Non-threaded

Forums » Reading Corner » Read Thread

Dust off a seat and discuss a good book here...you do read, right?

Cirque Du Freak (The Saga of Darren Shan)

7 years ago

Does anybody remember this gem of a series? I'm surprised I haven't read any of Darren Shan's other books after reading this series, I should as they seem very interesting, as this one did. The best part was no doubt the ending, it was thought-provoking and amazing. Although the series did have some small problems, every single book was an emotional coaster, filled to the brim with detail and charming characters. In fact, I don't think I disliked any of them for being annoying, being bland, or just in general not adding anything to the story. They were most certainly the strongest point of the series.

While I would love to delve into why I love this series so much, I won't for the sake of spoilers. Have you read this series before, and if so, what was your favorite aspect of it? I'd love to hear your opinions!

7 years ago
This is one of my favorite series but the ending was so mind-blowing. But it was sad about how they killed each other, and in the end, Darren still considered Steve as a brother.

7 years ago

Man, I remember that plot twist; completely mind-boggling, really put a new perspective on a character you previously hated. 

7 years ago

If this was a novel series, I read the manga. It was fantastic, very well done; the characters were realistic and the art style was even better. I'd recommend this to anyone who wants to sink their teeth into a good horror story. 

7 years ago

I knew there was another piece of media in the form of a movie, but I've never heard of the manga before. I'll be sure to give it a look in the future.

7 years ago

Yeah, there was a brief spat of Apprentice movies a few years ago, what with The Vampires Apprentice and The Sorceror's Apprentice and then The Spook's Apprentice, (I get that wasn't actually the movie's name, but that was the book's name, and that doesn't count because you know it was just trying to break the chain!) Of those three, I gotta say that TSA was the only good one, mainly because Jeff Bridges carried the whole thing, and 50% of the movie skipped all the lore of the book to show epic battles.

7 years ago

I remember reading this a long time ago.

I've forgotten most of it, most likely.

7 years ago

I read the manga, not the novels. I enjoyed most of the series, but it seemed the longer it dragged on the more I ended up disliking the series, but it never put me off completely from reading them, I just never got the chance to finish it.