Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Watch the Mars rover landing

3 years ago
Thanks to Ford for the link.

They're going over some info still but it's basically happening live right now.

3 years ago
bump because betaband immediately stole the index space to cheerlead for Jinping

3 years ago

You know I'm a dengist at heart. It is pretty much universally agreed over here that Deng was by far the best leader of the CCP.

3 years ago
The secondhand nerves are so real.

3 years ago
The chat spam on YouTube is obnoxious.

3 years ago
You can turn it off/hide it. I find the feed lag more obnoxious, I think it's a NASA to YouTube problem.

3 years ago
I thought it was just my connection until I saw 500 people shrieking about it in the chat.

3 years ago

You should be able to close that side chat window.

3 years ago
The efficient radio chatter is satisfying to listen to.

3 years ago
I just really really want for something to go right this year.

3 years ago

Is the helicopter scouting first before the rover moves or the other way around?

3 years ago
The helicopter is going to stay inside the rover a month or two before it's first flight. It's not really even there to gather information about Mars, it's more a proof of concept they can design future models from depending on how it does. This is the first time they've ever tried flying anything on another planet and there's stuff like the air pressure and gravity difference, plus the temperatures (-100C) that has to be factored in. https://www.sciencefocus.com/space/ingenuity-how-the-mars-helicopter-will-fly-on-another-planet/

3 years ago
The helicopter is going to stay inside the rover a month or two before its first flight. It's not really even there to gather information about Mars, it's more a proof of concept they can design future models from depending on how it does. This is the first time they've ever tried flying anything on another planet and there's stuff like the air pressure and gravity difference, plus the temperatures (-100C) that has to be factored in. https://www.sciencefocus.com/space/ingenuity-how-the-mars-helicopter-will-fly-on-another-planet/

3 years ago
Two minutes till entry.

3 years ago
HYP HYP HYP

3 years ago

Landed!

3 years ago
Actually sweating

3 years ago
Fucking hell that was tense. Once they got done with all the scripted educational stuff and just had the techs there visibly sweating.

So cool to see the visible relief after each stage of it and then a big room full of happy cheering nerds. I've seen Hollywood depictions of this same scene many times before and they just nothing on this.

@hetero_malk you can kick the crap out of beta now, thank you for your patience.

3 years ago

3 years ago
Sure is reassuring to know that there will never be any wars fought in space, because that would be illegal.

3 years ago
Interesting to think that as soon as we start populating space ethics go right out the fuckin window and will have to be defined by governing bodies on planets. The only comparable thing on Earth is people in rural areas where they can do whatever they want. Want to kill someone? Rape a child and toss their body out into the void? Lynch whatever race you don't like? Nobody is going to care cause it happened in space. Can't do shit about stuff you can't stop.

Humanity in space is a whole other being. The immense freedom will undoubtedly cause a new age of pirates with no realistic boundaries to actions besides individual morals. Crazy how nature do that.

3 years ago
Pretty sure billionaire CEOs are just going to run everything in space. I hope you're producing enough to cover your oxygen costs.

I don't like thinking of how set in stone this is going to be before normal people even have a chance to get out there though, because it's still full to imagine space as a frontier.

3 years ago
Looked up that Gregory Nemitz that was mentioned, he apparently claimed an asteroid back in 2000 and then tried to charge NASA for parking a robot on it.

Feels like there's a neat little sci fi story in that basic idea.