Non-threaded

Forums » The Parlor Room » Read Thread

Questions about a storygame? Thoughts on Eternal? Any other IF you're playing out there?

CYS Book Club

4 years ago
Commended by mizal on 8/9/2019 10:04:56 PM

So... I can't remember where I got the idea for this (think it might have been something that Cricket said.) Either way, looking at all the amazing games on the site, I'm sad to admit that I have done shamefully little reading in the several years that I've been a member. So many hidden gems and even the well-known classics that I've never even glanced over because I've been too busy with boring writing. Boo!

Any way, I thought it would be a fun idea to put together a little CYS "Book Club", where each week (or possibly month... Maybe even day, depending on the story length) a different member gets to choose a game on the site for everyone in the group to read and review. At the end of the week, we all gather round to sip tea, eat teacakes and talk about what we thought of it.

So, anybody interested in joining at all? ^_^

CYS Book Club

4 years ago
It's a great idea in theory, but everyone here is allergic to reading, or at least only does it very erratically depending on schedules, attention span, and the alignment of the stars over the Gobi Desert. If you can somehow corral these fuckos into regular activity you will deserve a medal. Maybe if the teacakes are REALLY good. Best of luck. I need to get back into reviewing myself.

CYS Book Club

4 years ago

I don't know, Mizal. I mean, Shouja was able to get everyone to do poetry for over a dozen weeks before that ended.

I was considering living up to my name and continuing the poetry threads, but I can't even make any good examples of the few types of poetry I can understand from online.

CYS Book Club

4 years ago

Having a reason to do more reading wouldn't hurt. I'm in, and I'm sure there are at least a dozen lurkers who would silently participate.

CYS Book Club

4 years ago
I'll join and reserve a few seats at the cool table for my fellow Marauders. No Architect nerds allowed.

CYS Book Club

4 years ago

That sounds like a lot of fun. I'd love to participate if you'll allow me.

CYS Book Club

4 years ago

This is the type of thing I'd be interested in. In the three months I've been active I have tried to be a model CYS citizen by providing (what I'd like to believe) are quality stories while at the same time making the effort to read and review other stories. I have a growing list of stories on my "saved" list for someday when I have time. The problem is that I want to write as well, and therefore can't commit myself to participating in every single review. I would join in when I have the opportunity.

My initial thoughts on the format:

• Whether it be weekly or monthly depends on the length of the story. A week probably would suffice for most of the stories here, but there are a few monsters out there that would probably require more time.
  • There may need to be a minimum point threshold for participation. It doesn't have to be high, but the discussions would probably be more fruitful if they weren't cluttered with noob interruptions. A member doesn't have to be active for long on this site to demonstrate a genuine interest in reading/writing, and the idiots typically reveal their true qualities within a short amount of time.
  • Participation shouldn't be mandatory (i.e. no "shaming" for missing a week, or whatever) because I doubt even I could live up to those expectations. The value of such a club is that we would be modeling the kind of thoughtful CYStian citizenship that we hope others would want to immitate. (Yes, there I go again with my unfounded optimism...)

Those are my two cents.

CYS Book Club

4 years ago
All of these, plus stories should be limited to ones that are actually worth reading and have authors that have logged in in the past year.

Last time I tried to encourage people to review, most of them went straight for the bottom of the barrel.

CYS Book Club

4 years ago

So, the stories would have to have a minimum rating, or meet some other criterium.

CYS Book Club

4 years ago

Hmm... I dunno. I doubt anybody would recommend a game that they new was shit... Unless it was a noob recommending their own game... Then it could possibly be fun having the whole group come together to tell the poor bugger exactly how shit their game is and exactly what it is that makes their game so shit. cheeky

CYS Book Club

4 years ago

I disagree with your second point.

Points are meaningless, and they can vanish at the blink of an eye. Well, for me anyway. Seems to be only me that parts with all their points at certain intervals. Anyways, I'm sure there is a more effective method of filtering out the undesirables.

CYS Book Club

4 years ago

Well, glad to see there's a bit of interest. I think I'll start the bookclub off now. Going to start off with a pretty short game, so if more people want to join throughout the week, then they still have plenty of time to read it. ^_^