The Will to Live

a Horror by boeboe

Player Rating3.78/8

"#497 overall, #44 for 2014"
based on 59 ratings since 05/12/2014
played 761 times (finished 65)

"trek through the forest"

"So short yo' momma thought it was a recipe"

"aren't you a little too old to be trick or treating"
Some material may be inappropriate for persons under age 13. If this were a movie, it would probably be PG-13.

You were a great lawyer, fighting to protect innocent people and put away the bad guys of Manhattan. Now, your status as one of the greats is gone because of a case nine years ago. You prosecuted an innocent man and sent him to prison for life. That case ruined your life, and now that condemned man, Matthew Emerson, is free, released from prison a year ago upon a careful review of the evidence. A new suspect, Grayson, is being searched for to replace Emerson's spot in prison.
Is Emerson going to try and get revenge for his lost decade and will the mad murderer Grayson be found? Many trials, including yourself, await you on this adventure to survive and maybe even close the case that took away so many lives nine years ago.

Note: This is a serious game, meant for mature audiences only.

Wow. This game certainly succeeded in setting a certain kind of tone for the reader, that tone being rather intense and dark. Every choice that I found myself making, took heavy contemplating, because each choice was made with survival in mind.

My only complaint was that this was rather short, it was certainly well-written, but the length and linearity were things that I didn't really enjoy. This was still quite good for a short story, though.

Bravo :)
-- TharaApples on 10/18/2016 3:54:17 PM with a score of 0
As a storygame, I think the longest path I've found is only four pages. Not really enough choices for me to give it a high rating, especially when the intro promised me "Many trials, including yourself, await you on this adventure to survive and maybe even close the case that took away so many lives nine years ago."

As a very very short story, it's decent. Some run-on sentences, some awkward phrasing, and some confusing parts. I think you definitely put some effort into the story. If it were lengthened and more interactivity added, it would be a very nice game.

-- Sethaniel on 6/25/2014 1:48:40 PM with a score of 0
The game was very well written, but there weren't enough choices for me to consider it a serious story game. As a short story though, it was exceptional. I'd say the biggest fault I could find in the story was the whole idea of a lawyer that was driven to depression after he sent an innocent man to jail. Lawyers send innocent people to jail all the time. It's what they get paid for. When a lawyer gets hired for a case, they have to do the best they can to win, whether they're prosecuting a man they know is innocent, or defending a man they know is guilty. If the story had been about a police inspector or a private detective that got an innocent man sent to jail, it would've made a lot more sense. Still, very impressive writing skills. ^_^
-- Briar_Rose on 6/25/2014 6:36:08 AM with a score of 0
Well, that was over really quickly but there was still a significant amount of content nonetheless. It felt like most of the "bad" choices led to early endings where you either died or got to watch someone else die. No real sense of closure, really.
-- Saika on 9/19/2017 4:59:24 AM with a score of 0
Very good story, could however be a bit longer or more interactive.
-- insanebutvain on 9/8/2014 5:43:18 AM with a score of 0
Oh, so if I decide not t kill myself, I die. If decide to kill myself, I live...

Anyway, I like the detals in the actions, but the story is just too linear if you want to avoid a one-choice-death.
-- PcGenie on 8/21/2014 2:17:20 PM with a score of 0
Great work! Engaging, inventive, and surprising--I didn't expect to die given the choices I made.
-- thefinalgirl on 5/19/2014 6:08:20 PM with a score of 0
Wait... does Alexander kill me?
-- Boringfirelion on 5/18/2014 7:20:39 PM with a score of 0
Short, but verbose. 7/8.
-- jamescoker1226 on 5/16/2014 8:54:39 PM with a score of 0
Side note: This was a creative story for a class so the length and content was limited :)
-- boeboe on 5/13/2014 10:01:36 PM with a score of 0