Non-threaded

Forums » Advanced Editor Forum » Read Thread

Get help from the experts on variables, scripts, items, and other scary things.

Variables

7 years ago

I need to know how to create Variables. The variables page isn't really helping me and I need to know how I make them in my story.

Variables

7 years ago

Yes but I need a helpful guide on how to make and add variables to my story.

Variables

7 years ago
Going into your story and clicking the Variables tab is a good place to start.

Variables

7 years ago
What information do you need? Why are you adding them? What do you want them to do in your story?

Variables

7 years ago

I want to make my story more interactive for people who play it e.g. names, leveling up, and combat.

Variables

7 years ago

But I need help from another member.

Variables

7 years ago
In all honesty if you struggle to simply add variables to your story then most of that is well beyond your current abilities. Try to make an easier story game for your first one.

Variables

7 years ago
You're really going to have to be more specific in explaining what it is you want to do and how, and what it is specifically you're not understanding. For pretty much anything you're wanting to do, a variable is a variable.

Though while I haven't looked at your game, I'm really getting the impression you may need to work more on honing basic writing skills before worrying about tacking on more gamelike elements.

What is the plot you're going with, for starters? That's going to make or break it faster than whatever vague ideas you have about a combat system will.

@Endmaster This should probably be moved? E: oh look that's Killa right there. Hi Killa. Should this be moved?

Variables

7 years ago
Yeah probably should.

Variables

7 years ago

Well do you know how I can put a currency system into my game. So if I wanted to have the player be able to buy a dagger they would pay 100 gold or something. How do I make sure this is doable in the game? What do I type in the variables?

Variables

7 years ago
Variables only hold numbers. They don't do anything themselves. You can't just put a currency system into a game, you have to make it.

In order to add functionality, you either have to use scripting, or manipulate the variables via links.

Variables

7 years ago
You create a variable for amount of gold, then you adjust the number whenever they make a choice that would effect it. This goes for levels or anything else you want the game to keep track of. Like Killa said, a variable is just a number with a label on it. The article you were linked to explains all this.

I really, really think it may be best for you to just focus on writing a simple story while you're starting out.

Variables

7 years ago
Or for a slightly more detailed answer, so you get an idea of what is involved:

You would need to create a variable to store the amount of gold the character has at the moment.
You need to set values on that currency.
You need to write code to add specific numbers to the amount of gold when the reader does something that you want to add to the gold (or include the changes in the links as they are selected).
You need to write code to reduce the number stored in the variable when the reader does something that would require the number to be reduced (or include the changes in the links as they are selected).
You need to write one (or more) pages to determine how, where, and when to display the amount of gold stored in the currency variable (or need to include the code for displaying that on every page; or on a global page).

And I've probably missed some information...

Variables

7 years ago
Good post but they're apparently still stuck at the brick wall of 'click create variable button to create variable' so I'm not sure how helpful it will be in this particular case.

Variables

7 years ago

Actually, they know how to do that now. They're still trying to comprehend the idea of variables though :c

They keep asking me what they have to put in in the variable name to make it so that the item they're trying to sell will cost money. I'm kind of thinking of handing them to Brad.

Variables

7 years ago

*twitches*

Urrrrgh. Hang on...

Now with this handy visual guide, no one ever needs to ask questions about variables again! You're welcome, CYS.

Variables

7 years ago
That IS a handy visual guide, right there.

Variables

7 years ago
Just stop helping them. They've already been told variables do nothing unless you script or modify their values via link.

Them being retarded and thinking if you give it a certain name it will give it a magical function despite already being told that's not how it works makes them not worth helping.

Variables

7 years ago
That's what I told mizal when she asked me to explain it to him earlier this afternoon. They just want you to do everything for them... which mizal kind of did.

Variables

7 years ago

Don't worry, this seems like a very special child so I'm sure they're still plenty confused.

Variables

7 years ago

I advised them to work on the "story" part of storygame first, since I looked at their game. The writing seemed rather ah...stilted and didn't flow well. The run on sentences and oddly placed commas did not help.

Oh well. I hope they figure out what to do. Pictures might help more than words :)