Non-threaded

Forums » Advanced Editor Forum » Read Thread

Get help from the experts on variables, scripts, items, and other scary things.

Good battles

7 years ago

Can anyone tell me how to make a good battle, like in dungeon stompage?

Good battles

7 years ago
I will repeat this again...especially the last part.

"Well, first off, you'll need to know the basics of scripting and variables.

Then you'll need to know this. And here's a better article on Random variables.

And some other stuff.

I would highly recommend you got more familiar with how to make a chooseyourstory before you attempt this :)"

Good battles

7 years ago

@Endmaster  This is a duplicate of the thread in the newbie section.

Good battles

7 years ago

I just really wanted an answer, or multiple to piece them together

Good battles

7 years ago

Click my links.

Good battles

7 years ago

OK thanks :3

Good battles

7 years ago

^_^

No problem. If you need help with any of that, PMing me would probably be a good idea.

Good battles

7 years ago

I said this in the other thread, but you may want to worry about writing out a good battle in just the regular way before worrying about scripting. Variables aren't going to save a badly written or uninteresting game.

Good battles

7 years ago

*sigh* They just don't seem to listen; they think they got the writing part down because, "Oh, hey. It's ONLY a game." They're too excited to learn how to script or whatnot and the writing just goes over their heads - usually. But hey, they're eager to learn how to script battles now, but writing skills would just need working on later.

Good battles

7 years ago

Trust me I am currently making like a tester game that I'm not going to publish, I'm just figuring stuff out first before I dive into making a full game

Good battles

7 years ago
It is quite easy to create a basic system honestly. Just check out Tsmpaul and BerkaZerka's article if you are already familiar with basics. On thing I would like to advice is that when scripting, always make sure that you do most of the complicated things using scripts ($DEST function for example) instead of links and restrictions. I spent more time fixing my game than creating it becuase I screwed up the random gen system.

Good battles

7 years ago
Another piece of advice: Keep the articles open in separate tabs when scripting and learn along. Don't try to learn everything in one go. Also, when scripting, go full on. Use scripting for everything, even minor variable changes. :)

Good battles

7 years ago

Oh okay. That's good! You'll need practice for later on, and lots of people do that too.

Good battles

7 years ago

Thanks!!!!