Non-threaded

Forums » Creative Corner » Read Thread

Take part in collaborative works, share your short stories, poems, original artwork and more.

Writing Prompts - Day 5

7 years ago

Rules:

1. Pick one of the prompts and write about it for no more than 20 minutes. You can write for longer if you want, but only words written during the 20 minutes count towards your total, so mark where you ran out of time.

2. You will be graded on wordcount and overall coherence. You will not be graded on quality, so write as fast as you can while still producing something that makes sense and would be salvageable with cleanup. It doesn't have to have an ending or form a complete story, but it should at least read like an excerpt from a longer work.

3. When you're done, post your wordcount. Posting your story is optional. We understand it will be terrible.

4. You may go back and work on previous days if you missed them.

5. You may write fanfiction if your heart desires.

Prompt #1: Someone wakes up inside a strange scientific facility.

Prompt #2: http://jjcanvas.deviantart.com/art/Swamp-177420337

@WouldntItBeNice @Steve24833 @JJJ-thebanisher @Seto @bbshark @Bucky @mizal @FrankIevatus  @TheNewIAP @Romulus @TacocaT @Crescentstar

Writing Prompts - Day 5

7 years ago

Attempted Prompt #1:

Word count

Pages 2
Words 333
Characters 1980
Characters excluding spaces

Going to attempt the ones I missed later.

Writing Prompts - Day 5

7 years ago

Nice, you're getting faster! Please do go back and do the others.

Writing Prompts - Day 5

7 years ago
Well, I tried this, for the first time. I got 570 words in total, but now when I went and read the story, I can see it's absolute shit. At least it gives me ideas for the future, but I'm not posting it here.

Writing Prompts - Day 5

7 years ago

That's fine. Everything everyone writes for these is shit, but you don't have to post it. The important thing is that you did the exercise, so nice job!

Writing Prompts - Day 5

7 years ago

Do we time ourselves?

Writing Prompts - Day 5

7 years ago

Yes.

Writing Prompts - Day 5

7 years ago

There are plenty of online timers, but I try to stay offline when writing to avoid distractions. Cool Timer is what I've been using.

We're all basically just doing these on the honor system so I guess technically you could take as long as you want, but it kind of misses the point to exaggerate your word count. It's an exercise meant to help you as a writer and the only one effected would be yourself. 

Writing Prompts - Day 5

7 years ago

Prompt #1, 449 words.

But no story today.

Writing Prompts - Day 5

7 years ago

489 words

It is green forevermore as I step into the world. It is a quiet place with solemn drops of water beating down from the rain above. It trickles down to where I now stand. I look up to see the clouds of many shapes, but it is blocked by the towering trees overhead. Their leaves create green rays of sunlight... it tints everything into a dreary delight.

I hear a frog croak a song of delight for both he and I love the rain. He hops to a small waterfall and disappears into the blue and green abyss. I step under a pouch of wood, for my body's warmth is being given to the rain. I trace my fingers over the bark of the porch. Small pieces rub off, and I smell the heavenly aroma. We live in live. Unlike the others who live out there, we in here tend to care. We sow our houses out of the trees. They are not harmed ever under our watch.

The rain slowly abates, so I continue my nigly walk. I pass by my neighbors preparing their meals with their families. I feel sorrow for a moment... reliving the past, but a burst of wind blows by. It rustles the leaves, and I realize I still have a family. They are massive beyond compare, but they take care of me, provide for me, and stay with me. I look up and whisper, "I love you too." A drop of water kisses my nose.

I stop on my walk and sit down on the path. I let my feet dangle over the endge and tap the waters below me. Small ripples are formed that seem to expand beyond my sight. A fish swims by. He pauses for a moment, and I gaze at it. I pull out some crumbs left in my pocket and toss it into the water. As it sinks below, the fish swallows them as. It searches for more above, but finds none. It swims away... peaceful, like this forest.

I raise myself up and walk back to my house. I eat alone except for my tree who is there watching me all around. I walk to my room passing one that's been empty for too long. I get into my bed. I toss and turn. It's too large for one person... It still  doesn't feel right.

I pull the covers up to my neck and let the warmth embrace me while a melodic creaking fills my ears as the tree sways ever so slightly from left to right. As I drift off to sleep, I take my arm out from the covers, and coldness rushes in for only a moment. Then, it disappears. My my hand, I rest it on the wall. I can almost feel a heartbeat. I can almost hear breathing. I can almost hear a voice.

I fall asleep with my hand on the bark.

Writing Prompts - Day 5

7 years ago

This is very peaceful and sweet. Leafblooded tree bumpkin! Noodle-eared bark-biter!

Good imagery and atmosphere, though I like that there's those hints of something else going on with someone missing so that it's not just a bunch of description.

Writing Prompts - Day 5

7 years ago

471, then I just finished up the last sentence. Both prompts! Though I ran out of time before I could do much with the second.

Something is wrong.

You open your eyes to a dim, cluttered room with pale green light playing against the wall, fighting a wave of disorientation. Your head feels stuffy and a feverish warmth roils throughout your body. After an attempt to sort out in your mind just where you are and what’s going on leaves you none the wiser, you smack dry lips, frowning at the lingering taste of something cloying and sweet in your otherwise cotton-dry mouth, and attempt to sit up.

Immediately the sense of wrongness deepens.

Your limbs feel numb and heavy, responding like leaden weights. Reaching up to rub wearily at your face, a new and dreadful confusion darts into you at the sound of metal on metal. With the exception of your eyes, mouth, and jaw, your face is encased in some kind of mask. Peering at your fingers in the pale, flickering light shows what looks like some kind of dull grey metal as well, joints so cleverly wrought that your hands scrabble at each other in vain to try and pry at a seam. The metal plates your wrists and forearms as well. It goes up past the shoulders, and past them, covers your back and torso, your legs...

In fact, as your numb hands slowly discover, it seems you’re covered head to toe, and you’re not having the slightest success in figuring out a way to pull the imprisoning metal coating off.     

Suffused with a dull dread and growing panic, you turn your attention to the room around you, searching for answers. The sickly light originates from a glass vat of bubbling green liquid, lit from behind with a complicated collection of tubes running to and fro to a long table filled with other equipment nearby. Black iron machines with claw feet, covered in strange gears and levers or belching puffs of steam gives the whole place a quaintly old fashioned and fantastical look, like something out of a storybook. The proportions of everything seem bizarrely off, which you attribute to your general disorientation until you force yourself unsteadily to your feet and you head smacks the ceiling.

Everything in here, from the doors to the ceiling to the furniture, is about half the size it should be. Bent nearly double, you grope your way toward the door, suddenly desperate for fresh air and enough light to examine yourself to try and see just what is going on and what to do about it. Wrenching it open and crawling outside, you’re met by the odor of wet and rotting vegetation--at least your sense of smell still works, you’re relieved to note--and find your hands and knees sinking into sucking black mud and straighten up, standing with difficulty and staring all around at clusters of strange little houses built into towering trees dotting the landscape of an unfamiliar swamp.