Non-threaded

Forums » Creative Corner » Read Thread

Take part in collaborative works, share your short stories, poems, original artwork and more.

Writing Prompts #13

7 years ago

Sorry, I forgot to post yesterday. Next prompt is on Thursday.

Rules:

1. Pick one of the prompts and write about it for no more than 20 minutes. You can write for longer if you want, but only words written during the 20 minutes count towards your total, so mark where you ran out of time.

2. You will be graded on wordcount and overall coherence. You will not be graded on quality, so write as fast as you can while still producing something that makes sense and would be salvageable with cleanup. It doesn't have to have an ending or form a complete story, but it should at least read like an excerpt from a longer work.

3. When you're done, post your wordcount. Posting your story is optional. We understand it will be terrible.

4. You may go back and work on previous days if you missed them.

5. You may write fanfiction if your heart desires.

Prompt #1: Several generations into a generation ship's voyage to a distant star, disagreement over the purpose of the journey leads to rebellion.

Prompt #2: A lady in a raincoat holding a grenade with the pin out making a "don't come closer" gesture

@WouldntItBeNice @Steve24833 @JJJ-thebanisher @Seto @bbshark @Bucky @mizal @FrankIevatus @TheNewIAP @Romulus @TacocaT @Crescentstar @Mayana @Zulutrader @MasonJarGuzzi @Ogre11

Writing Prompts #13

7 years ago

"SOMEBODY ATE THE ******* RECORDS?"

"Dude, calm down," Jack reassures, lifting a hand non-threatening. "There should be a backup, and besides, you can't eat a digital file."

"This is so stupid! This stupid trip to some stupid star and everyone is just going to die or mutate because it'll end up as brothers ******* sisters!" Brick basically roars.

"But we have to make it to the planet. It's our job," Vida reasons, though her words seem to reflect off his skull.

"What about what we want?" Harvest, the calmer of the two asks. "According to the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, we get to choose."

"Exactly!" Brick agrees, grabbing onto Harvest's point, probably because he's unable to make his own.

"This isn’t about us. This is about the human species.” Vida’s face is already becoming flushed from the argument. She can’t stand having Brick and the others yelling in the same room.

“Then I quit,” Brick states, so conclusively and simply that we all stare at him for a moment.

Harvest picks up for him. “What is the purpose of us going to some foreign solar system? If the goal is unclear, best not pursue it lest we be harmed. And it’s true; one day, our children will have to live on this ship, and they won’t incest at the price of their pride. Would you, Jack, **** *** with Vida?”

He looks uncomfortable at the question. Of course he wouldn’t.

“Then what makes you think your children would? Would you condemn your legacy to do so?”

Again, that wince.

“Precisely. We’re taking over this ship. We’re turning this ship around. We can try going to the nearest habitable planet instead of something still a hundred generations away. There’s a map. There’s research. It’s just the records of the instructions we lost.”

Words: 298

Sorry about that disappointing word count. I've been having trouble writing lately. I wrote this at school (not as a class thing, just in my own time), hence the * for the "inappropriate" content.

Writing Prompts #13

7 years ago

Prompt number one reminds me of a movie idea script I came up with once, but a little different.  So I'll do prompt 2:

Detective Donson doesn't move a muscle.  His brow sweats and his hands shake.  He doesn't dare draw his pistol, or approach.  In front of him is a lady, standing out in the rain, she holds a grenade with the pin pulled.  Donson believes he'll be out of range of the blast, but this won't be good.  She gestures for him not to come any closer, and unsurprisingly he complies.

"I can help you, throw that grenade down the sewage drain under the sidewalk." Donson says.

She smirks tosses the grenade at Donson's feet.  He yells in terror and runs around the corner of the building he is near.  He waits for the explosion...

and waits....and waits....

He looks around the corner, and slowly and carefully walks over to the grenade.  Donson picks, it up, it's definitely a real grenade.  She must have tampered with it so it wouldn't explode, maybe removed whatever mechanism makes it work.  Donson sighs in relief, but then remembers he has a criminal to catch.  

The nearest, and most suitable route of escape is the subway station, so he hauls ass down the steps and into the crowded subway station.  He pushes people as he goes telling them he's on police business and showing his badge.  Donson reaches the bottom of the steps and looks over the crowd of people.  He sees the woman in the raincoat, and he quickly makes his way through the crowd towards her.  She glances back at Donson, then to her right, and then keeps going.  Donson looks to his left and sees a man in a large coat, wearing a fedora and sunglasses.  All black. 

Donson furrows his brows as he sees a bald man dressed the same in front of him, but with no hat obviously.  Almost simultaneously the two men draw sub-machine guns from under their coats.  Donsons ducks down as they fire through the crowd of people, trying to kill Donson.  Women and men are killed right in front of him, and a particularly heavy man is riddled with bullets, falling and knocking Donson down as bullets whizz around him.  As Donson hits the ground he manages to draw his pistol.  There's blood all over him, his ears are ringing, his heart is pumping, and people are screaming everywhere.  They are either wounded or screaming in fear.  The big bald guy runs out of bullets and drops the clip from his weapon.

Donson lays down flat and sees the skinnier man approaching, trying to find him in the bodies.  Donson raises his gun and shoots the man in the chest, the man looks surprised to have been shot.  Almost on instinct, Donson pulls the trigger two more times, and the man falls down.  Donson turns to fire at the bald guy but he is already running through a crowd of people.  Donson pushes the dead man off of him and gives chase.  (What I believe to be the 20 minute mark)

After some time they reach the next train platform, and Donsons sees the man running to the next train, pushing people as he goes.  The man stops and points his gun at Donson.  He fires haphazardly, hitting the bald man in the hand.  He drops his weapon and crouches down.  Donson reaches the man and kicks the gun onto the tracks and under the train before the man can reach for it again.  The man pushes Donson onto the ground before he can do anything else.  The bald man bolts onto the train.

Donsons pulls himself up and barely makes it onto the train.  He scans around for the big man, but strangely doesn't see any sign of him.  The train starts to go, and the people look scared shitless that a man with a gun has hopped on board.  He quickly grabs and reveals his badge.

"Police!  Has anyone seen a big bald guy running through here, shot through the hand?" Donsons asks.

Nobody says anything but a middle aged Asian man tilts his head to the next train car.  Donsons carefully makes his way over there.  He peeks in the window and sees a man sitting on the floor, holding a wound.  The big bald man appears to be fighting with the women he was chasing, the one with the rain coat.  Donson slowly opens the door and steps into the cart.

"Police! Put your hands up!" he shouts.               

The bald man glances at Donson with a malice the likes of which he had only ever seen from his ex-wife.  The man pulls the women in front of him and holds the tip of a large knife to her neck. 

"Don't come any closer coppa', or I'll kill her." he says.

"Just put the knife down," Donson says, "we can talk about this."

"No..we can't.  You killed Clarence!"

"That's what happens when you shoot at a police officer." Donsons says.

"If you don't turn around and let us go," the bald man says," I'll kill her."

Donson slightly lowers his gun and ever so painstakingly take a step closer.

"Listen man," he says," I know you and that women are working together, so is killing your only back up really gonna help you?"

The bald man stops to think.

"It doesn't matter," he says," we'll all be smoldering pieces of debris by the time this has run it's course, in the meantime, you and the women will die."

Donson lowers the gun.

"Go ahead." he says.

The bald man is taken aback.

"Kill her, I don't care about her.  This bitch threw a grenade at me.  I'm not going to pretend to care about saving her...it's just part of the job." Donson says.

Donson drops his pistol and kicks it over to the bald guy.

"First her...then you." the bald man says.

The bald man pulls the knife away to prepare to stab her in the neck, in the same motion, Donson draws his .38 caliber snub nose revolver.  The bald guy looks forward, and he doesn't even hear the pop as the bullet smashes through his forehead and tears through his brain.  The bald guy drops the knife and the woman, who almost falls to the ground.  Donson and she both stare at the bald guy as he totters from side to side before falling down.  Donson points his gun at the women, and takes his other pistol back.  At this point people are screaming in terror.

"Who are you?" he asks.

Just then he feels a sharp pain in the back of his head and crumples to the floor, engulfed in darkness.

[494 as of 20 minute mark]