Non-threaded

Forums » Creative Corner » Read Thread

Take part in collaborative works, share your short stories, poems, original artwork and more.

Poetry Prompts - Week 9

6 years ago

This week's topic: Summer. 

I don't know what the weather's like in whatever places you are all living, but over here, it's been warm and muggy all month. After the cold dreariness of the past few months, with everyone complaining about the cold and the rain, we've therefore reached the time for our annual summer tradition of complaining about the heat and the humidity. In order to all get your into a proper summer mood, write poem for this week's prompt that in some (small or large) way can be linked to summer. 

As always, feel free to post whatever poem (of your own making) you like in this thread, as long as it is in some way connected to the week's prompt. For people that like a little friendly competition, I'll include a (newly scrubbed-clean) points list which each thread. If you post a poem in one of these threads, you'll receive one point. I'll also include an optional requirement each week (See below), that'll give you another point if properly fulfilled. 

----

This week's optional requirement: Incorporate Dactyls and/or Anapests in your poem. 

In the very first week of these prompt threads, we discussed metre in (English-language) poetry, and the fact that this 'rhythm' of a poem is made up of alternating stressed and unstressed syllables. We thereby discussed both iambs (a pair of unstressed-stressed syllables, da-DUM) and trochees (stressed-unstressed, DUM-da). 

Though iambs and trochees lie at the basis of many forms of poetry, the constant drone of two-syllabled pairs can sometimes become a bit boring after a while. Therefore, to spice things up a bit, the logical next step would be to take a look at three-syllabled metric elements, in the form of Anapests and Dactyls. 

Basically speaking, both anapests and dactyls continue on from the earlier iambs and trochees, by adding an extra unstressed syllable to either. For example, whereas iambs (da-DUM) start with one unstressed syllable, an Anapest consists of two unstressed syllables, followed by a stressed syllable (da-da-DUM). A good example of anapests in 'real' poetry would for example be Poe's 'Annabel Lee' (e.g. "For the moon never beams without bringing me dreams"). The stressed syllables are thereby bolded. 

If the anapest is the logical step up from an iamb, the step from a two-syllabled trochee (DUM-da) is the three-syllabled Dactyl (DUM-da-da), made up of one stressed syllable, followed by two unstressed ones. Though dactyls are used a bit less frequently than anapests, an example of a dactylic poem could be Browning's 'The Lost Leader' (e.g. "Just for a handful of silver he left us").

As the line from Browning's poem already somewhat shows, it could sound a bit weird to only use dactyls and anapests in your poem, and it often sounds better to cut an unstressed syllable somewhere (Browning ends on a trochee), or otherwise mix them up with other metric elements. For example, in poems that rely heavily on anapests, the first line often starts with an iamb, to provide some necessary variety in the rhythm. An example of this could be: 

While dancing away to the song of the birds
I was singing along to their song without words.

There are plenty other examples to give, and forms of metre to discuss, but this post is already getting quite long. And besides, it's often better (and decidedly more fun) to experiment with different forms of metre on your own. The only thing you have to remember for the purpose of this exercise is: 

Anapest: a set of three syllables, unstressed-unstressed-stressed. 
Dactyl: a set of three syllables, stressed-unstressed-unstressed.

Have fun writing!

Poetry Prompts - Week 9

6 years ago

@Bannerlord @Crescentstar @Orange @Mizal @Lancelot @Mayana @Betaband @Kwism1127 @Leoscales7 @bbshark @Drew8521 @BerkaZerka @TheBlackDragon04 @StrykerL @Palepaper

As the previous prompt thread was quite a long time ago, I decided to reset the usual point list. @Orange got the most points in the previous series of poetry prompts, and he therefore gets a well-deserved, hearty pat on the back.

As always, giving feedback is encouraged, but please don't reply to the entries directly if they're not edit-locked, so people can still change them if they want to. Everyone is also free to join these threads, let me know if you want to be included on, or removed from the tagging list. 

Poetry Prompts - Week 9

6 years ago
Summer in India is marked by the scorching heat of summer across April through June, quenched by the stormclouds of the monsoon. The monsoon lasts for nearly three months, and everyday life changes. Today was the first day of the monsoon, so on that note I write.

Stormclouds gather,
The peacocks cry,
Rainy weather,
Through day and night

The seasons change,
As the raging heat gives way,
To walking under an umbrella,
Savoring the rain

A time to stay indoors,
listen as the pitter patter
goes on for days and days
and sit back, nursing
a warm cup of coffee,
and a gentle book,
as the rain pours on,
led by the smell of petrichor

The mangoes are gone,
But the strawberries are near,
Between jalebis and pakode,
There's a feast ahead,
Bring the family, bring your friends,
The monsoons are here,
The monsoons are finally here!

Starlight Waltz

6 years ago

In the sweltering heat

Of a summer so sweet

We were waltzing the starlight away

With no reason or rhyme

We forgot to keep time

As the night faded into the day

We acted the part

Of a pure piece of art

As we danced into the lagoon

The moon hit your eye

Concealing the lie

You told me that hot afternoon

You said you were free

For an hour or three

I accepted to dance with a grin

But when the day broke

A word was not spoke

When we waltzed as strangers again

Poetry Prompts - Week 9

6 years ago

For the goodbyes and the fresh starts,

It seems to be just anything but,

With constant contact from the friends of old

And the lack of prospects in the sunny gold.

First it was raining, and then it was pouring,

An everlasting grey and boring days to pass

The time away.

Times when I wish I could hold a job,

Times when I wish I could hold your face

In my hands, I certainly have no other plans.

But new leaves and new luck bring me new hope

As the sun kicks into high gear,

Wish you were here

Now that time's up. 

Poetry Prompts - Week 9

6 years ago

I was digging through my old school stuff a few weeks ago and found my poem book from middle school. This prompt reminded me of something I wrote in there, so I'm posting it here for the amusement of random strangers on the internet.

~~~~~

Summer Daisies

All over the fields, the daisies grew
Between grass and shrubs, and flowers, too.
They swayed in the breeze as the warm wind blew.
They sparkled in the sun like the morning's dew.

With ivory white petals and a center of gold,
And tall green stems, and leaves that fold,
They stood in the meadows, so brave and bold.
They looked young and fresh, and never too old.

So soft and wild, those daisies grew
As the calm breeze and warm wind blew.
There are millions and billions, but never a few,
And they sparkled like the morning's dew.

~~~~~

Somewhat pointless and cringe worthy, I know, but my twelve-year-old self was proud. I probably won't get around to writing a real poem for this prompt this week, but I could use some poetry writing exercises in the future. Please add me to the tagging list? Thanks :)

Poetry Prompts - Week 9

6 years ago
This subject just moves me.

Fuck summer!
FUCK HUMIDITY!
Fuck five months
Of boiling outdoor sauna.

Fuck teenage drivers
Fuck my car
It's an oven now
Fuck rattlesnakes

Fuck drain flies
Fuck fire ants
Fuck crazy ants
Fuck yellow jackets!

OH GOD THESE WASPS
THEY'RE EVERYWHERE
They're in my house, I'm scared :(

And did you know
Mud dauber nests are full
Of paralyzed SPIDERS???

FUCK MOTHER NATURE
That bitch just nasty
Nobody likes her
Nobody wants this.
BURN IT ALL DOWN

Poetry Prompts - Week 9

6 years ago

*ecstatic clapping*

Truly touching, with a subtle energy that carries the irreverent mood with ease.

Poetry Prompts - Week 9

6 years ago
Thought my poem could use an illustration:

They are on the back patio, holding a ladder hostage. I have sprayed them--twice--since May. They die and then they come back.

I don't like to think of what mutant spawn could be brewing within that nest given they've spent their entire development period soaking in toxins.