Non-threaded

Forums » Creative Corner » Read Thread

Take part in collaborative works, share your short stories, poems, original artwork and more.

Weekly Prompts

5 years ago

Hello everyone! I'm currently working on a huge project that involves a lot of writing, but I'm only one person that can only do so much. I was looking around for people who'd like to help me write on all sorts of other websites but couldn't come across any that had users willing to work for free. Instead I had this idea to write up a bunch of prompts to inspire the creativity of some writers by giving them a week to write up something based on what I give them in 1-5 sentences.

The reason I bring this up is because I want to see if any of you want to get involved! The current one will end tomorrow (for me anyway) and I'll post a new prompt for you guys to write about. This will become a weekly thing I am looking forward to doing.

The winner will be up to a vote by the many different communities that are already a part of this. If you want to join, I'll post the next prompt tomorrow for you all to write about! All of these will be going on over on a blog I created just now by the same name of this post. The permalink is as follows:

https://weeklypromptswithevan.blogspot.com/

Weekly Prompts

5 years ago
I'm probably never going to think to check a blog but if you paste them here with a clickable link to the URL for submission attached you might get a few bites, although maybe some weeks more than others. Most of the more active members are busy with contest stories right now, but prompt threads used to be pretty popular here.

Are there any rules as far as maturity ratings, and are these supposed to be complete stories?

Also, is it a requirement to use the prompt verbatim or are they just for inspiration?

'Bright neon lights outline high, towering buildings in bright colors, colossal hyper-blimps dot the skies, and large, holographic ads cycle from one to the next all across the city.'

Because ngl that is pretty adjective heavy and if I were using it to start a story I'd probably want to trim it down.

(And what's the huge project you're working on?)

Weekly Prompts

5 years ago

There are no maturity rules as long as there are no images that have gore or nudity. Other things you cannot include:

- URLs to any site I don't approve of in advance
- Flashing images
- Unnecessary racial or sexual slang
- Loud audio

You do not have to use the prompt in your submission unless I say otherwise. You are free to use it if you would like.

The huge project I'm working on is technically two projects. They're two separate video games I plan to release at the same time. Both will be incredibly text heavy. I could really use the help.

I will try to post the prompt here every week along with the links to vote on, submit, and view all of the submissions for that week. I just released this weeks prompt today. If any of you want to join in, submit your short story using this link:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/19P2xBlJQfCvs4lI68s6GltVW6jI9iKzKS26aIU8MxNA/edit

You can't vote today because I don't want stories that are incredibly short. The longer they are the better. They don't have to necessarily "end", but they do have to make sense.

This week's prompt:

"I'm impatient. I've always hated waiting. I avoid waiting in line whenever possible, but this is the one time I have to wait. And not only do I have to wait, but I've already waited 15 minutes since I arrived. That's 15 minutes longer than I am normally willing to wait. Did she set me up?

But… is that...? Could it be her? StarPower2000? She looks like her profile picture at least."

Weekly Prompts

5 years ago

What exactly will these text entries be used for in-game?

Weekly Prompts

5 years ago

The ones you submit will not end up being in game unless they are voted the best for that week. Those that win several times over will be asked to help me work on the story for the games.

I've written up a new prompt for this week. If you want to write a few paragraphs you guys are welcome to do so and submit yours using the following link.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/19P2xBlJQfCvs4lI68s6GltVW6jI9iKzKS26aIU8MxNA/edit

Weekly Prompts

5 years ago
How much response have you gotten to this?

And good luck with the games and all but honestly you will probably get a lot more interest (not just here but from the internet in general) once you have some kind of playable demo up. Right now it's just vague promises of text games which isn't really going to get anyone excited unless they like doing writing prompts on their own already.

Speaking of which, I know there's a couple of reddits out there somewhere that people post writing prompts at, it might be helpful for you to hunt those down if you haven't already.

Weekly Prompts

5 years ago

I've actually created a D&D homebrew world map for "proof of concept" for one of my games. I even created a custom map for it and everything.

And yes, I have received some submissions already. Not this week, sadly.

Weekly Prompts

5 years ago

This week we have a new prompt!

There was a quiet creaking noise upstairs. The first one was shortly followed by another as if someone was slowly creeping around upstairs. Was someone else in the house?

"Nobody else should be here" Janette stated, "I was just upstairs."

Once your submission is complete, submit it here! Just remember you can't submit a story until tomorrow.