Non-threaded

Forums » Feature Wishing Well » Read Thread

Suggestions for improvements and additions to the site.
This feature was rejected 12/12/2016: http://chooseyourstory.com/forums/feature-wishing-well/message/7871

Inventory Border

8 years ago

As some might know, the black border around the inventory has a white background that, while only noticeable when the page's background color is changed, is... bothersome to say the least. The problem can be "mended" with some scripting, but it's rather convoluted, and so I think an official fix is in order. Fixing it's only a matter of replacing the nine images used for the border with versions that have transparent backgrounds.

Inventory Border

8 years ago
That would be very nice.

Inventory Border

8 years ago
Technically speaking, this isn't broken to begin with, lol.

I mean, just because you can change the background doesn't mean Alex endorses it, nor is he under any obligation to facilitate it.

Inventory Border

8 years ago

Well, yeah. I know it's not really a "bug", because there's no issue under normal conditions, but I figured there's no harm in asking, especially since it shouldn't be too difficult to remedy.

Inventory Border

8 years ago
Considering that the background can be almost any color and no matter what color the predefined images are there is always the chance that the border would become invisible... How many different versions of the images are we talking about?

Inventory Border

8 years ago
There is one. If the current version is simply change to transparent, it will work with any background... oh wait... except for the default background... oh...

Inventory Border

8 years ago

@Sethaniel - This might have a better home in the "Feature Wishing Well" I think.

That aside, I doubt anyone is going to rectify this. It's just not an issue for anyone who doesn't care about backgrounds and the majority of the site simply doesn't. Besides, maybe some people like it. I can't fathom why they would, but I can only say that it's my preference for it not to be there, and going off of probability, I'd assume someone does prefer to have it. 

Inventory Border

8 years ago

Right. This wouldn't benefit too many people; I probably wouldn't have made a thread about this if I didn't think it was an easy fix. I do believe, though, that many would prefer it not to have the white border, and I certainly don't believe it was intended to be that way, because under the assumption that nobody would change the background, it'd never be noticeable.

Inventory Border

8 years ago

Yeah. I'm for the idea personally, I'd rather it just be gone. 

Inventory Border

8 years ago

As it happens, I still have transparency-enabled versions of the GIFs that may be of use should anything come of this: https://dl.dropbox.com/s/328m15k0gq8jqu9/i_border.zip

Inventory Border

8 years ago

It's here if Alex stops by and feels like fiddling with it.

Inventory Border

8 years ago

Thanks, Seth.

Inventory Border

8 years ago

Might be able to mess with it with the style tag. It's probably a div or table. 

Inventory Border

8 years ago

It's a table. One of the images is defined with CSS; the other eight are use img tags.

Inventory Border

8 years ago

Try something like this:

table,tr,td {

background: url("url");

}

Inventory Border

8 years ago

What I'm hoping is that alexp will replace the actual image files on the server.

Inventory Border

8 years ago

The thing is that he created the website years ago where it was a pain in the ass just to get a table up and running. I mean, he's using aspx extensions, and I don't even know how ancient those extensions are, but probably really really old. Sifting through the old codes to change the transparencies of the background will take a while - if he has time. 

Inventory Border

8 years ago

Obviously I wouldn't claim to know much about the inner workings of this site. I am, however, all but certain that he won't need to make any changes to the code itself. All he needs to do is replace nine GIFs with versions that have transparency (the correct versions for which I've even provided a download link).

Inventory Border

8 years ago
Whew. I know this is old, but I wanted to post my update. I tried to fiddle with this using css. It's pretty darn ugly because some of the non-transparent images are plain image tags, but some are backgrounds of table cells! I almost had it with

table tbody tr td img { visibility: hidden; }
table tbody tr td .smallerText img { visibility: visible !important; }

Except while that gets rid of the non-transparent background images, it leaves the vertical lines on the sides. I was going to go with that, but when you select the item and normally get the larger view of the image, the larger view is invisible! So I tried to make that one visible with

table tbody tr td table tbody tr td img { visibility: visible !important; }

That made the big item visible, but then the darn horizontal line with the non-transparent background shows back up! Argh! And dang it, the horizontal lines are at the same level as the larger picture, and they are both simply img tags inside the table cell. So close, but not quite.

Inventory Border

8 years ago

The following works, though it uses CSS 3 for substring matching.

td[style*=i_m]{background-image:none!important;} td img[src*=i_]{visibility:hidden;}

Inventory Border

8 years ago
Really? Neat, I'll try that, thanks!