Non-threaded

Forums » Feature Wishing Well » Read Thread

Suggestions for improvements and additions to the site.
This feature was rejected 8/19/2019: not worth the effort.

[SITE] Copy Story

8 years ago

A 'Copy Story' button would be helpful. I kind of want to convert my story to advanced but I like the simple editor as well. Well, a Copy Story button would solve that problem. It should be utilized by the original creator only and not a co-author to not allow copying work and whatnot.

Just an idea.

[SITE] Copy Story

7 years ago

One thing I would definitely use this feature for is making back-up copies of a storygame before I have a proof-reader proof-read it; that way, if the proof-reader accidently or intentionally deletes parts of or the entire storygame, then I haven't actually lost anything and I can simply make another back-up copy of the back-up copy and give the proof-reader another chance or find another proof-reader.

This also applies to co-authors; periodically copy a storygame when you have a co-author on your storygame, and if that co-author accidently or intentionally deletes parts of or the entire storygame, then you haven't lost much and you can continue working on the storygame with the co-author or you can salvage your own work. Of course, this can be done with copying each individual page into a new storygame, but this is tedious, and replicating the potential variables, scripting, and items is even more tedious.

[SITE] Copy Story

7 years ago
While I don't think there is much point to copying a story, I think a backup function may actually be a pretty good idea.

[SITE] Copy Story

7 years ago
Having a backup is the main thing, but I could see a good argument for duplicates being useful if someone got into the habit of making RPG style games. All the scripting involved with a custom name, combat, skills, stats, a money or magic system etc. could be set up once and then copied over to remove the tedium of setting up the same basic system in future projects.

[SITE] Copy Story

7 years ago

Setting up a custom name usually takes me an hour or two, especially since I do it on mobile.

[SITE] Copy Story

7 years ago
This has been suggested and rejected many times. The idea of a backup is good though but this would promote troll stories. I thing we need a Copy Page function before a Copy story function.

[SITE] Copy Story

7 years ago

Really? Is it really that much harder to highlight everything and copypaste it?

[SITE] Copy Story

7 years ago

But that's tedious. Not mention that you have to replicate the links, as well as potential variables, items, or scripting.

[SITE] Copy Story

7 years ago

I suppose. But unless the story is very long, a 7 or an 8, you could have the replica finished in under an hour.

EDIT: Just thought of this; Having the ability to copy a story could result in multiple stories existing with the same name. I don't know much about the inner workings of the site, but I think that could screw the system up pretty badly.

[SITE] Copy Story

7 years ago

The copy of the storygame could generate a number that signifies the amount of storygames under that title that exist.

Ex:

Storygame Title ==> Copy ==> Storygame Title (2) ==> Copy ==> Storygame Title (3)

[SITE] Copy Story

7 years ago
Clicking 'Copy Page' on every page would become pretty tedious as well. Someone who knows more feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I doubt coding something to copy all the pages in a story at once is functionally all that different than doing it one at a time.

[SITE] Copy Story

7 years ago

Unless I'm misunderstanding, a button that copies individual pages seems pointless compared to a button that copies the entire storygame in one go. Not everybody has the sufficient coding knowledge in order to achieve that.

[SITE] Copy Story

7 years ago
Would I use such a feature? Yes, all the time! Why? Because I like to setup that "book cover" page for my stories and customize the feel of the stories. That takes me a bunch of time to remember all the parts I have to copy (2 or 3 pages and 2 or 3 scripts, plus adjustments for images, text, etc.).

That said, do I think anyone else would really find this useful? Not so much. I think this fits into the nice category of: "This is really neat, but would be used so little practically that it is so low priority that it will never really get done."

[SITE] Copy Story

7 years ago

I think it'll be used more than you think.

[SITE] Copy Story / Shadowcopy

6 years ago

I'd like to re-visit this idea (for whenever 3J re-emerges from the Canadian tundra) for another reason. I've noticed that after the latest contest a number of authors took down their games to put them in for reworks. At the same time, there are other interesting games (MyVacation) that are down for reworks. Unfortunately, I assume the authors lost interest/the work spiraled out of control somewhere along the way, and as readers we're left with the unsatisfactory situation where neither is the old version available to play, nor is the new one out of limbo.

An option for authors to shadowcopy their work would be appreciated. This would create an author-only version of a live storygame where they can make their edits. Once they're content with the edits, they can replace the live version of the storygame with the reworked shadowcopy. This should allow authors to rework storygames to their contentment, without denying new readers the chance to experience the games as they were, warts and all. As things are right now, the Live (published) version of the game is not accessible to the author.

6 years ago
Now you're suggesting something that will take a substantial amount of work -- a way to merge a previous copy of a storygame with an older version? I can see the usefulness of it, but I can't see any way to do that programmatically without substantial work.

Or perhaps you are suggesting this sequence of events?
1. I create my story, aptly named "Story #1."
2. I publish Story #1.
3. I make a shadow copy of Story #1. That will be named "Story #1, copy 1."
4. I make changes to my story, the copy version.
5. I can delete Story #1, rename Story #1, copy 1 to Story #1, then publish Story #1 (and somehow it retains comments and ratings from the original Story #1?
6. ???
7. Profit.

I'm not sure that Step #5 is too possible with the way the stories and the database are currently setup.

6 years ago

Close, but you're missing the finer details

Create and publish story 1, which gets ratings and comments you don't want to lose
    Figure out story 1 was proofread while half asleep and has more grammatical and/or logical mistakes than you're comfortable with.
    Decide you want to renovate the story, so you take it down OR start a new one (Like Price of Freedom: Innocence Lost relative to Price of Freedom)
    Here things can go two ways:
    A) (Status Quo) End up realizing the revisions you made are more intensive than you realized and you just can it, leaving the game in a state of being unpublished and yet at the same time being unpublishable (due to the incomplete revisions) - Lose/Lose
    B) You upload the new game and unpublish the old one, losing the aforementioned comments and ratings. Lose for Author/Win for Readers.

Here the goal is to let the author keep a version of the story published, so people can keep playing it while it's under surgery, and then when they publish the offline build they've been working it, it deletes the Live version and replaces all its files (a clean install instead of an update/merge, if you get that). This lets things go from Lose/Lose to Neutral/Win (the author doesn't lose, and the audience wins by still being able to experience the storygame). Should the author not be happy with their revisions, they can delete the shadowcopy and make a fresh one from the live version. This is pretty much just build management from software design.

6 years ago
Yeah, it's that update/merge part that I don't think is going to be anywhere near simple. I don't know all the details of the software behind this site. From what I've seen and what I've guessed, it's pretty much just a custom front-end on a database. That means all the things we type in these boxes and the boxes for writing a story are just fields in a database. So if you want to merge, that's next to impossible. There would have to be some way for the site to check every box for your story, decide if there were changes, decide which changes to keep and which to throw out, but more importantly, figure out all new paths to decide what new boxes have been added. Sure, if we were using github, it would be simple. But I'm pretty sure that's beyond complex and would take absolutely massive amounts of programming to complete.