Non-threaded

Forums » Feature Wishing Well » Read Thread

Suggestions for improvements and additions to the site.
This feature was rejected 2/7/2017: This is too complicated for what we'll get out of it.

[Comments] Return to sender

7 years ago

This is related to the issue of short comments on stories (e.g. Done/Cool/Wow/Yay/Etc)

A person submitting a comment has a reason to do so in most cases. He's a willing critic who's either too lazy/new/other to write a good reflection. My perspective is that the set of people in the world playing a game on CYS is a fairly low number (say 100,000 people a month for the sake of the discussion). Of that 100k, maybe 200 (100k readers divided by 1k games at rate of 2 games per month) would play a random game in a given month. Not counting community veterans who make it a habit to leave meaningful comments on stories, only 10 or so of the 200 readers would leave comments. That's a total of 10 people in the entire world who have both read the story, and were interested enough to share their perspective. Not returning to sender and getting their feedback feels like a missed opportunity, due to the numbers mentioned earlier.

Returning to Sender:

A mod sees a comment that isn't too helpful

>Mod uses Return to Sender instead of remove comment (comments from non-registered members are deleted as the norm)

>The comment's author is notified that their comment has been returned, and that they are requested to amend their work. Returning gives the writer a second chance to express themselves, and the game creator/new readers to get meaningful insights. Functionally, an RTSed comment is removed from circulation, so it's also an implicit delete of the old comment.

>Comment author submits new, updated comment which is likely to be more helpful than whatever was there in the first place, otherwise it'll be deleted, at no penalty to the commentator (some may just not be able to communicate well) 

If we had thousands of people and comments a day, just deleting comments would be the norm. Till that time, I propose Return To Sender.

Additional: Do we want to put a conditional restriction that comments should be atleast 50 characters or something of that sort?

Impact Factor: 6.5/10

7 years ago
I'm not sure if I'd really consider short comments an issue to begin with, as long as they're on topic. The reader's not under any obligation to comment at all tbh. 'I enjoyed this' is perfectly valid, and a lot of times we get stories where 50 words is more effort then it deserves.

'Return to sender' wouldn't really work on people without accounts anyhow. (Though it's been argued before that maybe these people shouldn't even be allowed to rate or comment.)

7 years ago

The train of thought is that short statements bury better comments, hence this idea on how to improve the quality of these comments.

For comments from people without accounts, it'd be business as usual, their posts would have a high chance of being cleaned out if they don't add unique value.

Also, 50 characters, not words (twitter is upto 140, so 50 should be enough to convey basic ideas) 

Another method: add tags during the feedback screen (like Uber rides do) such as "great plot" / "thrilling" / "great characters" and we could aggregate those for a story (also kind of like LinkedIn does skill endorsements). That'd be another way to avoid short comments

7 years ago
What is your impact factor supposed to represent?

7 years ago

My distilled opinion regarding how important/useful the change would be on the site in the next six months, based on my mental model of how things work. Higher is better.

I've been offering a number of suggestions, this is my way to express my opinion on which would be more useful amongst them. This one has limited short term utility but should be great for the long run, ergo the middling score for a six month horizon.