Non-threaded

Forums » Feature Wishing Well » Read Thread

Suggestions for improvements and additions to the site.
This feature was rejected 8/15/2023: see BZ's reply. other issues would cause complicated problems on the backend.

Auto-save

3 years ago

Maybe an auto-save option? 

Auto-save

3 years ago
Explain further.

Auto-save

3 years ago

With the auto-save option, it'll be able to save the stuff you write.

For example, if I type a paragraph and forgot to save, then all of the progress will be lost and I will have to restart all over again. With the auto-save option, it'll automatically save for you, and you won't have to worry about not saving your progress.

However, if someone thinks that the auto-save option is stupid, then they can go to their profile and turn off the auto-save. 

Auto-save

3 years ago

That would be cool

Ive lost and had to rewrite so much when using the editor. Whenever I do type on it I obsessively save.

Use scrivener now like a chad, so not really an issue. But yeah if you're doing a smaller project in the editor autosave would be dope.

Auto-save

3 years ago

Most people here recommend writing offline and then copy/pasting into the editor. Nearly all word processors/writing software already have this option built in. Browsers weren't really designed for writing, image/video/sound editing, etc, even if they are being used as such. So...not trying to start an argument, but the best option is still to use an application that is designed specifically for the task you need.

Auto-save

3 years ago

The problem is that I can't bring my laptop to many places, except if I'm going on vacation and I need it for Zoom.

Auto-save

3 years ago

They probably don't teach this in school, but I keep a pocket notepad in my shirt pocket at all times. Mostly for work reasons, but it's great for jotting things down when I'm not near a computer and feel inspiration strike. Also, it's never crashed or caused me to lose data.

If you're using a phone to write with instead of a keyboard, then I can only pity your poor thumbs.

Auto-save

3 years ago

If you're using a phone to write with instead of a keyboard, then I can only pity your poor thumbs.

Ha! I can't have a phone yet! >:3

Auto-save

3 years ago
I'm pretty sure this going on constantly any time a story page is open for anyone would burn data and be a burden on the server. There are lots of offline writing programs out there though, you probably already have one on your computer.

Auto-save

3 years ago

Informing the user they'll lose changes if they leave the page with unsaved changes seems pretty doable and reasonable.

Auto-save

3 years ago

True! Either an auto-save or notification would be nice. 

Auto-save

3 years ago
An auto-save could cause problems if you have multiple instances of the same page open. For example you forgot you opened a page twice, worked in one but not the other, but it saves the one you are working on first, then overwrites it with the empty one.

Auto-save

one year ago

The majority of folks here advise writing offline before copying and pasting into the editor. Almost all word processors and writing programmes already include this feature. Even while they are used for writing, altering images, videos, and sounds, browsers weren't particularly made for these things.

Auto-save

one year ago

How much do you get paid per hour? Considering you were able to understand the posts, and form a semi-coherent response means you have a brain cell, or two. Please find a better job.