Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

The Fall of The Elder Scroll...?

10 years ago
Just finished skyrim and...was disappointed. Not because Skyrim is a bad game, because the future of the series is uncertain. At least for me. Skyrim was a breeze...way too easy...and deep inside I felt that it was made for the casual gamers. Like it wasn't made for its long time fans, the hardcord gamers, a minority. Like it was made for kids. 13 years old screaming kids. I don't know but...since Skyrim sold so well, more than all the previous elder scrolls combined, I can see where TES VI would go. Sigh.

10 years ago
Question... ots poasible to finish Skyrim? I have 2 level 80's at well over 350 hours piece in.... Im maybe 33% through the game qith ALL faction story lines completed...

10 years ago

I've always imagined that the main quest line with plenty of side quests and a guild-quest line would result in your guy being to old to fight anymore.   It's more fun to start your game our on a hard difficulty and lower it as you go along before suddenly raising the difficulty to deal with your age. 

Soon the difficulty will be maxed out and you just happen to run into a dragon. RPing in the game helps me get a sense of "end" after playing for a while.

As for future TES games? It's a 50/50 with TES-Online but I suspect they will make at least one more game if not more.

10 years ago

I liked it...i played oblivion as well and that was just as good. I think your being silly but then again im a 14 year old boy :P I dont like the way thats the DLC have moved into other countries and im dubious about the online. i liked it more when it was one country like skyrim or tamriel.

10 years ago

Tamriel is the planet. Skyrim, Cyrodiil, Elseweyr and all those are on Tamriel.

10 years ago

Actually Nirn is the planet, Tamriel is the continent.

10 years ago

Good logic. You know your Elder Scrolls.

10 years ago

Too easy? Sir, you appear to have misplaced your combat difficulty in the options. If you were looking for difficulty elsewhere, well, let's face it... TES was never really one for intense, rage-inducing puzzles and complex platforming, was it? I mean, the most it gets is button pushing and pitfalling, then the occassional creative use of the whirlwind sprint, or other shout. The game doesn't have a distinct way to show how far you need to get in order to have something, though it knows what you did and your playstyle, it won't be like Zelda where you need a certain thing in order to do a puzzle, unless it's a quest. Besides, you were swept up by the features and graphics, it's just as good, if not better than the previous installments, but there's a whole lot of shit you can do on the side. Also, you may have spent too much time freeplaying and reached level 20 before you were supposed to, really.

10 years ago

I thought the idea was good but overall the game was easy even with all side quests it was extremely easy double handed daggers and heavy armor. My brother sold my copy as oblivion the dick and what little I played it was much more challenging especially the level up and equipment.

10 years ago

Yes, but as soon as you get a high enough level, you're running around killing random encounter bandits for their Daedric armor, and mercy killing guards by the hundreds, and selling shitloads of your stuff to add to your quintuple-digit  gold pieces. in Skyrim, it's different, you get it easy as a cheeve-filled average arcade game on Xbox, but the general upward curve of leveling up, it does get more and more difficult, and can, with the proper scenario and meter adjustment, share the ball-busting difficulty of Kingsfield. I agree, combat isn't as gimmicky as Oblivion, but it can get repetitive, the constant backing away with your ranged attacks, or the unrelenting, repetitive shield-swing-shield-swing pattern in your melee attacks. The added fatalities and dual wielding add the unique ability to be a true berserker, and the realistic camera-moving swings loosen up the bland grind that was the original Oblivion combat.

10 years ago

If you think combat was boring, you CLEARLY didn't install any magic mods and go through skyrim as a Mage. Funniest shit ever (the original magic was too bland for my taste)

Skyrim with mods pretty much outdid any other game I've ever played, combat was very enjoyable.

10 years ago

Skyrim and morrowind are 2 of the greatest games of all time, I mean do you really have to question why they've been uncontested game of the year winners for over a decade?

10 years ago

The vanilla combat, as a whole, was a bunch of easily developed patterns, but yes the mods were quite good, and improved the combat, but it left warriors in a shithole full of their own regretful misery...

As far as Skyrim mods go, all it needed was a zombcalypse-mod-compatible multiplayer mod, and they would make multiple bajillion septims irl...

But if game-of-the-years were awarded sheerly for gameplay and humor, even if not accompanied by proper balance and structure, I'd have to say SRIV would be 2013's new winner.

10 years ago

There were shitloads of warrior mods, what are you talking about? Now, if you;re complaining that the warriors weren't as fun to play, that might be because magic rules, and is infinitely more awesome than anything else ever...

10 years ago

Was there ever a "survival mod?" Like where you had to sleep, eat and drink regularly and doing stuff like swimming in a freezing bodies of water or being in the coldest snowy peaks would increase some sort of hypothermia level?

Basically something like Fallout New Vegas except instead of a radiation danger scale you had a freezing danger scale instead.

10 years ago

Yes actually, I'm pretty sure I saw several of those on nexus

10 years ago

Stuff like:

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/11163/?

10 years ago

Yeah, I just found these: Hardcore mod

Unfortunately I don't have a gaming PC nowadays so I'm basically console or iPad bound when it comes to games. I'd definitely be installing these things though if I had Skyrim for the PC.

10 years ago

You don't need a gaming PC, bro. (unless your PC is already slow.) I have an average, run-of-the-mill PC, and I have

Warframe,

The Sims 3,

The Sims Medieval,

Most of the remotely good MDickie games,

Minecraft,

Skyrim,

Oblivion,

Sumotori,

Toribash,

The Great Big War Game,

Some old corny kids' rpgs like W101 that my little cousin insists I play with him,

Project 64, on which I have Mario, and both of the N64 Zelda games,

TF2,

Starmade,

Facade,

The Chzo Mythos,

The Trials of Odysseus Kent,

Some other odds and ends.

Along with this, I have several other programs characteristic of your standard office PC for my homework, and various programs that are the tools of my picture-pasting forum-lurking trade. All of these games I have run with reasonable graphic settings, (as in, not having to turn everything down to 0, and my framerate usually can afford some additional improvements if something looks like crap) at very nice speeds. And I'm using a 3 year old Toshiba laptop.

10 years ago

You most certainly need a gaming PC for something like Skyrim...

10 years ago

No you don't, I can play it on my mac.

10 years ago

Yeah, cuz it's definitely not a re-hashed gamebryo of Oblivion. There's no way that everything in it is actually specially shined flat textures, right? Absolutely no way... My point was that you don't need a gaming pc to play decent games decently.

10 years ago

All I currently got is a Mac laptop which I imagine would overheat severely if I actually played something like Skyrim on it. I'd rather not risk damaging it seeing as its the only major computer I have right now (Not counting the iPad)

A long time ago I used to have a "gaming" windows laptop, but it got to the point where I had to run a real fan (not just one of those computer fans) under it to play anything on it due to overheating and shutting down. Then it ceased being a laptop period and basically became a little desktop with a fan permanently under it since I couldn't even run it at all without it shutting down. (Had to be constantly plugged in as well)

Didn't know Skyrim came out for the Mac anyway, in fact I thought pretty much no major games came out for the Mac nowadays save for the Sims stuff. I was surprised to even find Civ 5 for it.

10 years ago

It gets pretty hot at times, and loud, but it doesn't damage anything. 

Most mods are incompatible with the mac though, and needlessly complicated to install, so that would probably screw things up.

10 years ago

A gaming PC shouldn't heat up like that unless your shit is being seriously fucked with, or if you have tons and tons of code running at once, I.E. too many programs, tryng to force more memory into it than it can handle.

10 years ago

my computer fan broke, will that do it?

10 years ago

Interesting that you're using an old Toshiba laptop since that was the brand I was using to do most of my PC gaming on back in the early to mid 2000s. Really I don't think that the laptop was really made for proper gaming hence why I put gaming in quotation marks.

Hell I didn't even have a personal internet connection until 2003 (Just didn't really need it until the last year of grad school) and I was using DIAL UP on that thing as well.

Then my wife dragged me into the next century.

10 years ago

Should of used Icepacks, that is what I do with mine =P

10 years ago
Mine is liquid cooled and on skyrim im still hittin 86° celcius when the graphicsare maxed out. Lol soooo yeah you have to have gaming pc..... of course im running everything over clockedd..

10 years ago

Actually Endmaster, I was have a MacBook and I installed and have played Skyrim on it, it lags during crowded places like Solitude (especially during the execution) but it is playable 

10 years ago
Who is not buying GTA V?

10 years ago

I might wait and see.

It certainly looks good, but I know they'll probably come out with other episodes like they did for 4, so I might wait until a game of the year edition comes out for it.

10 years ago

Ive got it paid off.

10 years ago

Maybe. I'm more interested in Ryse Son of Rome.

10 years ago

It's Ironic, how Saints Row started out as a GTA ripoff, but the later installments make it look and feel like total ass, but I guess that really depends on the person playing it.

10 years ago

SRIII was one of the funnest games ive played in decades, it's sheer over the top presentation won me over. It was Hilarious :) (somewhat boring *even more so than GTA IV* ) But the entertainment factor was great.

10 years ago

How could you possibly be bored? Boy, back in my (ten years ago when I was about 4 or 5) day, I had to fucking play GUBBLE, and that gay-ass Aquaman game for gamecube, (Underwater He-man Superman 64...) and the only really good games I had were mario party 4 and most of the Zelda games, and some of the crappier Spyro games. And I fucking LIKED IT.

Although GTA IV can lose its challenge after a while, the sheer silliness of it all made me really like it anyway.

10 years ago

if skyrim was to easy for you then maybe you should try diablo 2 on hardcore or possibly D&D with a dm who doesn't pull any punches

10 years ago

I loved super mario sunshine, best game ever.

10 years ago

Boy, I didn't have super mario sushine until I was 6 or 7! I did have Goldeneye, which was pretty damn good though.

10 years ago

Really, most RPGs nowadays are easy compared to just about anything that came out in the 80s to mid 90s.

Back in the old days you had to take quest notes and draw the dungeon maps yourself. Better break out the graph paper and a notepad.

You had no quest compass, you usually just stumbled around in the wilderness trying to figure out what you were supposed to be doing, getting attacked by wandering monsters every five seconds while your food bar got lower and if that went to zero, you died, no matter how many hit points you had.

You could lose vital objects that were necessary for your quest. Important items didn't permanently stay in your inventory so you couldn't drop them because you wanted to carry a 15th set of Mithril armor (just in case) If you dropped and lost them, they were GONE for good and you were screwed.

Same thing for vital NPCs. Killed that arch mage that you need just to see if you could? Better reload, because he's not going to get back up from "unconsciousness" and "forgive" you if you leave town for awhile. He's DEAD. (And the town is permanently hostile)

Get to the final bad guy and can't beat him, because you built your character in an inefficient way? Too bad, there's no "respec" option so you can put all your stat points into better skills.

Your health didn't regenerate either. You either got yourself some potions, bandages, or found some place to rest. Sometimes you couldn't even save in certain locations or better yet sometimes you were put in an impossible position because you got caught unprepared and you couldn't even go back to a good save, because the game decided to overwrite it by autosaving before the battle.

And of course there were a few RPGs that did real hardcore mode and saving was only available when you were ready to stop playing for awhile. So basically if you were playing and you died, that was it, start ALL over.

Ah yes, the good old days!

10 years ago

Not being able to save is a horrible thing, I cannot imagine anything that would ruin a game faster than having to restart it form the beggining every time you died...

10 years ago

Feh, roguelikes these days aren't harsh enough either. Have you seen Rogue legacy? It's basically respawning wth virtually the same character (and some minor tweaks) over and over again, with the same armor, weapons, and bitterly uninspired monsters. At least watching all the monsters you klled stack up on your death page is satisfying...

10 years ago

One game I had was sort of insidious about the save thing. It was called Autoduel, sort of a post apocalyptic road warrior type RPG. Had sandbox elements as well since you didn't have to follow the main storyline and could just wander blowing up other cars and selling their scrap.

You couldn't save without quitting, but you could buy a clone of yourself which at least meant if you died you didn't have to restart. But you usually didn't have much left since if you got killed in your car (Which was most of the time) your car would obviously be destroyed and you'd have to work at getting enough money to buy (and build up) a new one. You'd also have to buy a new clone and they were pretty expensive to begin with.

The major kicker was when you started the very last mission, all of your clones were destroyed and assassins were sent after you which could kill you instantly if you stopped in certain buildings. Nothing worse than getting to the last mission, dying and then having to start all over again.

You could sort of cheat the system without clones though if you just made another back up disk of your character. Save/quit, then back up your character disk and start your game. So if you died, you could just use the back up disk and it would pick up where you last save/quit. Of course after you did this, you'd have to make another one. Sort of a long tedious process to avoid permadeath, but it was an option.

10 years ago
I asked a kid if he had played Ff6. He said that he once tried but quit because the graphics were crap. Oh god...

10 years ago

*gunshot heard in the distance, suddenly the world got a little brighter.*

I've played a few of those old games but I have this habit of not replaying a game if my character dies if I didn't beat it already. This usually turns into me forgetting my char died so I make a new one and start playing until I prepare to save and notice a save game of my old character. I keep playing anyways. lol

I think the most recent game to have a similar "live or die" system was X-COM:EU if you played it on ironman mode so you couldn't just reload a save after your team died.

10 years ago

Oh god, playing Ultima 4 Quest of the Avatar was like that. I mean, I was using a save state function since I was never near a inn for saving when I wanted to, but I once tried to kill Lord British (for lolz), and that was bad. :P

10 years ago

Okay, after reading all that i can now say why i dont own a computer for the time being. I bought Baldurs gate and started playing  it on hard, after dying countless time i got so mad that i punched my laptop.  End of story.

10 years ago

If you don't own a computer, how are you doing this?

10 years ago

Tablet

10 years ago

Spot on. :)

10 years ago

I typically find that anyone who thinks it's way too easy simply has their difficulty set on normal or casual