Non-threaded

Forums » Reading Corner » Read Thread

Dust off a seat and discuss a good book here...you do read, right?

Fav series/book

10 years ago
Post your favorite book/series and try to intrigue me.

Fav series/book

10 years ago

The Dune series has all the intrigue anyone should need.

Fav series/book

10 years ago

Dune is an epic series of books.  Seriously.  If you're reading these words and haven't read Dune, stop, slap yourself, and jump on your iPad/Kindle/Nook or read without decent formatting for free at http://readanybooks.net/ScienceFiction/Dune/

The first book changed the way I think.  The rest of the series are excellent as well and make your brain twist around more than The Matrix did back when it came out (kids, you probably won't understand, so insert whatever pop culture reference makes you think of not knowing if the universe is real after you read/watched/listened to it).

Fav series/book

10 years ago

Okay Miss Sky, I just slapped myself and now the whole right side of my face is numb. WHAT WAS THE POINT OF THAT?!?! :P

Fav series/book

10 years ago

Lois McMaster Bujold's Vorkosigan series. Over a dozen books, ranging from good to great, each of which stands on its own rather than being part of some huge neverending arc... although they are best read in order, give or take. I recommend starting with The Warrior's Apprentice, and then circling back to Shards of Honor and Barrayar at some point. Contrary to what you might expect from the titles, they're science fiction.

The Name of the Wind, by Patrick Rothfuss. Warning: this is the first in a yet-incomplete fantasy trilogy. And it's really, really good.

Fav series/book

10 years ago

Favorite series to this day is Ranger's Apprentice. I loved it.

Fav series/book

10 years ago

I agree with that.

Fav series/book

10 years ago

Two fantastic series by Jim Butcher: 1. The Furies of Calderon 2. The Dresden Files

Two fantastic series by Brent Weeks: 1. The Nightangel Trilogy (very dark) 2. The Prism

I have also started a series recently by Steven Erikson called the Malazan Book of the Fallen. So far I love it.

I love any works by Simon R. Greene as well for both science fiction and fantasy.

Fav series/book

10 years ago

Seconding the recommendation for Dresden Files. Fun stuff. :)

Fav series/book

10 years ago

I LOVED the night angel trilogy. Nice to meet a fellow Brent weeks fan :)

I haven't really looked into the prism (though I downloaded the first book a while ago, I just couldn't really get into it like I did with the trilogy)

Same for the Malazan book of the fallen, haha!

I never started reading past the first book, I got too busy, but I still have the next four at home. (I'll get to it one day.)

Fav series/book

10 years ago

Yeah, the Prism series is quite honestly VERY different from the Night Angel trilogy. And the Malazan book is a bit hard to get into at first (in my opinion) but it is COMPLETELY worth it. It has a lot more of the darker tones and complexity that you find in the Night Angel :) I highly recommend it as a similar interest. Glad someone else has heard of Mr. Weeks though haha!

Fav series/book

10 years ago

Oh, I might have worded that incorrectly, I'm actually very into the malazan book of the fallen, I just don't have the time for it, haha.

Fav series/book

10 years ago

Ah, okay! Yes, they are very long books and there are quite a few of them. I don't have the time to finish the series either at the moment, sadly. Work and school and basic living in the real world.

Fav series/book

10 years ago

Two words: Skulduggery pleasant.

P.S. Alex rider.

There's your intrigue pal.

Fav series/book

10 years ago
Read Alex rider thought it was good

Fav series/book

10 years ago

It's great. The prologue to the series is coming out soon.

Fav series/book

10 years ago

Ender saga, was awesome.

Fav series/book

10 years ago

When I was a kid it was hands down the Chronicles of Prydain, with Narnia and The Dark is Rising tied as a close second. I [i]really[/i] need to get the boxed sets for nostalgia purposes... Oh right, and anything by Katherine Paterson is pure gold I still love just as much today. Bridge to Terabithia, Of Nightingale's That Weep...really can't recommend any of those enough no matter what age you are. Same goes for Cynthia Voigt and her Tillerman Chronicles. Jane Yolen was pretty great as well, loved the Dragon's Blood series. And of course there's Scott O'Dell and Gary Paulsen...and about a billion more, I'll stop now. I have a serious warm fuzzy place in my heart for so much of the stuff I read as a kid though, it all just got inside my head and had a much bigger impact on my life than most of the stuff I read now.:D 

I also read like a billion Nancy Drew books but those didn't age well at [i]all[/i]. Read a lot of Anne McCaffrey's stuff in junior high and I still kind of like the idea of Pern but I just can't stomach anything by her as an adult, she's a terrible writer. :(

As an adult there's Lord of the Rings, obviously, and the Ender saga is pretty amazing as well. Favorite standalone book is  a tie between Watership Down and To Kill a Mockingbird. Though the Blue Sword and the Hero and the Crown by Robin McKinley were my favorites in highschool.  

As far as actual halfway modern stuff goes, the Species Imperative stuff by Julie Czerneda is hella fun.

edit: Couple of good classics are A Tree Grows In Brooklyn and The Good Earth. Poisonwood Bible as well.

...read a lot of Anne McCaffrey's stuff in junior high and I still kind of like the idea of Pern but I just can't stomach anything by her as an adult, she's a terrible writer. :(

Fav series/book

10 years ago

Maximum ride, a book about genetically altered teenagers, trying to save the world from ITEX, an organization that is planning to  kill 98% of the population, to create a survival of the fittest world.