Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

What do you want see in storygames?

10 years ago

I'm working on a few storygames which you can see on my profile. Now I'm a fan of fantasy and right now the storygame I'm giving most of my attention to  is War of Beast and Men. It has the basics: the hero (you), your choice of gender, race, princesses, evil wizards, etc. But I would like to know what people would like to see or any other choices you would like to have. So feel free to share.

10 years ago

One thing I would like to see in storygames and in fact the media in general, my number one factor would be more realism.

A storygame can be gripping and intense, even stirring up the adrenaline for some, but for me, if I see some nonsense about part-drawing bows or the mythical "blood groove" of a sword, it looks downright moronic and childish. I'm not after perfection down to the buttons on your coat, just reasonable believability.

I also tend to hate those stories where the human is somehow inferior, "No, go choose the Elves, or the Klingons, or the Gorillae, or anything that is not human!". If there is a choice of races, don't make us into squishy cannon fodder.

On a positive note, a descriptive yet short and snappy storygame with good spelling and grammar is alwasy joyful to read and play.

10 years ago

I'm surprised nobody's tried lampshading humanity's inferiority when there's so many human heroes around. I've never onces seen an elf supremacist convention where someone says anything along the lines of "Humans are useless pieces of expendable shit! Except for the numerous times that they save the world and resist death and all that, but for the most part, screw them!"

10 years ago

Protagonist will now be an elf.

10 years ago

How racist do you want to make elf society?

10 years ago

Usually dark elves get portrayed as major racists. "Normal" elves usually just get portrayed as isolationists at worst.

10 years ago

What about high-elves? (Altmer Nazi anybody?) 

10 years ago

Yeah the Altmer are a good example of really racist non-dark elves, though it's not all of them, just the ones part of the Thalmor Dominion (or whatever their government was)

10 years ago

Well... my story is kinda going in that direction, with hate on the both sides - and most of people being racist and stuff. I guess I'm influenced by Witcher world.

10 years ago

I shall take your advice PcGenie, and if you haven't heard of a game series called "Dragon Age" then I suggest you look into it. You won't find more realism then this one. Humans are the superior race, Elves are second class citizens, the Dwarves are near extinction, and people fear magic users for good reason. They even have their own version of Christianity. If you've never played the game I promise you will not regret it.

10 years ago

Just don't make me rescue yet another princess. I am so sick of the damsel-in-distress trope. I know it's convenient. I know it's easier than figuring out something more original. But I'm sick of it.

10 years ago

Yeah, make the woman-warrior rescue a prince instead!

I kid, I kid XD

10 years ago

*Whistling innocently as I make changes to the script*

10 years ago

-Making a story somewhat based off Endmasters stuff.-

-Based meaning its my inspiration, not copying anything, but if I ever go "I wonder what would be cool" rereading necromancer would help-

10 years ago

What if you just go on s quest, bringing your entourage, to go about doing great awesome shit, and go through hell to kill a gigantic evil dragon lord with ten heads and an army of other big dragons and a demonlord archmage, and then after sifting through the rubble for loot it turns out you've inadvertantly saved several princesses that the demonlord had been using as sex slaves, and you return them to their respective fathers for a shit ton of money that you use to fund your next going-through of hell to kill evil shit?

10 years ago

Depends. Does one of them insist on joining your party? Does one of them have a case of Stockholm syndrome and try to take revenge for the death of the demonlord? In short, are any of them characters in their own right, or are they all just pawns?

10 years ago

Your objective is to kill the princess / prince, and your best friend is the paladin / demon lord who doesn't want you to...?

10 years ago

I may cut it close, but there shall be no damsel's in distress. After all you get to choose whether your a boy or a girl.

10 years ago

As long as the boy-story and girl-story are significantly different from one another the gender/sex won't make a real noticeable effect.

10 years ago

Well, gender will affect a few things n the story but ultimately it will be your race that makes the most difference in the story.

10 years ago

Well, I'm usually more accustomed to a pseudo-realistic world, so I'd thought there'd be major plot changes depending on gender, but for that alone, that would be a hefty load of content to implement into the story...

....and are there going to be racists?

10 years ago

Pretty much the main point of the story, humans vs humanoid animals. And for the protagonist its going to be a real problem for them.

10 years ago

Personally the thing that makes story games most fun for me to play is unique and interesting characters, as well as lots of character interaction. I also hate seeing cliche fantasy characters like the ones listed below:

1. Damsel in Distress: Like the others said, rescuing helpless princesses has been done to death. A regular girl who isn't a fearless warrior is fine, so long as she's intelligent or funny or cunning or... I don't know, just make her good at something other than waving her arms around screaming "Save me Popeye!"

2. Bitchy Warrior Princess: Even more cliche than the damsel in distress is the warrior woman who's a complete bitch for no apparent reason. They're the ones that go on about how they don't need no man to protect them, get attacked by bandits, have to be saved by the main character, and then yell at the main character for saving them and insist that they could've done it themselves.

3. Knights in Shining Armor: The perfect hero who fights for justice and freedom and truth and love and has absolutely no faults whatsoever... Just no.

4. The Orphan Farm Boy: He lived happily on his little farm with his mother and father until the evil overlord attacked his farm, murdered his parents and left the boy alive for no particular reason. He got taken in by a wise old wizard who raised him as his own, and now that the boy's reached his sixteenth birthday, he's old enough to go out and seek revenge! It's been done... A LOT.

5. The Bumbling Dwarf: He drinks, he curses, he burps, he farts, he falls over a lot and he's just in the story for comic relief. Why does nobody make a drunk, bumbling elf? That'd be awesome!

6. The Pointless Elf: He's an elf... And... That's it. He has no personality and never really does or says anything useful or witty or wise, he's just there because your group needs an elf in it.

7. The Evil Villain of Death and Evilness: He wants to destroy the world!!! No reason, he just likes destroying things.

10 years ago

Yeah do these instead…

Warrior Princess in Distress

Bitchy Elf

Villain in Shining Armor

Orphan Knight

Bumbling Damsel

Pointless Farmboy

The Evil Dwarf of Death and Evilness

10 years ago

... I really want to read that story! Especially the bit with the bumbling damsel. BTW Endmaster, you might want to check your co-authored games again.

10 years ago

Yeah, I already saw and dealt with it.

Bumbling damsel would be funny, you save her, but she's constantly tripping and knocking over shit as well as ineptly trying to help you making the whole task a lot harder than it should be during the escape.

10 years ago

I was picturing more like, she's flawlessly beautiful and wears a long, draping pink dress and has her blonde hair all up in braids... And then she drinks all the guys under the table, followed by an impressive belch and has to be thrown out of the bar for yelling abuse at the innkeeper's wife. Also a butch, Scottish accent would be a nice touch. cheeky

10 years ago

I was also thinking that due to not actually being "in distress" you don't actually "save her" as such. She's just some random damsel that latches on to you because she THINKS that you've "saved" her by doing something fairly inconsequential like opening a door for her or something.

Villain in Shining Armor would be doing good deeds in some odd way of furthering a greater evil agenda. Of course maybe he's just really confused and thinks he's serving evil by doing good deeds.

10 years ago

He could catch a thief stealing an old lady's handbag, bring the handbag back to the old lady and then beat her to death with it. ^_^

10 years ago

I WILL SAVE THESE KITTENS FOR EVIL! MUHAHAHAHAHA!

10 years ago

First I'll rescue them from a burning building and then make them my evil minions... It shall be glorious!

10 years ago

Maybe you could make it so the orphan farmboy turns into an evil overlord? :P 

10 years ago

Yey! ^_^

10 years ago

Or my favorite.

The boys adventure with the Tsun tsun girl, who makes him bento. And when he asks why she goes "I-I only made it b-because I had extra food! B-baka"and she blushes and runs away.

10 years ago

Huh? ... I don't speak anime cheeky

10 years ago

Similar to the Bitchy Warrior Princess, the Tsun Tsun girl is another stereotypical female that has mild affections for the protagonist but expresses it in an irritable bitchy manner, similar to a kindergartner pushing their crush off the swing set. Often, the Tsun Tsun character, otherwise known as the Tsundere character will abuse the protagonist for seemingly minor upsets when the real source of Tsundere's agitation stems from her inability to cope with her love struck feelings.

10 years ago

Oooooh THAT girl! Yep, I seen her before cheeky

10 years ago

They also fuck later in the story.