Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

The Purge 2

9 years ago

So speaking of Human Predators and enforced population control, just saw The Purge 2: Anarchy.

It was a lot better than the first one. Lots of killing. It was almost like watching a movie version of GTA Online. A bunch of acts of violence going on throughout a city carried out by various people, and not the lame home invasion theme they went with in the first one. Sort of expanded on some of the concepts and ideas of the Purge as well. (Still a lot of plot holes though)

There was some half assed message about class warfare, rich vs. poor thing going on, but fuck all that, I just wanted to see a bunch of people get killed because that's what its really all about.

Still liked the new Planet of the Apes movie better, but then again it's hard to compete with killer monkeys.

The Purge 2

9 years ago
I really enjoyed The Purge 2; and I agree it was far better than the first. I thought the rich vs. poor aspect was more like sprinkles on a cupcake, the best parts were already there - but it adds a bit of color; not particularly bad or good, it was like a decorative add-on. As for The Dawn of the Evening of the Sequel of the Prequel of the Planet of the Apes...2... the newest one, I thought it was alright. I didn't really like it as much as The Purge 2, probably just because of the lame humor used in it xD it was still a good film none the less.

I liked The Purge 2 better than The Dawn of the Sunrise of the Etc. of the Planet of the Apes. But I tend to have bad taste for most media anyways xD

The Purge 2

9 years ago

I haven't seen Purge 2 or the second Planet of the Apes. When I think about the Purge if it was a real thing, it would be very costly. Now, I don't care about the loss of lives that will occur, that's the point, my issue is the collateral damage. The damage repair costs would be through the roof, and it can't all be fixed before the next Purge. Also, it leaves the country vulnerable to inside and outside attacks.

Maybe I'm just over thinking it. :P

The Purge 2

9 years ago

Not really over thinking it, the whole concept of The Purge tends to raise a lot of question to as how such a thing could even work even if everyone was following the "rules." (Which is why I just mainly see it for the killing)

The collateral damage I presume is kept in check due to there being a rule about no weapons above "class 4" allowed. Meaning you can't just take a rocket launcher or dynamite and start blowing up buildings.

What about fire though? Some people were shown using flamethrowers so obviously fire isn't off limits. Seems like it would be a simple matter of just setting fires to houses or buildings and then either burning everyone inside alive or waiting until they came running out to gun them down (or chop 'em up, if you prefer)

Even if you didn't kill many people, you'd sure as hell cause a shitload of damage with a well thought out arson plan.

The Purge 2

9 years ago

I hadn't considered fires but you make a point. I think it's a bit ludicrous how the government just assumes that the collateral damage won't be so major that it will cause a problem. Besides, you could just steal a car, or have a tank of gasoline (perfectly legal) and blow something up regardless. Really, how is anyone going to stop them from doing this?

The Purge 2

9 years ago

I'm actually surprised there weren't any scenes of energy facility raids, such as dams and nuclear reactors.  Class 4 weapons wouldn't be needed to take over those facilities.

Or any military bases, for that matter.  Just a substantial amount of MacGyvering and teamwork.

The Purge 2

9 years ago

I may have just forgotten, but does the military do anything during the Purge? Do they protect significant places and people, or are they out of service like the police are?

The Purge 2

9 years ago

I'd assume they'd just hunker down and mop up the day after with the well-paid cleaning crews.

The Purge 2

9 years ago

I thought they said "all emergency personnel will be unavailable during the purge" and I consider that to include the military.

The Purge 2

9 years ago

Not that the movie has a lot of depth, and it's not that big of a surprise anyway, but SPOILERS below!

The government actually sends out military death squads during The Purge because the country's leaders don't feel the citizens are doing enough killing.

The Purge 2

9 years ago

You are aware that the purge is an attack against the NRA, right? XD

I'm not saying you aren't, but still, I think it's funny.

The Purge 2

9 years ago

Well yeah, but it's not all that great of an attack really. Never mind the fact that the message is sort of muddled to begin with, but it gets lost mainly because it's trying to focus on the "cool" factor.

It's like a war movie trying to show the horrors of war, but in the process ends up showing how cool war is by having the protagonist mow down an entire army by himself with two machine guns while also saving a bunch of orphans and carrying their hot teacher on his back in the process.

The Purge 2

9 years ago

With the rich vs. poor thing, I personally thought that the god-awful Elysium or the god-given-movie Snowpiercer would present that a bit more nicely.

The Purge 2

9 years ago

Yeah, my spouse's first question was "All crime is legal?  What about check fraud?  Identity theft?  Why are they only focusing on murder?"

It seems like there's no real reason for them to bother with the Purge backstory, it's just an excuse to explain why nobody calls the police.

For me, the really interesting story of the Purge would be what life was like the other 364 days. 

The Purge 2

9 years ago

It is hinted that the rest of the year, no one really trusts each other. Everyone is paranoid because your closest friend's smile could quickly turn into a murderous grin backed by a sawn off shotgun.

The Purge 2

9 years ago

Yeah, I've heard people ask what about all the cyber crime that would be going on and why murder is the big thing that gets the focus. 

From a practical standpoint I imagine it's more exciting for the audience to watch a bunch of psychos in masks terrorizing and killing people as opposed to some guy just sitting around hacking into bank accounts for the duration of the movie.

The Purge 2

9 years ago

Now that I think more on it, it is a major plot hole. When watching the Purge, we are just to assume that every human in America becomes a killer. Even on the radio, when a man was asked what he would do, he outright says that he is sharpening something for his boss.

I guess no one considers stealing when apparently everyone around you is out to kill.

The Purge 2

9 years ago

Check fraud: All the banks will lock themselves down to avoid major losses, anyone batshit crazy enough to try and cash a check when literally everything society has been hoping to avoid is happening would probably have better luck getting a job as a guard and strolling into the vault for the night.

Identity Theft: Anarchists will probably try to stick it to The Man by throwing crowbars into internet servers like nmelssx. Anything you could get from that point would take more than one day, in which case you'd have to wait all year to use the credit card number you stole last year. Sensible people will probably transfer their money to new bank accounts for this very reason.

The Purge 2

9 years ago

It sucked. Hell i'll kill the dude that killed my kid. But it was better than the first.

The Purge 2

9 years ago

So basically, what everyone expected The Purge to be orginally?

And oh my fuck yes. That movie was great. The friend I was with forgot whatever it was she was angry at me about like ten minutes later thanks to how focused she was on th emovie.