Non-threaded

Forums » Newbie Central » Read Thread

Introduce yourself and get to know the community.

What is a 'Freeform RP'?

8 years ago

What exactly is a freeform RP? The new rules state freeform RPs are not allowed. Now what exactly does that mean? From what I gathered it is a story that has a wide range of directions the story can go. And a structured would be a story that really only has one direction it can go in. Is that correct?

What is a 'Freeform RP'?

8 years ago

No.

A structured RP is one with rules. It doesn't have to be a linear story at all.

More to follow.

What is a 'Freeform RP'?

8 years ago

Almost all of the RP on this site is freeform.

Freeform roleplay lacks guidelines or statistics by which to judge the outcome of a characters actions. Character sheets are informal, with relatively few restrictions as to what sort of abilities or skills the character may possess. 

It has absolutely nothing to do with the setting, dialogue, or plot.

What is a 'Freeform RP'?

8 years ago

Oh, ok I understand now. So why is it that the admins are restricting and trying to rid the site of freeform stories? In my opinion, if it is a good story, with a good plot, etc, and is a good read, that should be all that matters. As long as it includes story-changing decision-making, of course.

What is a 'Freeform RP'?

8 years ago

I think you may be misunderstanding a fundamental point:

Storygames are not RP, freeform or otherwise. RP, i.e., roleplaying, is something that happens on the forums.

What is a 'Freeform RP'?

8 years ago

Alright, sorry about the confusion haha. I thought they were referring the storygames as roleplaying, so I was kind of confused as to why they'd rid the all of these great stories on here, that essentially would need to be created in the Advanced format to fit the criteria they wanted on the site. I've spent all day trying to figure out how I can rework the projects I have to fit in with having skills and using dice to create randomized outcomes, while still following the story through choices made. 

So other than keeping away from too much intimate and sexual scenes, the bulk of the message about changing the site is targeted at the forum?

What is a 'Freeform RP'?

8 years ago

Yep, as long as you're not making a storygame about cats.

What is a 'Freeform RP'?

8 years ago

I take it people aren't too fond of cats around here? I almost finished a story called Planet of the Cats, but I guess I could change it to Monkeys or something.

What is a 'Freeform RP'?

8 years ago

Well there was an infection of Warrior Cats fan fictions that plagued our site, so now it's banned. You could ask a mod if your game is ok, but I assume that it will be.

What is a 'Freeform RP'?

8 years ago

Yeah I've noticed a lot of Warrior Cats stories and posts. As far as Planet of the Cats, I was referencing Planet of the Apes. Just a joke though, no intentions of cat stories. Thank you!

What is a 'Freeform RP'?

8 years ago

Once upon a time there was a continuous stream of crappy Warrior Cats fanfics being published to the site.

After so many months of tolerating the crappy stories and their crappy community, the mods finally outright banned Warrior Cats.

But yeah we are not very fond of cats here. Cat stories in generally might give some people bad memories (:P) but those are accepted. Warrior Cats are not.

Warrior Cats is a children's book series, by the way.

What is a 'Freeform RP'?

8 years ago

Oh dear! Glad I could clarify things, eventually. 

But yes. If you're not making Warrior Cats fanfic, or something that would rate an 8/8 on the maturity scale (which, to be clear, was never allowed here) then you're good to go. ^_^

What is a 'Freeform RP'?

8 years ago

I'm actually extremely relieved :) thank you very much! I'm working on one story now involving sword fighting so it will be bloody, and a reference of sex, but I won't be getting descriptive about it. And probably cursing as well. Does that sound like it may be too much? I can make it less specific of course.

What is a 'Freeform RP'?

8 years ago

That sounds perfectly fine by site rules, I think. Good luck with it!