Non-threaded

Forums » Advanced Editor Forum » Read Thread

Get help from the experts on variables, scripts, items, and other scary things.

Game sequel

8 years ago

Any easy way to bring variables from a prequel story game into a new one? I might just have the endgame "score" of the prequel be a unique identifier for the choices made in that game. So if there are two major choices in the prequel, ID 1 would be yes to both, ID 2 Yes to first, no to second, ID 3 no to first, yes to second, ID 4 no to both. Any thoughts? 

Game sequel

8 years ago

Does the prequel have a satisfying ending, or is it just setup for the sequel? If they don't stand on their own as independent games, I'd suggest combining the two into a single game. Your players will thank you.

Game sequel

8 years ago

A starting code, yes, but the issue is that your games should warrant being separate entities. I have only ever considered doing this once, and that was with a game larger than 1000 pages.

Game sequel

8 years ago

Ah, good points you two!  I guess that is very true.  I'm just so excited to release my unfinished story I was considering doing multiple releases of it.

Game sequel

8 years ago
Avoid the temptation!

Here is what will happen (okay, what's happened often in the past):

1. New writer gets very excited about CYS and joins up, starts writing a storygame.
2. New writer gets so excited about showing their storygame to CYS users, that they cannot wait until the story is done.
3. New writer decides to release something, just to get the satisfaction of publishing. It may be called Part One, Prequel, Beta-Test, Demo, or something similar.
4. New story gets absolutely blasted by CYS readers and extremely low ratings because CYS readers don't want to read an unfinished story.
5. New writer gets disappointed, dejected, and rejected because of the comments and low ratings. Then they never finish the story they started and leaves the site because "Everyone there hates me."

Yes, I get the excitement! I have a number of stories here and even when I release new ones, I cannot stop from checking it out all day, looking for new comments. One of the first places I go every day when I get onto this site is to see if I have new comments on my stories. But I can assure you that you will be rewarded much more if you wait until your story is complete before you publish it. Yes, it does take time, but it will be worth it!

And if you really want someone to read what you've written and comment on it, make sure that "sneak preview" is on and then post requests for review. Those don't get a lot of comments, but you will certainly get some.