Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Far Cry Primal

8 years ago

Never played any of the other Far Cry games since they didn't look very interesting, but I like the prehistoric theme with this one and it isn't like there are that many games with that setting. 

So has anyone played this one? Is it worth paying for now, just good enough to wait until the bargain bin or does it just suck completely? Is it one of those games where you need to play it on the hardest possible setting to get any challenge/fun out of it, does it have too many cut scenes/quick time events, etc.  You know, that sort of thing.

As usual, Sentinel can feel free to rant about how the game sucks so much that it actually makes the world a much worse place.

Far Cry Primal

8 years ago
I was in the same position as you, having never played the previous ones, but I wanted to club the crap out of mega-fauna with stone weaponry. I bought it a few weeks ago, and I'm only like 8% into it, but I like it so far. From what I've seen to this point, it's not a game I can sit down and play for hours at a time, but it's pretty sweet for shorter bursts. I mostly run around aimlessly, murder animals and craft shit from their lifeless carcasses. But you can fight the 'bad' tribe of people too, and retake outposts. I guess that's what the main plot follows - taking back the valley and saving your scattered people.

I've only tried that once, but the challenge was pretty tough, in my opinion, and I ended up running away scared like a little girl after killing maybe ten people, leaving a trail of my own blood in my wake. The map looks pretty darn big and the graphics and aesthetics are pleasing.

My main gripe is that the conversations are all in 'cave talk' and you have to read subtitles to understand what they're saying. That's a little more realism than I need, I'd have strongly preferred English. If I had wanted to read, I would have played Skyrim and picked up a book.

Far Cry Primal

8 years ago

Interesting. Didn't think they'd go the whole Quest for Fire route with the dialog. I figured they would go the typical route of having the cave folks all speaking modern English. I'm okay with the cave talk though.

Far Cry Primal

8 years ago

Yeah, I wasn't at all interested in Far Cry, it's just not really my type but when Primal came out I got interested.

What Console do you have? Because I think I might get it in a few weeks if it turns out well and the quality is good.........

Far Cry Primal

8 years ago

PS4, though I only got Witcher 3, Fallout 4, and Terraria for it. I used to have Wasteland 2, but after I beat it, I traded it in for Fallout 4. Should have known that W2 despite having less content was 10 times the RPG F4 was. Lol.

I haven't really found many of the recent console games grabbing my attention in general though. I find that I tend to download a lot more old school style turn based strategy or RPGs for the iPad nowadays.

Far Cry Primal

8 years ago

Yeah, I know what you mean Lol. I have the awful, awful Black Ops 3 and Star Wars Battlefront. That's pretty much it. I know, I'm boring :P

Far Cry Primal

8 years ago

Better than Far Cry 4's bullshit with the endless parkour temples.

Far Cry Primal

8 years ago

Oh my god, don't get me started!!!!!!

Far Cry Primal

8 years ago

Far Cry 3 is, and will always, be the best Far Cry game that ever existed. The voice actors, and the graphics (at the time), the location, were all perfect. Vaas is what made the game special, as he truly was a crazy person.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCCaUqC5bTE

Far Cry Primal

8 years ago

Hey, at least Mr. Pink-suit bothered to stick around for the whole game!

Far Cry Primal

8 years ago
Got this and The Division a few days ago, both at half price. I liked Primal, only issue with it being that it felt like the other two Far Cry games, just without guns. Also, once you've upgraded most of your gear, the game becomes WAY too easy.

Far Cry Primal

8 years ago

I haven't played it personally, but I have seen others play it. It is the same as 3, and 4, but just without guns. Everything is basically the same, except not in English, and no guns. Since Endmaster hasn't played the others, he will probably like it.

Far Cry Primal

8 years ago

I'm actually happy to say that I have to go out of my way nowadays to find shit that's worth ranting about. Unless it's Life is Strange, but that wasn't really a game so much as it was a project some kid would make for his film major when he can't afford special effects or keep any of his actors in the same damn place together.

Far Cry Primal, like most Far Cry games, is very much worth throwing your money at during a steam sale when the devs finally give up and say "We've run out of other ways to BS you out of your money, so here's the version with all the DLCs attached for free. That's worked for all of the GOTYs, right?..."

Not that it's a bad game. It's a great game. It doesn't shove plot down your throat. Unlike other Far Crys, they all speak in Simlish, so they keep the plot short, concise, and the cutscenes under 5 minutes long, because they know people don't like listening to that shit. The first few cutscenes explain what's going on quickly, and then fuck off and let you get going.

"You are a caveman. These are your caveman friends. They want to kill an elephant. GO!"

"You killed the elephant. Your caveman friends are happy. You get attacked by a wild liger. GO!"

"This is a new character. Also, there's that fucking liger again. Now you're in the open world map. GO!"

You aren't forced into a certain character's head, either. Your guy is the average sunburnt neanderthal and he's ready to do whatever you want him to and it wouldn't be out of character, whereas in other games you're a certain kind of good guy and some varieties of player dicketry just seem out of place.  But with Takar or whatever his name is, he just doesn't say much. He's the best kind of guy to do whatever you want with, and it's hilarious. I know that's not saying much, since he's a video game protagonist, but he has this Gordon Freeman vibe to him. You're revered as a hero and a pretty great guy by your co-cavemen, but you can still go around being an asshole and setting turtles on fire while merry minstrels sing your praises.

The villain also isn't characterized that much, but he doesn't have to be. All you need to know is that they're bigger and angrier than everyone else, so you kill them to survive. They no longer feel the need to make their villains into allusions to Drug Cartels and Pol Pot just to make sure you know he's a dick, because in this world, everyone's a dick, so it doesn't matter anymore.

I also like the weapon variety. Instead of a bunch of samey machine guns with a few things that stick out, everything so far is a unique combat technique or gimmick that you can build a playstyle around rather than just non-chalantly upgrading. You get spears, you get clubs (The wooden one you can set on fire in order to abuse people, animals, and landscapes, but I prefer the war club because it looks Mad-Max-ey.) and you get a bow, and that's as far as I got, but there's a bunch of extra slots, so it's got to be good. Sure, they don't have any vehicles or anything, but you can now summon forest critters to do your bidding, which is kind of cool. I hear you get a pet tiger later on, which has good implications, since you can already basically mind-control owls.

It's a good game, 7/10, would buy in due time, still waiting for Far Cry Medieval.