Non-threaded

Forums » Feature Wishing Well » Read Thread

Suggestions for improvements and additions to the site.
This feature was rejected 8/19/2019: Not a fan, personally. Right now commendations are objective (based on story length) and making them subjective doesn't leave a good taste in my mouth.

[SITE] Tuning the Commendation System

7 years ago

I still say admins should have the ability to dock commendation points.

7 years ago

Unless a significant amount of time has passed, and the content is no longer relatively as good as it was earlier, allowing takebacks on commendations would make for choppy moments (a person is happy and then unhappy at reversal of fortunes).

That said, I know the feeling of sending out a wrong email all too well, so how about a compromise? Commendations can be cancelled within 3 days of them being issued, but not after. Gives enough of a window in case something damning about a storygame comes to light, without making a very mercurial system either.

However, under such a system, it may be wise to not notify a commendation has been awarded till the 3 day period is up. This is based on the Boomerang plugin for Gmail, which allows an email to be unsent within 10 seconds of clicking the send button (by keeping it in the outbox but not releasing it till then). I'll admit, it's saved my hide more than once.

7 years ago

Because you can’t really predict how many commendations a story is going to get until AFTER you’ve commended it. I’m not really into “blind commendation.” Featured comments and posts have a set value and they’re low so it doesn’t matter as much.

Take IronPather’s story (Now taken down) it got commended but it probably got a slight quick draw commendation and IP got a bunch of Com points and even Berka said he might have rethought about doing that had he delved more into the story.

Mistakes happen of course, since I’ve probably featured some comments that probably could have been better, but there’s a big difference between someone getting 3 Com points compared to say 60 of them.

With the ability to dock the commendation points, Berka could have shaved 30 points or so off if he didn’t think it was quite as good as he thought and IronP would still get recognition for his story.

7 years ago

Alright, so in addition to no takebacks, the other issue is you have to go with the parametric formula for scoring (instead of having manual control like EXP grants). Even showing you how many Commendations it would get beforehand is sub-optimal, because in this case it'd cause an unfair choice (Commend for a value you feel is too high, vs not commend at all). One possible solution which I'm not too sold on myself is to

a) Show the Commendation value up front to Mods before they commit the Commendation
    b) Decide if you want to commend for the full value or half the value.

In any case, the subject matter is slightly different from the main discussion on the thread, could we move this (from your OP onwards) to a separate FWW thread called "Tuning the Commendation System?"

7 years ago

I feel like this would start more flame wars in the DMA threads and stuff. It would make some things easier though.

7 years ago
Could you explain your train of thought in a bit more detail? Also, would this still happen if all commendations are confirmed only after 3 days (and permanent at that point)?