Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

eyyyy Frostpunk

5 years ago

https://store.steampowered.com/app/323190/Frostpunk/

Lookks like it's gonna be a CYOA / Civ hybrid, or an eye-candy version of that one city-state website that I can't remember the name of.

Not gonna buy if we're not cannibalizing babies though.  They taste the best.

eyyyy Frostpunk

5 years ago
It's a city building This War of Mine, I'll wait for the eventual DLC and content packs before buying in. I hear the execution and narrative development is extremely strong.

eyyyy Frostpunk

5 years ago
We were talking about this some in the survival games thread. It's more like Tropico on Hoth and with the difficulty amped up than anything. There are events that put a more personal spin on strategic choices but the game is won or lost through efficient city design.

Not really gripping me as much as I've hoped so far, but then I haven't really put any serious play sessions in yet.

It's selling really well thong so more scenarios and DLC is a given.

eyyyy Frostpunk

5 years ago

eyyyy Frostpunk

5 years ago
I guess they wound up removing cannibalism at the last minute for ratings or something.

I regret my purchase.

eyyyy Frostpunk

5 years ago

Well that's bullshit. Do they still have child labor?

eyyyy Frostpunk

5 years ago
Yeah but honestly most of the fun choices have alternatives that are mechanically just as good or better. (Although considering the time period I'm not even sure why child labor is 'evil' as opposed to just a given, or where people get off thinking they have some right to working only ten hour shifts...)

There's Faith vs Order paths in the laws that eventually let you arrest / execute dissidents and finally either have you declaring yourself Frost Pope or else going full fascist. But if you go too far down either path you get this 'but was it worth it???' bullshit at the end. (Or if you go all the way, 'you have lost your humanity')

Especially stupid when right now it can trigger even if you've done nothing that was that big a deal. Like idk game, having a police force, stretching rations with soup and making them work 14 hour shifts during the literal apocalypse? I saved the human race and only a handful of people died but....was it worth it???

Anyway right now the goal is to survive 45 days and there are three scenarios. I've only beat the first but I think they all involve timed events kicking in to ramp up the difficultly. It's just, once you know they're coming you know how to prepare.

Game LOOKS great, it's stylish af, but the content is just not there yet. I'll probably put it aside for some until they do some more balancing or kick out new scenarios. It's sold really well so at least that's all a guarantee.

eyyyy Frostpunk

5 years ago

But if you go too far down either path you get this 'but was it worth it???' bullshit at the end. (Or if you go all the way, 'you have lost your humanity')

Well that’s not really surprising given that it's the creators of This War of Mine. They generally always want you to experience the fee fees of hardship and man’s inhumanity to man.

While I guess that sort of worked in TWOM,  due to it dealing with a handful of people to better "connect" with (And I still think that was very limited) the same approach doesn’t work so well in a “god/dictator sim."

In any case, just remember these words from another enlightened leader.

If our society seems more nihilistic than that of previous eras, perhaps this is simply a sign of our maturity as a sentient species. As our collective consciousness expands beyond a crucial point, we are at last ready to accept life's fundamental truth: that life's only purpose is life itself.

What do I care for your suffering? Pain, even agony, is no more than information before the senses, data fed to the computer of the mind. The lesson is simple: you have received the information, now act on it. Take control of the input and you shall become master of the output.

- Chairman Yang

eyyyy Frostpunk

5 years ago
To be honest, they kinda made humanity painful for the sake of it back in TWOM. The entire 'guard your fort from invaders at night' mechanic was pretty contrived as per war survivors. When the going gets tough, communities band together, and 'night invaders' tend to be a very rare occurrences. I have Frostpunk, just need to get round to finishing it, and while I respect their previous work, I'm very clear about it having its flaws.

eyyyy Frostpunk

5 years ago
I guess. I mean unless you're talking about New Orleans or Detroit or something Communities made up of certain kind of people, you might say.

eyyyy Frostpunk

5 years ago

I had more of a problem with how every person spiraled into deep depression anytime they just stole a few things, let alone killed anyone other than "thugs."

I mean, from a gameplay stand point I guess it balanced things so you just didn’t say fuck it and go full raider yourself, but they could have had more of a randomizer. Because while some people are going to feel bad about stealing/killing someone, you’ll get someone else who’ll eventually get over it and not give shit at all after doing it a few times.

eyyyy Frostpunk

5 years ago
I agree with this assessment. The one and you're done mechanic felt inappropriate for the reality of survival during extreme hardships

eyyyy Frostpunk

5 years ago
Why not just let you go full raider is what I didn't get, if that's how you want to play. Increase the risk if it needs balancing. Robbing houses was fun, a big part of the game was built around it and then they stapled on this annoying mechanic to scold you for playing with it. I dislike 'message ' games primarily for that reason, just give me a simulation of something interesting without standing over my shoulder telling me I'm doing it wrong please.

eyyyy Frostpunk

5 years ago
I feel like the moral choices will get ignored pretty quick so you don't, you know, die. A game like that seems like it will have one very clear best way of surviving discovered pretty soon.

eyyyy Frostpunk

5 years ago
The game is short as shit. Fuck I regret my purchase, overhyped as fuck.

I should have bought Sakura Spirit