Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Discord is worsening CYS

5 years ago

This is not really anything of my interest, but in my opinion, sure. The new discord servers work great as a fast and easy method for a forum, but on the other side, as people are transferring from CYS forums to Discord, the time people are now spending on the actual CYS site is gradually decreasing. Not that it is that much of a problem at all, I just posted to notify everyone and see what they think. 

-Rattler :) 

Discord is worsening CYS

5 years ago

Nah, the storygame part is still fine, and people do the same amount of reading they ordinarily would've.

Discord is worsening CYS

5 years ago

I know, people do the same amount of reading, but I have started to see that forum action is slowly decreasing. Also, when I look at the Who is online list I am now commonly met with, 40 guests, Rattler (ME), and a list of 5 or 6 other users.

Discord is worsening CYS

5 years ago

Summer is a notoriously slow time for the site... Which seems contradictory, I usually spent more time here off school than on.

oh

5 years ago

Oh, I guess so. I was just confused, and couldn't find a reason why not many people were on the site.

oh

5 years ago

To be fair, this was never a huge site. Our peak point was maybe 560 guests plus three rows of members at its very highest. That's like, a medium-sized convention. Most of the time in a school year it's maybe 100-200 guests and two rows of member names.

Discord is worsening CYS

5 years ago
Weekends have always been kind of dead too, but I don't think Rattler has really been around long enough (as in outside the womb as well as on the site) to identify trends like that.

A lot of the active people being focused on contests is another factor, although it's apparently a trend that Discord is pretty much replacing forums everywhere. In our case though the forum is still the best and more permanent format to use in posting writing or long rants essays on whatever and getting feedback so we're safer than like, a game discussion site. Plus the forum still has all the young kids and irritating people I'd kick from the server as well as newbies, so there's that.

It's not like mine was the first Discord anyhow, but since they were going to be sucking people away from the site either way we needed one at least vaguely writing focused where people are encouraged not to be cringey meme spewing mongoloids.

The bigger issue of course it's that it's a huge distraction from doing anything productive, moreso than the Lounge ever was. I would honestly not encourage anyone to hang out in there too much, it's literally just everyone posting whatever random thought crosses their mind and Steve and coins trolling while IAP and Sabley compare notes about how shitty the South is and Malk talks about his bowel movements or how high he is right now in enthusiastic detail and I've muted my own main channel at this point lol.

Discord is worsening CYS

5 years ago
Although I did notice that instead of the Discord, @AzBaz still keeps wandering into the IRC like the world's slowest learning Down Syndrome puppy after a few too many kicks to the head, so that's funny.

Discord is worsening CYS

5 years ago
lol I've muted my main channel too. I've had all the channels muted except for the single channel where only me and BD are allowed to talk technical stuff. Nowadays it's just common practice for me to join a server and imemdiately mute everything. The little new-message icons can only be seen so many times without some amount of anger boiling to the surface.

Discord is worsening CYS

5 years ago
I talk in there too but it's mostly just to ask BD scripting questions.

Discord is worsening CYS

5 years ago
Because discords messaging system is so fast and efficient, people are happy to write random things that come across them. However, on the CYS Forums, the messages aer reasonably slow, so people favour putting effort into good-quality and reasonable posts.

*This does not count for when Steve24833 collapses his fat ass into the Lounge, all he does is complain.*

Discord is worsening CYS

5 years ago
"people favor putting effort into good-quality and reasonable posts." lol since when xD

Discord is worsening CYS

5 years ago
When they're posting important things, and their message takes about 40 seconds to actually upload, so their not going to just write, "Hello, I'm bored." for the hell of it.

Discord is worsening CYS

5 years ago
but they do.

all.
the.
damn.
time.

Discord is worsening CYS

5 years ago
Yeah, actually I agree. I've just looked through quite a bit of the forum and I now realise how stupid people act...

Discord is worsening CYS

5 years ago

Hmmm, looks like Steve resides in your head without any required rent from him.

Discord is worsening CYS

5 years ago

They even have the same snake profile shtick...

Discord is worsening CYS

5 years ago

I love how even a short interaction with you has left you incapable of not thinking about me, young blood. I guess I’m just that important in your unimportant life.