Non-threaded

Forums » Advanced Editor Forum » Read Thread

Get help from the experts on variables, scripts, items, and other scary things.

Use 2 variables in 1 on-page script statement?

5 years ago

The tutorials explain very easily how to use a single variable value to hide or reveal text on a page. For example,

    %%VARIABLE%=%1%insert variable dependent text here%%.

But is it possible to have a single block of text that depends on two variables using this technique (or something similar)?

For example, if you have VARIABLE1 and VARIABLE2, I'm looking for something like

    VARIABLE1%=%1% AND VARIABLE2%=%1%

and then all the text would follow.

I'm hoping for a simple on page variable trick. So far, the only solution I can think of is to have a script relating VARIABLE1 and VARIABLE2 to VARIABLE3, and the statement in the page script

    IF %VARIABLE1 = 1 AND %VARIABLE2 = 1, THEN %VARIABLE3 := 1

, and then use

    %%VARIABLE3%=%1%insert variable dependent text%%.

So is there some easy way to do this on page without using a third variable?

Although, now that I think about it, the solution in this post might work fine. But I think it might be a bit clunkier. If there is no other way I'll live, but it would be cool if we could use AND and OR statements and the like with on page scripting.

5 years ago
I don't see why you'd need the third variable at all. AND statements work just fine unless you're using < or > symbols. Why not just say:

IF %VAR1 = 1 AND %VAR2 = 1 THEN $PAGETEXT := $PAGETEXT + "Whatever you want to say here."

Does that answer your question?

5 years ago
He's talking about on page variable text though. Being able to use AND instead of the third variable definitely would streamline that and be useful in a lot of situations.

5 years ago
Right. I am talking about on page scripting. Now I wonder if nested on page scripting will work?

Actually on 2nd thought that won’t work because the nested %% will be interpreted as tha end of the previousl thought

5 years ago
Yeah, so far as im aware combining the variables into one is the only way to accomplish what you want.

5 years ago
Also I vote that Leora's game be disqualified, if she doesn't know the difference between on page variable text and $PAGETEXT she clearly didn't write it herself!!

5 years ago
Lol Miz. I used $PAGETEXT any time the text changed in my game. I don't pretend to be an expert and there are likely many ways my code could be improved. I assumed that he was talking about page scripts. If that is a different thing, my mistake. It certainly doesn't have anything to do with my own game or the seemingly endless hours I put into it having known nothing about scripting beforehand. You're an admin, you could just check the code if you don't believe me :P