Non-threaded

Forums » Advanced Editor Forum » Read Thread

Get help from the experts on variables, scripts, items, and other scary things.

Link Restrictions Question

5 years ago

Please forgive me, for I am slow at times. I've read the article and I'm trying to stop the "player" from clicking a link when the variable is true.

It says: 

Variable restrictions are meant to stop the player from selecting a link when the value of a variable, or variables, is true.

I want it so that you can't click "leave" when my variable is between 2 and 4. I made it so, once you are on that page, the variable is 3. The variable shows 3, yet the link is still visible. What am I doing wrong?

5 years ago
Which game is it? I can take a quick look at what you have, it may be something simple.

5 years ago

Do you have the extension? Not sure if you can see it.

It's Fallout I - title page is 'More Chatting' - Links would be: Talk to ..., Talk to..., Leave

Just go to DONE as soon as you get so the 'social' part

5 years ago
You don't have it in sneak peak, but I just needed a title. At a glance I'd guess the issue is 'talk to Dad' since you have it set to add 8 to the variable, not 3. Unless I'm missing something elsewhere that drops it to negative 5 before that happens.

5 years ago

OK
I wanted it at +8 to make it far away from the variable.

I wanted it to be that if BDAYDAD has the higher variable #, you can leave. Lower #, you can't.

That's why clicking 'more chatting' gives you 3 only and talking to dad, gives you 8. Does that make sense?

I mean as soon as I click the more chatting page, leave should be unavailable. at this point you haven't clicked "talk to dad" yet. So you don't have +8.

I think...

5 years ago

NVM I figured it out

The 'in between variables' had to be higher to STOP the link from displaying. aka outside of the range i chose for my variable

I thought it meant, if your variable (3)  is between these two numbers (1 and 4), we will STOP the link from displaying, but I guess not.

5 years ago
Okay, yeah it might be worded a little confusingly I suppose. But what you're setting is a restricted link unless the criteria is met.

5 years ago

Yeah, I see that now. And yes, I want it visible. At least I won't run into any trouble the next time I need to restrict. I only ever used item restrictions.

Thanks for the help.

5 years ago
'Leave' is greyed out when I get there so it can't be selected. It won't become active until that variable is between 4 and 6. If you want it to be both inactive and not visible at all you need to uncheck Visible When Inactive.

5 years ago
Link restrictions work the other way. The link is restricted (not available) unless the variables match what you say they should be

5 years ago

Ahhh I got that now. Thanks. I was so confused