Non-threaded

Forums » Advanced Editor Forum » Read Thread

Get help from the experts on variables, scripts, items, and other scary things.

Neat thing I discovered about images on the editor

9 months ago

Due to the rather ancient nature of the site, I normally use another website to upload my images there and use the website for the direct link that is needed to paste the image on the page. One big thing I often worried about is that this hosting site would crash and disappear along with my links (I don't use imgur).

So about the trick I discovered that makes copypasting images a lot easier and quicker.

The trick is to copypaste the image you want in a word document. Type some stuff underneath it. Then select the image AND the words. And then paste them together onto the page on the site. The image will show up clear as day. (It won't work if you only copypaste the image)

I checked on a different device whether it won't bug out and even deleted the main source of the image to make sure I wasn't the only one who could see these images. Perhaps some people already know of this, but no article has mentioned that this was even an option. If this trick works for more people, then it would make a great addition to the article we already have regarding posting images.

So if you are very lazy and cannot be bothered to upload pictures to another site and find a good direct link.... Well apparently there's no need to make such a hassle. I'm still a bit baffled that this trick even worked. 

9 months ago
It's probably copying the image as a base-64 data URI or something. You'll know if you do that and post it to notepad++ or a similar text editor, and since we don't scrub HTML super duper well it works. I don't have Word to test if this is what's happening or not.

7 months ago
This is a marvelous thing I never knew was possible. I thank you, you gay abomination.

7 months ago

Your sincerity is showing. I'm glad that this truck didn't kill you as I almost feared that you really passed away. 

2 months ago

On this topic, I found I was unable to set up a background image on pages using the instructions on Zikara's help article https://chooseyourstory.com/help/articles/article.aspx?ArticleId=108

which give $PAGETEXT := $PAGETEXT + "<body background='URL'>" to put in the global page script

or <body background="URL"> at the beginning of a page.

Is this feature dead?

2 months ago
Without looking into it at all, I'd guess you have to use proper CSS for that kind of thing now.

@Ogre11 will figure this out.

2 months ago
implemented in that way, yes, such a technique is dead.

2 months ago
My 2015 story implemented that way and still works. But yes, for me the body background stuff is in a style tag in the global script:

2 months ago
Uhh, sorry for the edit but it was for....reasons.

2 months ago
Fine:

$PAGETEXT := $PAGETEXT + "STYLE
body {background: #DDD url('http://chooseyourstory.com/i/?32462') repeat; }

Just put angle brackets around style. And end it later on, of course.

2 months ago

thanks, I'll give it a try at some point!