Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Mass Effect 3

12 years ago

Anyone else picking this game up tonight? Ive been a big fan of the series and was just curious to see how you guys like it.

Mass Effect 3

12 years ago

I'm a fan of the series but after the second one I was a bit disappointed.

So I'm going to wait for a few reviews to come out to get an idea of if it's as good as I hope it is first.

Mass Effect 3

12 years ago
My mom is buying it for me as a late Christmas gift.

Mass Effect 3

12 years ago
I already have it preordered and I'm gonna get it at the midnight release.

Mass Effect 3

12 years ago
For those wondering what Mass Effect 3 is...THIS IS MASS EFFECT 3!!!!!!!

Mass Effect 3

12 years ago

I pre-paid most of it already but I still need fifteen dollars :( I can't wait for my next check so I can get it!!!!!!

Mass Effect 3

12 years ago

It will have to wait until i'm done with Skyrim and my reading book.

Mass Effect 3

12 years ago
Well so far, Bioware didn't drop the ball on this one like they did spectacularly with Dragon Age 2.

All my choices have carried over from the past two games from what I can tell, including all the downloadable content I played. The problem I've had so far is my character's face wouldn't transfer over for some reason, so I had to recreate what he looked like again, I got him to look almost exactly the same though.

Word of warning, apparently some of the missions are timed. This makes sense given that the Reapers are destroying the galaxy and you have no time to be rescuing every little kitten from a tree. It's not that constricting of a timer though. Basically from what I've read if you don't take care of side missions before your priority missions then they will start failing as the Reapers keep advancing and things get dire. I guess you always have time to finish the priority missions which progress the story. So it's sort of like having multiple versions of the Suicide Mission in Mass Effect 2. If you want the best results, do all the side stuff before taking on the main missions.

Still have to "beat" Skyrim since I never did finish the main story quests (Civil War and the Dragon stuff) Still have to finish Kingdoms of Amalur too, which I was playing until Mass Effect 3 came out.

Mass Effect 3

12 years ago
You don't "beat" Skyrim, you either get all the achievements/trophies or you run out of things to do and have to sit and wait for DLC to drop... both apply to me...

Mass Effect 3

12 years ago
Technically you can in fact "beat" Skyrim since it has two storyline questlines, the civil war and the Dragonborn questlines. everything after that is bonus content, like the side quests in Mass Effect.

Mass Effect 3

12 years ago
I like the ending of me3 Trying to get all seven.

Mass Effect 3

12 years ago

Yeah im working on the "perfect" ending in my insanity playthrough right now, the first ending i got wasnt the best:p

Mass Effect 3

12 years ago
people get one of the not so good endings and immideatly say the ending was horrible. They need to figure out how to play a bioWare game.

Mass Effect 3

12 years ago

Honestly, when theres multiple choices, i figured it was obvious there were multiple endings!

Mass Effect 3

12 years ago
exactly.

Mass Effect 3

12 years ago

well skyrim is unbeatable so I suggest to start reading those books

Mass Effect 3

12 years ago

Okay so I finally bought it and all I have to say is this game is AWESOME! Anyway I also got xbox live for the first time ever (:D) and so I was wondering if anyone wanted to kiss ass in multiplayer with me. My gamertag is StridentBore6 (Its the free one and I am probably going to change it as soon as I think of something better.)

Mass Effect 3

12 years ago

Kick ass* sorry about the typo.

Mass Effect 3

12 years ago

[Next post will be a spoiler on the endings]

Mass Effect 3

12 years ago

I like the ending of me3 Trying to get all seven.

Seriously? The ending I got was terrible. I then searched online to see if there was any "good" ending, and there was none.

Apparently the endings are as follows:

- Earth is destroyed, you failed

- Earth is partially destroyed, you succeeded

- Earth is saved, you succeeded

That's seriously it. You last choice seems to be completely pointless, because regardless of what you choose, the results are pretty much the same. The choices are:

- Destroy the reapers (and all synthetic life)

- Merge synthetic and organic life

- Control the reapers

None of these endings actually show anything different.  In every ending the following happens:

- A coloured light (green, red or blue I believe) expands and covers everything

- The relays are destroyed

- Joker crash lands on some planet

The only variations are: who shows up with joker, the reapers either fall down and die or fly away, if Shepard lives or dies (which is done in an incredibly stupid way) and...the colour of the light that expands everywhere.

I'm really not sure if I can describe just how incredibly disappointed I am in the ending(s), but I'll try.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let's start with an easy one: Why the hell did Bioware completely change their take on endings in the Mass Effect universe?

In the first one, the "Big" choice is the save the council or not. If you don't save them, humanity gains an edge on the rest of the galaxy at the expense of the other races. If you do save them, humanity is more respected by the rest of the races, at the expense of losing a good portion of their military.

In the second one, the "Big" choice is to destroy the reaper facility, or keep it. Now, assuming you trusted the Illusive Man, the idea here was that saving the facility would result in humanity getting ahead of the rest of the races, at the expense of risking the fate of the galaxy. If you destroy it, well, you save the galaxy and everyone is happy with you.

Do you see the common theme with these endings? It's US vs THEM. At the start of the first game, humanity is the up-and-coming race that needs to earn the respect of the others, and you actions in the first two games can effectively decide if humans dominate the galaxy, or play nicely with the other races.

In the third game, none of that matters at all. Your choices are soley on how to deal with the reapers, which ruins that theme.Yes, you could argue that another theme was about synthetic vs organic life, but that never had anything to do with the endings.

Now that I've realized I've written a lot, I'll just shorten what I originally wanted to say. The endings (all of them) were bad. The ending could have been really satisfying, in fact should have been, but it flopped completely. The galaxy had already suffered so much, that a happy ending could have still existed and been bittersweet. Why destroy the relays? That means that not only will most of the other races be stranded on Earth, but a good portion of them will die because they can't survive on Earth. Not to mention the countless other people on various colonies through-out the galaxy that are effectively stranded in their respective location, who will probably die due to many of them relying on trade. Then there's Joker randomly flying away. Where the hell is he going, and why? Also why the hell did he even survive the crash, unharmed. He's supposed to have brittle bones, to the point where he can't even dance, yet he can survive that crash?

Not to mention we don't even get a damn epilogue for any of the endings, explaining just what the fuck resulted from our choices. The closest we get is that "stargazer" and kid standing on a planet, which tells us nothing. Though I think it's the planet Joker crashed on, all that you could infer from that is that Joker and the rest of the crew got busy and repopulate an entire planet, which isn't satisfying in the least.

Bioware said the Mass Effect Universe would continue, but if any of the endings are canon, that's impossible. They pretty much have to have any additional content take place some time between the first and second game in order for it not to ignore the series.

Ugh, just so disappointed. The worst part is that it would have been so easy to have a good ending. Not saying they ALL have to be good endings, in fact most being bad would have been a good thing, but the "Best" ending should have at least felt satisfying and made you felt like you actually saved something. With the endings we got, I barely see a difference between them and just letting the reapers continue the cycle, seeing as practically everyone died anyways and were sent back thousands of years in terms of technology.

Man that was a long rant.

Mass Effect 3

12 years ago

I think they lost some of the original writers for the third game, since there were rumors of a different ending (or endings) planned.

Unless they create their own "Broken Steel" to alter the endings, my guess is they'll choose the destroy the Reapers ending and time skip a few hundred years as a way of getting around of writing the immediate repercussions and just have the surviving races still trying to rebuild what was lost.

I imagine a race like the Yahg are going to be the new threating super power in the galaxy since they won't be kept confined to their home world anymore by the citadel races and it was shown in the Shadow Broker how clever and strong just one of them was.

The Genophage will get hand waved. They'll just say the Krogan either got cured or managed to evolve so that it didn't effect them anymore, but their birth rate was still lower than it used to be just so it is plausible that the Krogan don't overrun the galaxy.

Humans and Turians will be a shadow of their former selves. Probably the Asari and the Salarians too, but the Asari didn't seem to get hit as bad and the Salarians excel in the science field so they'll probably get stuff and running quicker.

The Quarians will have their homeworld back, but if we use the kill all synthetics ending then the Geth are all dead.

The Hanar, Drell, Volos, and Elcor will probably be in worse shape than the rest, but still around.

The Vorcha breed pretty quickly and adapt pretty well so they'll probably still be around.

The Batarians will probably be extinct.

Anyway, it really isn't the endings themselves that suck a lot. True, they're sort of silly since the writers were trying to be philosophical and the game really isn't that deep to begin with, but it's probably more disappointing that you don't find out what happened to all the races and people you dealt with in the epilogue.

Given that you interacted with most of these characters over the course of 3 games, I think made it worse for most people. Even in Fallout 3 with its original abrupt ending, that was just one game and you never got attached to anyone.

Given that you've got Bioware freaks that get OVER attached to their romance options (Lol), the nerd raging that are flooding their forums shouldn't be too surprising. Really, Bioware should have learned their lesson with Dragon Age 2 when they got complaints for that. (Though those weren't the only problem with that game).

I think even if they had mentioned your past and present Normandy crew's fates people would've been satisfied. Personally, I still like the Mass Effect series overall, but they finally dropped the ball at the ending. (Should've done their epilogue like the first Dragon Age or Fallout New Vegas) I'm too lazy to nerd rage about it too hard though, since I got my money's worth out of playing the game.

Mass Effect 3

12 years ago

So I finally beat it with the best ending and it was pretty bad, but I still loved the game as a whole.

Mass Effect 3

12 years ago
My Shepard was going to die anyway so I just picked the "Green Ending" where synthetics and organics combine. Joker and EDI ended up together and I know Liara lived since I saw her coming off the ship too.

Mordin, Thane, Legion, Miranda and Anderson all died, and I assume Javik and Garrus did too since they came with me on the last mission.

Mass Effect 3

12 years ago

Have you seen anything on forums about the theory of Shepard being indoctrinated at the time of the choices at the end, i really doubt it, but i think Bioware should jump into the fan speculation and use it to their advantage!

Mass Effect 3

12 years ago
I just finished the game and I AM MAD AS HELL.

Mass Effect 3

12 years ago

You said earlier you liked the ending?

Or did you just assume you got a bad ending and now realize every ending is pretty much the same?

Mass Effect 3

12 years ago
second one.

Mass Effect 3

12 years ago

Apparently Bioware is sending out a bunch of "cryptic" message on their twitter, which hints that they plan to release something that may make people feel better about the end. People are asking question about the ending and Bioware is pretty much going "just wait and see".

Mass Effect 3

12 years ago
Well it did say after you beat the game "Commander Shepard is now a legend, continue that legend with multiplayer and downloadable content" so it might be possible that they're doing another add on to alter the ending similar to Broken Steel, but if that is the case it probably would be in their best interest to outright say they were considering how angry people are.

There are also complaints that unless you play multiplayer or the iOS games it is impossible to get the "best ending". Someone is still doing the math, but it's looking like you can only get around 3800 EMS (Not TMS) points even if you do everything right. You need at least 4000 to get Shepard to survive and the maximum is 5000 to get the best ending.

I think I had around 3600 with all the races united, all the planet scans and side missions. The only major things I think I missed were the Rachni warriors (100 points) since I killed the queen and Miranda and Samara (I think they're like 40 a piece) weren't able to assist in the final battle either. (Chose Morinth over Samara in ME2, and Morinth pops up as a Banshee on earth. Heh.)

Mass Effect 3

12 years ago
You all know the mission, and what is at stake.
I have come to trust each of you with my life;
but I have also heard murmurs of discontent.
I share your concerns.
We are trained for resistance, we would be legends,
but the media is sealed.
Trolling in battle is not our way.
Think of our heroes: Broken Steel, who changed an ending in the best way possible; Or the Social Media,
who changed opinions with easy-to-use link embedding.
These giants do not seem to give us solace here,
but they are not all that we are.
Before the sales, there were the initial fans.
Before backlash, there were the players!
Our influence changed how people tell stories,
but before that, we held the line!
Our influence integrated the community into the dev cycle,
but before that, we held the line!
Our influence will stop fanbase exploitation,
in the battle this year, we will HOLD THE LINE!

Mass Effect 3

12 years ago

Mass Effect 3

12 years ago

If there was a like button I would have clicked it... a lot.

Mass Effect 3

12 years ago

I had 5714 TMS, which without multiplayer is 2857 EMS.

I'm not a completionist, but up until the Geth and Quarians I did pretty much every single side mission. I also got all the races to work together in the most paragon way possible (so I didn't betray the Krograns).

But yeah, it seems like Bioware pretty much lied when they said you didn't need multiplayer to get the best ending (which honestly everyone expected anyways).

Then again they lied about a few other things too, like how if you cheated on someone their would be consequences. As far as I've heard there aren't any. In fact you can even get back together with the person you cheated on or with.

Mass Effect 3

12 years ago

Ive been playing it and its pretty good but I mosly like playing online multiplayer because instead of playing with a human most of the time you can play with an alien race