Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

Currently writing first storygame and...

11 years ago

Hi all!

I'm currently writing my first storygame.  I'm worried that I may have been a little too ambitious for my first effort.  My goal is to create a fairly long story with meaningful choices.  I'm almost done with the first part or chapter, and I was thinking I should put it on the site for a test run.  Basically, make sure people actually like the story and then continue to work on it once I have some feedback.  

Of course, if I do that, the story will be incomplete and there will not be any true endings.  

What do you guys think?  Should I post the first chapter and see the reaction I get or wait until I finish this thing (which could take a very long time)?

Thanks!

CJM

11 years ago

Well, I wouldn't publish it, because you won't be able to remove the comments and ratings when you've completed your story. You can however post the link to your story here so we'll be able to read it, even though it isn't finished.

11 years ago

It can be smart to do so as i am fairly new as well and posted a page of my first story to the forums and thanks to doing so i got allot of good tips as well as a proof reader so if you think you might need some help i would post it

11 years ago

I would advocate asking someone you trust to view the story and give you feedback, rather than posting it to the site. If you have certain questions, problems, you're stuck, etc., it can be helpful to ask for specific feedback with a page or so, but I would encourage you to use the messaging system rather than the public forums for more in-depth feedback.

Publishing stories which are unfinished tend to get a response, albeit not always a positive one, but also make it so that when your story finally IS published, it is not a fresh, new story to be devoured by the public.

11 years ago

Most people don't like unfinished games. You can post the first page so that people can give you feedback on your writing and whether the first page draws you in or/and ask someone to review it for you.

11 years ago

^ Yep.