Non-threaded

Forums » Advanced Editor Forum » Read Thread

Get help from the experts on variables, scripts, items, and other scary things.

Names?

10 years ago

Okay, so I've played a game where people can call you by name, because at the beginning you spell it out (different page for each letter) and that is your custom name. How do I do that for my storygame?

Names?

10 years ago

angryAlso, I can't figure out how to change the name of my variable from SCORE to HEALTH.

Names?

10 years ago

You don't change it. You just create a new one and call it Health.

I recommend you don't do customizable names until you are more comfortable with scripting.

Names?

10 years ago

We actually just had a discussion about this haha.

To put it simply, it's possible, but not easy, to have a player-choosen name, so we don't really recommend it.

If Alex ever gives us string (word) variables, player-choosen names will become very possible and quite easy in comparison to now.

Names?

10 years ago

Nice, I just asked this question. If you see the Thread below this one, it shows most of what you need to know. It's a long and complicated process though, and it really helps to know your Scripting and Variable work, although not much Scripting is used. It's mostly Variables. I'm doing this for my own game, and it's a lot easier and less time-consuming to give a list of premade names to use.

Names?

10 years ago

A lot of scripting is used to get the name to pop up as selected.

Names?

10 years ago

Read this ---> http://chooseyourstory.com/forums/advanced-editor-forum/message/9205

But yes, you can do that, but right now, the easiest thing it to not have any variable names at all. Following that, it's fairly easy to set up a few Names for Players to choose from, and then finally, the hardest is to allow names to be entered in.

Names?

10 years ago

Thanks, y'all! Scripting confuses me, I'll stick with variables.