Non-threaded

Forums » Newbie Central » Read Thread

Introduce yourself and get to know the community.

Hello Everyone.

9 years ago

Hello everyone,

I have always loved the idea of interactive stories and found the some I played so far quite fun. I want to start with making a storygame as well. Is there any good tips to start me on my way? 

Hello Everyone.

9 years ago

First of all, Welcome to CYS!

As far as tips go, I'd recommend Kiel's articles for writing and then browse the others in Help & Info for scripting and everything else.  If you need help with anything, just ask.  Most members are eager to help wherever and whenever they can.

Hello Everyone.

9 years ago

Cool. Thank you!

Hello Everyone.

9 years ago

Hello, welcome.

Hello Everyone.

9 years ago

Hello, nice to meet you!

Hello Everyone.

9 years ago

'ello. ^-^ Welcome.

Tips? Well, focus on details, dialog, and sentence structure.

It turns a simple scene with nothing special about it, and some rather repetitive parts like this:

Kell runs to his mom and asks her over and over again to give him the small present she held. Mother laughs and chides him while setting it on the table. He reaches out for it, saying "Pees!" instead of 'please', but he cannot quite reach it. She corrects him. He looks at his mother, and grunts, expecting her to move it closer. She does so while smiling.

Once it was in reach, he grabs it and starts tearing at the paper. She scolds him jokingly and tells him to slow down or he would risk breaking it. He complies, and even though he could see the figure, it was strange to him. He asks Mother what it is, and she tells him that it is a horse. He asks what a horse is,and she says that they were in many places and that she'd have to show him one sometime. He asked how big the horses were, thinking they could not be any bigger than himself, but she said that they were taller than she was and that she would ride them.

Into this:

Shrieking with joy, Kell ran up to his mother who was holding a small lumpy object wrapped in colorful paper. He lifted his tiny hands, opening and closing them rapidly, repeating the same phrase over and over again.

"Give it to me! Give it to me momma!"

Laughing, mother put it down on the table and recited an old rhyme, "Give me give me never gets, don't you know your manners yet? Now, what's the magic word?"

"Pees!" Kell answered, already scrambling up on a chair to get at the object.

"Don't you mean Please?" 

Kell gave her a momentary embarrassed look before reaching out for the object again. He couldn't quite reach it. Hurumphing, he looked at mother for help.

She smiled and pushed it towards him. 

He grabbed it and started tearing at the paper. A sliver of brown showed. Excited, he tore at the paper faster. two slim leg-like-things with many joints and a strange black disk where a foot was supposed to be was visible now, along with this long tuff of hair that hung down. What is this thing?

"Be careful with it Kell, you don't want it to break before you fully open it."

Sparing her only a glance, he slowed down a bit. A white spot appeared on the side of the little figure, along with another leg. Each leg had that weird black disk on the bottom instead of a foot. What were those things?

Finally, he uncovered what appeared to be the head, but it had pointy ears on the top of its head, and a long nose-like-thing that had the mouth on it, and the eyes were black. Another tuff of hair hung down what seemed to be the neck. What could this thing be? It looked so strange.

"Momma, what is it? It's looks funny." he gave the figure a puzzled look before turning towards mother.

"It's a figure of a horse."

"What's a horse?" he asked, giving mother a confused look.

"A horse is a creature that can be found in many places. I'll have to show you one some time."

Kell fell silent after that, imagining how big a horse would be in real life. He figured it could be no bigger then himself. 

"How big were these horses momma?" he asked for conformation of his guess.

She put her hand up a little above her head. "About this high. They were very fun to ride when I was a kid."

Wide eyed, Kell stared at his mother in amazement and disbelief. Surely they couldn't be that big. Could they? And she would ride them? They must have been really strong creatures.

They are the same scene, but it's a different way of telling it. The three things I mentioned above make all the difference.

Hello Everyone.

9 years ago

Thank you for the tip and taking the time to write it. I will definitely keep this in my thoughts while I write.

Hello Everyone.

9 years ago

It's the Anti-Cool.

@cool74

Hello Everyone.

9 years ago

Yup lol. It's one of my favorite catchphrases from Souleater.

Hello Everyone.

9 years ago

If you're a chick...

*unzips*

If you're a dude... Well, welcome to the site!

Hello Everyone.

9 years ago

Don't start lezzing out on me.

Hello Everyone.

9 years ago

Can't tell if you're joking or serious... If it's the latter, I'm a dude.

Hello Everyone.

9 years ago

Well my good sir, you may put away your willy for I am dude aswell, well unless you're into that I have friend you could meet. Lol.

Hello Everyone.

9 years ago

He's BRITISH! :D

Well I'll just let ya know, I'm not into that shit, so you're good. Well, unless it involves _________.

Hello Everyone.

9 years ago

I'm actually from Ohio. I just keep bursting your bubbles don't I? Lol

Hello Everyone.

9 years ago

If you mean information bubbles, yes. I didn't think Americans used the term "willy" XD well it's more civil than me, that's for damn sure!

Hello Everyone.

9 years ago

Old 'Muricans do.

Hello Everyone.

9 years ago

I'm there's apes more civil than the both of us. lol

Willy should be in everyone's vocabulary. It's a damn fun word. Here I'll reword my sentence and make it more American. Put yer damn willy away' Ain't no one wanna see that. 

I nominate the word willy to be in everyone's stories and games.

Hello Everyone.

9 years ago

I thought it was more like :

"Lennie, put'ch yer DAMN WILLEE BACK THE HELL INSIDE!  Ain't a broad that want none o' that!"

Hello Everyone.

9 years ago

*Standing Ovation* That was truly beautiful.

Hello Everyone.

9 years ago

"Old 'Muricans do."

My grandpa's advice from when I was about four still resonates with me.  He said "Keep your knife in your pocket, boy."

Hello Everyone.

9 years ago

It's also a (nick)name, and it's also in a movie title :P it's a word you don't hear often, however when used correctly, it can be goddamn hilarious. Especially if the person is Scottish XD 

Hello Everyone.

9 years ago

i have a cousin named Willy. could you resort to the term bender instead.

Hello Everyone.

9 years ago

Hm... Maybe Wing Wong? Bender is not too fun of a word.

I like it how the conversation ended up like this. Lol

Hello Everyone.

9 years ago

"Don't be silly, wrap your willy!"

Hello Everyone.

9 years ago

Welcome!

As for tips to get started: make sure you are truely happy with your work before hitting publish, then accept the feedback openly.

This sounds simple, but by this I don't mean "Yay I wrote something with links, awesome!". I mean make sure you are confident that when others read it they wont immediately tear your spelling, grammar and story length apart. Sadly happens to a lot of first attempts here. My personal rule is I think "If this wasn't mine and I clicked on it after reading one of my favorite games, what would I say about it?". follow that rule and you wont fall into the common pitfall of having your first story derided due to easily fixable things.

The easiest things to fix in any story are spelling, grammar and length (Be it length of writing on each page, or length of overall story). Don't worry if your spelling and grammar sucks because mine is HORRIBLE when I type quickly, my games are riddled with mistakes when I type them, I just force myself to edit them as best as I can and publish only when I am happy or finally give up on finding the last mistakes.

Goodluck!

-Forge

Hello Everyone.

9 years ago

Thank you for the advice. I'll make sure to take my time with it. Yeah I'm new to storygames all together last thing I want to do is confuse my plot points and screw it up rushing through.