Non-threaded

Forums » Newbie Central » Read Thread

Introduce yourself and get to know the community.

Hello I'm new!

6 years ago

Hello everyone, my name is George and I literally just found this place.

I read a few CYOA books as a kid but not many as I grew older. I've spent the last ten or so years of my life writing in a literate style of role play which I really enjoy and hope to infuse in my own work, if and when I get down to it.

Any pointers or tips from anybody at all will be greatly appreciated.

Hello I'm new!

6 years ago
Hi George, welcome to the site!

Hello I'm new!

6 years ago
Hi, and welcome!

Since you have that whole literacy thing down already, you get the Advanced Level tips such as, pick a genre and read/review a couple of the top rated games to get a sense for what's possible with the editor and the quality level you'll want to aim for (or just to enjoy some good stories).

Some experience writing/structuring regular stories is good to have, since CYOAs are like those plus alternate universes and steroids. If you're diving into your own project I'd advise starting small, and with a clear idea of what the plots of the main paths will be, since that sort of thing can quickly start to sprawl and get away from you.

You can hit up the Writing Workshop for more specific feedback and advice, and you should browse the articles on scripting in the Help section. Even if you don't intend to have a heavy reliance on scripting in your game, an understanding of the basics can help a LOT with organization and otherwise simplifying and streamlining certain things.

Hello I'm new!

6 years ago

Welcome, George.

Hello I'm new!

6 years ago

Welcome to CYStia. Just a tip, but you shouldn't put your actual face as your profile picture. 

Hello I'm new!

6 years ago
No one really cares except when they're of the pedo-bait age.

Hello I'm new!

6 years ago

Yeah but still. These children need to know that they shouldn't put their face where everyone can see it, and surely not their real name as well. 

Hello I'm new!

6 years ago
Puh-lese.

Hello I'm new!

6 years ago
Dini, we know you're in the Girl Scouts. We can also see you're working on a Pokemon quiz. That puts a hard limit on how old you can be and so please leave the use of phrases such as 'these children' to the adults.

I think most would agree that when these children say such things, it causes spontaneous eye rolling and that can be dangerous for a number of reasons. (Perhaps at least consider a trigger warning?)

Hello I'm new!

6 years ago

Welcome aboard, George. 

You should be fine if you make sure to read mizal's post carefully. 

If you do plan on sharing your work on here, then my rather generic advice for you is making sure that you're receptive and open to criticism if you should receive it.  

Hello I'm new!

6 years ago
Interesting, interesting.