Non-threaded

Forums » Newbie Central » Read Thread

Introduce yourself and get to know the community.

Searching Tags

5 years ago

Hello! Can somebody tell me how to search stories by tags? My kid is loving this site and I want to search for stories by tag. I've searched the forums and seen related threads that were closed as part of a site clean out I think, but I can't see how to search the stories.

Thanks!

Searching Tags

5 years ago
There is no way to search by tags. They're mostly useless. Alexp was working on a new layout where you'd be able to do that, but that was a long time ago and it's unlikely he'll ever come back to finish it. There is a search feature, but you're better off just using a search engine, it's less buggy. If you're looking for anything specific, just ask and we'll try to help.

Searching Tags

5 years ago

Got it - thanks for the quick response! I am mostly looking for kids' stories and found a few links in the forum threads:

http://chooseyourstory.com/story/imagination

http://chooseyourstory.com/story/esl-hello,-everyone~21

http://chooseyourstory.com/story/esl-billy's-adventure

And we are looking for more. Thanks again!

Searching Tags

5 years ago
I know a few off the top of my head. They'd probably be rated PG in case you're wondering. For stories:

Silver Horn, Silver Hooves
Solstice
The Duet

For games:
Cows vs Aliens! (card mechanics are based off of poker though. idk if that'd bother you)
8 Goals and 28 Rolls

Searching Tags

5 years ago
Alright then, have some more. All of these have a low maturity rating. It's a pity we can't sort by maturity or that it isn't at least displayed on the storygame list.

• The Butter Bear was just published yesterday, so it would be great if you could rate it and maybe leave a comment.
  • Silver Horn, Silver Hooves, because who doesn't love unicorns? Love Is For The Birds or Stack The Cats by the same author might also be fine.
  • The Firebird is also alright. Iirc it's pretty linear though, and not much different from the folk tale, so you might as well search for the original instead.
  • Adventures With Raven is one I haven't played yet, so I can't tell you much about it, but it seems to be ok.
  • Inepta Academy has some nice puzzles, although they're not very hard.
  • Solstice has a maturity rating of 4, but I don't remember anything that isn't safe for young children. It's been a while since I read it though, you could give it a quick check just in case. The Duet is probably also fine.
  • A UFO At School is a fun short story. The Adventures of Rory Thorn in Math Class by the same author should also be fine.
  • The Adventures of Phoebe McGee has plenty of places to explore and secrets to find, and should keep your kid busy for a while. The other two stories by the same author are also good.
Alright, that should be enough for a while. There're probably some I missed, but most of them are probably of low quality anyway. When your son has read all of these, the best places to look for more are Edutainment, School-Based and Mystery / Puzzle. Enjoy!

Searching Tags

5 years ago
http://chooseyourstory.com/story/the-butter-bear Brand new kid's game here. And the CYS extension made by Brad without help from Ford may or may not let you search by tags, I can't remember, but if you're using Chrome it will at least make the site a lot prettier. http://chooseyourstory.com/forums/the-lounge/message/23011

What age range are we dealing with?

Searching Tags

5 years ago
Just confirmed, it does use tags.

Searching Tags

5 years ago

Thanks so much to all of you for the great information! I am happy to say we read the Butter Bear story yesterday and my son loved it - that was the story that got him most excited to hear more stories from this site and he asked me to help him go through every path. Truth be told, we both enjoyed it a lot. smiley I will rate it as requested too.

I am back here tonight because he just asked me to read more of these stories. He wrote a choose your own story on paper a while back and asked if we could post it here, so I am reading posts in Help/Info as well as the forums to figure out how to help him do it.

Thanks again to everybody! The stories have been great and the community response even better - what could anybody else ask for?

Searching Tags

5 years ago
I am really glad to hear of your son's excitement! I hope you and he find more fun stories to read and discover.

However, I am going to caution you on posting a child-written story here on the site. This is the Internet, and there's not really a filter on it. No matter how excellent the story will be, it is going to receive some bad feedback and comments on the story. You'll get some brutally honest feedback. Some people who write reviews here expect really good stories, and they're going to really leave serious comments on the story. No, they won't be filled with swears or anything like that, but you are going to get comments that will likely hurt his feelings. If he's not ready for that, I'm not sure I'd let him write a story here unless you work very carefully to shield the comments from him! If you're going to put it up so that he can read it and that's it, you might be fine, though!

Searching Tags

5 years ago
>No, they won't be filled with swears or anything like that

Lol, can't really guarantee that...

Searching Tags

5 years ago

They could put the story on sneak peak so it doesn't pop up in the reading list I suppose to avoid any potential comments.

EDIT: Nevermind, you said it before I did.

Searching Tags

5 years ago
Everything Ogre said, but keep in mind that when you create a new story it automatically starts off with the 'sneak peek' option set.
This lets you share the URL with friends or family to read or comment on without actually publishing it and opening it up to public feedback.

Usually this is what's recommended for younger kids or school projects and the like.

Searching Tags

5 years ago

These are great tips - thank you. I am sure he would have been bummed out if strangers dumped on the story he's so happy with. Sneak peek it is - thanks again!