Non-threaded

Forums » Newbie Central » Read Thread

Introduce yourself and get to know the community.

Hello there!

5 years ago

My name's axtoro66, you guys can call me ax for short. I like writing science fiction and fantasy, which includes the occasional fanfic about the Star Wars prequels or Marvel Cinematic Universe. Before I get writing, do any of you have any tips on how to navigate the site, how to write well, etc? Thanks.

Hello there!

5 years ago
Hi short ax. Welcome to the site.

My advice is to read a few stories and read the Help & Info section, there's a bit of useful information there.

Hello there!

5 years ago
GENERAL KENOBI.

Someone had to do it, sorry.

For the writing bit, you should probably try to do a small game and learn by messing around (just don't publish it before playtesting) and post any questions that you can't find in Help & Info on the Newbie Central.

Hello there!

5 years ago

I said "hello there" and then included that bit about the prequels specifically so that someone would respond that. You are a smart(and bold) one.

Hello there!

5 years ago
As a prequel memer, KOTOR fan and eternal Disney hater, it's my duty to respond references to Obi-Wan.
I'm just a man trying to make my way in the galaxy.

Hello there!

5 years ago
We already have an Ax, even though she doesn't post nearly often enough.

As far as the site goes, I'd suggest you play around with things and at least skim through the articles in Help & Info. If you get stumped by something ask either here in Newbie Central or in the Advanced Editor forum depending on the problem you're having.

Besides reading a lot, writing well takes time and a willingness to listen to criticism. Even if you don't like the attitude with which it's presented, most comments and opinions can tell you how and where you can improve. Read the Top Rated Storygames to get a feel for what the readers want and expect.

And finally, welcome!

Hello there!

5 years ago

General Kenobi. 

Hello! If you want tips on how to navigate the site I would suggest looking over the Help & Info tab, it helped be when I first joined the site. On the subject of writing well, you should probably start small and work your way up. You'll learn as you go.

Hello there!

5 years ago

welcome to CYS

Hello there!

5 years ago

Hello and welcome. My advice is to read a wide variety of storgames on the site to get a general idea as to what's possible. If you do write your own storygame, it's always best to start with the Classic Editor-- you'll have enough balls to juggle without having to worry about all the settings in the Advanced Editor. As to how to write well, I suggest you get a copy of the St. Martin's Handbook. That'll be a convenient reference on things like punctuation and paragraphs. If you'd rather use an online source,  there are plenty of those on the internet and useful articles on this site. Just take your time when you write. This site has been around for a while and there are stories here that were published over a decade ago. There's no point in just banging out a quickie since it'll be taken off the site if it's badly-written. Good luck and have fun!

Hello there!

5 years ago
Welcome to the site! For site navigation I'd say read the "Help and Info" section and stay far far away from the Lounge if you plan on ever getting any writing done. There are plenty of articles to help out with writing as well. If you want someone to look over your stuff, feel free to ask for a beta reader in the Writing Workshop or just post some stuff there for reviewing.

Hello there!

5 years ago
Psst... you still here?