Non-threaded

Forums » Newbie Central » Read Thread

Introduce yourself and get to know the community.

Hello everyone!

5 years ago

Hi!

I wanted to say hello (for the third time now) to everybody here. I am so, so very excited to be joining this forum to write my first story that will be read by an audience.

This is kinda stressful, and it might be a lot of work that I don't know if I'm going to be able to put in, but I thought it would be worth the try to better my writing skills and meet some nice people.

There was an option, when writing, that let me make my story public on my profile. So if you wanna take a sneak peek, if you can, and tell me whether it's too cliché (it's gonna be very heavily inspired by things such as the Hunger Games (yes, I know)) or if it's just not worth continuing, in which case I'd rethink it or make something completely different.

Either way, that was kind of a long intro, just to say I'm happy to be here.

Thanks!

Hello everyone!

5 years ago
Hi.

Don't worry about fan-fiction, or even just basing a story on a similar story, that actually happens all the time. Enjoy writing your story for what it is.

Hello everyone!

5 years ago

Thanks for the reply! 

smiley

Hello everyone!

5 years ago
Welcome to the site!

I just took a quick glance at your first page but I don't think you have anything to worry about. Really, being literate and having some kind of coherent plot (and proofreading!) is all you need to do pretty well as far as ratings, other than that just have fun. CYOAs can be a lot of work so the most important thing in actually finishing one is making sure it's something you enjoy writing about and will be motivated to finish.

I usually do recommend taking some time to read and review a few stories though, pick a couple of featured stories off the main list and a couple of brand new ones for a range of ideas about what's possible and what readers do (and don't) like to see.

Hello everyone!

5 years ago

Very useful!

Thanks for the reply :) 

I'll definitely read some of the site's most famous and newest stories.

Hello everyone!

5 years ago

Greetings and welcome to you! Be sure to take your time with your storygame. I took around 6 months to write mine-- although that had to do more with technological limitations than anything else. Anyway, there's nothing wrong with letting the story simmer in your brain and develop to something rich. Your storygame idea seems interesting. Are you going to explain the system (systems?) of magic the characters use? It's probably best to establish some hard and fast ground rules to how magic works in your world. You don't have to spell them out, but it they'll become apparent to the reader if you stay consistent. Also, try to put in a lot of details about how magic has changed society, but present them in the context of the story so you don't slow down narrative flow. Also be sure to show how the characters have been affected by this major change in the world. Unless you want your storygame to have all the whistles and bells of an old-school dungeon crawl where you can gain or lose items and hit points, you probably want to make it easy on yourself and use the Classic Editor Mode. Advanced Editor is a lot more complicated. Have fun and good luck to you!

Hello everyone!

5 years ago

Thank you!

I've definitely given a lot of thought into the particulars of the world's context, but you're very right in that there can never be too much preparing for a story. I'll give much consideration to your advice! 

(By the way, thank you so much for the Editor Mode recommendation.)

Hello everyone!

5 years ago

You're welcome. Good luck!

Hello everyone!

5 years ago
Just saw this and I'm actually going to have to disagree with Thomas here. Classic Mode was disabled by default for a reason. You don't have to do anything fancy with Advanced Mode but it gives you options that may simplify a lot of things down the road.

For the same reason I'd recommend taking a little while to at least skim the articles on variables etc. and play around with them a bit. The system is a simple one you can use as much or little as you like, but you're eventually likely to encounter a situation where a simple script or variable check will save you loads of tedium and time. If you're working on a larger story the Advanced Editor makes it much easier to organize things as well.

Hello everyone!

5 years ago

That's interesting, Mizal; I always had trouble with the Advanced Editor. That's why I switched to the Classic Editor early on when I was writing my story. Otherwise, I don't think I would have been able to finish it.

Hello everyone!

5 years ago
What kind of issues was it giving you?

Hello everyone!

5 years ago
I agree with Miz on this one. I've been doing a lot of scripting in my most recent project and slowly getting the hang of CYS language. It does make a lot of things easier. Even simple script and variable usage can save you a ton of time and copy-pasting (a big issue with my first storygame). I'd recommend sticking to the advanced editor.

Hello everyone!

5 years ago

Hey! We're happy to have you here ( I think) and don t stress over stuff you enjoy,you clearly don't mind writing long intros , so the beginnings must be even better!

Hello everyone!

5 years ago
What happened to the last two hellos?

Hello everyone!

5 years ago
Whst do you mean?

Hello everyone!

5 years ago
"I wanted to say hello (for the third time now) to everybody here."