Non-threaded

Forums » Reading Corner » Read Thread

Dust off a seat and discuss a good book here...you do read, right?

Night Shift *shudder*

9 years ago

So I'm a couple stories into Night Shift, and I'm bizarrely disturbed. I'm not sure why, but that story where the main character is writing to his cousin is fucked up. It's even worse because of the creeping sense of dread that King is so masterful at developing. THe true masterstroke of terror, is the fact that he gets people. The reactions seem... real, somehow. 

Anyways, NIght Shift is a collection of Stephen King's early short-stories. Read it. 

Night Shift *shudder*

9 years ago

F*ck yeah.

My wife and I do a lot of driving trips, and we always listen to SK books in the car.  Short story collections are the best. 

Crouch End, 1408, The Road Virus Heads North, N. - all have that inexorable dread.  The first two are also lovecraftian, like Jerusalem's Lot. 

All That You Love Will Be Carried Away- not frightening at all, but memorable.

Night Shift *shudder*

9 years ago

Yeah, old school Stephen King is excellent. Disturbing. Great character development to this day, but just repetitive.

Night Shift *shudder*

9 years ago

Stephen King is fantastic, check out his book The Long Walk under his pseudonym Richard Bachman.

Night Shift *shudder*

9 years ago

Totally. Lots of great Bachmans. I just finished reading Dr. Sleep, the sequel to the Shining, and while it's decent, it's nothing special. He even mentions in the afterword that he can't compete with the Shining, Pet Sematary, and It because then he was young and an alcoholic, and now he's old and jaded. Well, he doesn't say that, exactly, but the message comes through loud and clear.

Night Shift *shudder*

9 years ago

Yes. I remember reading that one as a kid :) The Boogeyman one was epic.

Try Misery. It's still my favorite one.