Non-threaded

Forums » Reading Corner » Read Thread

Dust off a seat and discuss a good book here...you do read, right?

Ready Player One

6 years ago

I'm gonna be real. This is a fucking terrible book. The main character is a total Mary Sue, and the fact that he can beat a multinational company with the power of 80s trivia is absurd. The evil corporation doesn't have access to fucking 80s movies? Even evil CEOs are capable of watching Mad Max. 

... And yet, I still really enjoyed this book. Something about the absurdity of this VR 80s MMO adventure was super fun to read, even if it was basically the equivalent of a harlequin romance novel with X-Wings and D&D modules. 

What did you guys think of it? 

Ready Player One

6 years ago
lol people don't post on this board, what are you doing

Ready Player One

6 years ago
there was a book? I thought the movie was some brain child of a director's kid and somehow he pitched it to producers so that they'd pay for a terrible concept.

if it's book > movie as per usual then I'd say the movie is going to end up being absolute trash judging by your description of the book. The book sounds trash as well - the movie will be double trash?

Ready Player One

6 years ago

I thought the only movie of the book'd come in 2018???

Ready Player One

6 years ago

It's not literature, but it was a fun book. I liked it. Probably going to see the movie with some friends.

Ready Player One

6 years ago
@Dawnlost Are you a real person?

(It's not like anyone was using this thread so I'm borrowing it a minute.)

Ready Player One

6 years ago

I'm guessing you're referring to her mass story rating list in one day.

Not really difficult to do with a lot of those stories since they're on the shorter side. You can usually go through a lot of those type of stories like that.

Ready Player One

6 years ago

Am I real? What is reality?

I'm just trying to get enough points to enter the contest.

Ready Player One

6 years ago
I'm sorry you had to subject yourself to that, you actually would have been allowed to enter anyway and just go in the hole with your points. Also just an FYI, you get three points each for creating your first three stories. Not that it looks like you need them now.

Anyway, good luck!

Ready Player One

6 years ago
Yeah I clicked the name because it looked vaguely cat-like, then was wondering how a newbie had gotten 120 points on their first day. That's some impressive dedication to speed clicking through shitty stories.

Ready Player One

6 years ago

This is probably the worst way to introduce myself, but I personally really liked Ready Player One. Poor idea, great execution, if that makes any sense. The ending, however, was about as abrupt and poetic as a seven-year-old's original One Direction fanfiction.