Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Star Wars thread for normal people

7 years ago
The other one turned toxic pretty much immediately, so just putting this here for people who'd like to chat about Rogue One/the other movies/the Star Wars universe in general without having to maneuver around shouty assholes.

Guidelines for the thread: Please play nice. I realize everyone has strong emotions about the stars and their whores, but it'd be great if we could talk about any points brought up without insulting each other directly, and if we could share our One True Opinion without also make sweeping declarations about the intelligence, moral fibre, or worth as a human being of anyone in disagreement.

I realize none of this is enforceable, so all I can say is if you see someone being a cock, please ignore them. If you feel triggered, step away from the keyboard and take your dog for a walk. For once, let's have a nice thing.

Oh, and the thread will obviously contain massive Rogue One spoilers, so if you haven't seen it yet, go away.

7 years ago
Okay, so to start this off. Hi my name is Mizal and I'm...not really all that into Star Wars, actually. I admire the OT for what it achieved, though it was never a pivotal part of my life or anything. So it's easy to point out that things like the moral simplicity and campiness don't always sit right with modern audiences, and there are major plotholes as well but, it always feels petty to nitpick the OT. It was a different time and they were absolutely revolutionary, with so much iconic about them people still can't get over it all to this day.

Anyway, beyond the OT, my Star Wars experience was always been one of disappointment. I attempted to get engaged with the EU since my cousin was so into it, but to me at the time it all seemed really bloated and convoluted and obsessed with giving every alien glimpsed for half a second in the cantina or whatever some absolutely pivotol role and intersection with the main characters. Also I was just for the most part not impressed with the overall writing quality. (Feel free to make some recommendations here if you consider any of these dead tree fanfics an absolute must read.)

I felt the prequels were dull, disappointing slogs (though I'm trying to work up the energy to see them again, and with an open mind, since there's apparently all this subtext, and that's what these quality movies are really about if you just like, expand your mind, maaaan). Force Awakens was similarly a disappointment, though much more bearable than the prequels. It had some fun moments and held together as a reasonably entertaining sci-fi action flick. (As long as you make a point not to ever think about the superweapon.) I honestly, don't think I could manage to outline for you what the plot of the prequels even was right off the top of my head at this point, so even with the massive flaws, FA gets points for being more memorable and concise in its storytelling.

Rogue One I went into pretty much completely blind. All I knew for certain was that it was about new characters, happened right before the OT, and nerds were really excited about it. But it's definitely now my iconic 'Star Wars experience'. Like, I finally get why people are so into this series. It's just a fun universe to explore. There are some weaknesses (Forest Whitaker was wasted, and the two main characters were the least interesting in the entire movie by a long shot, to start with) but the overwhelming majority of things just struck the right chord with me.

I waited for my second viewing to say all this for sure, because second viewings are generally what decides a movie for me. Once the brain isn't engaged in 'but what happens NEXT?' mode, the flaws become more visible and harder to ignore, amd the nuances and depth really start to shine through.

This was definitely a case of the latter for me, and I'll definitely be viewing Rogue One a few more times in the near future. An amazing amount of detail and love has gone into the world building, and some things I had questions or issues with were cleared up once I could spend a little more time digesting what was going. There really is a lot packed into this movie.

As far as characters, it's an ensemble piece with none of them meant to be show stealers--in universe, they are literally nobodies that nobody remembers once the OT events get rolling--but Bodhi still remains my favorite. He had more of an obvious arc than the others, and had to be the most traditionally 'heroic'. The actor did a phenomenal job as well, there's a lot going on just with facial expressions and the like. Jyn is still the weak point, though I'm more satisfied with her motivation now than I was after seeing it the first time. (Though I'll be really glad when Hollywood stops considering 'She's a woman...but she kicks ass!' to be a character trait. The bit with the hologram is really the only scene she had that I was able to connect to emotionally.)

Too tired tonight to get into a long analysis, so I'll just say as far as recent similar sci-fi actions films go, I'd put it above the Star Trek movies, but below Guardians of the Galaxy. Comparing it just to Star Wars movies, the bar is set pretty low, so I'd say it's up there in the top three.

And I mentioned it in the other thread, but this is the rare movie where I can't wait to get ahold of the behind the scenes bonus material and commentary and etc. A lot of editing and rewriting went on, and I'm really curious as to some of the rumors I've read about what was changed. And just in general the 'making of' process had to be an interesting one, remembering again that this is a Disney movie of all things, I'm pretty astonished at what they got away with.

7 years ago

Are you seriously trying to tell us that this is neither the best nor the worst film of all time?

7 years ago

Everyone knows the best film of all time is The Room and the worst film of all time is The Room.

7 years ago

I'd put it above the Star Trek movies, but below Guardians of the Galaxy.

Not exactly a ringing endorsement for Rogue One considering most Star Trek movies suck and Guardians of the Galaxy was overrated trash. (And I actually did see all of those)

As Axiom says: "I'm sorry about your inferior taste in movies."

7 years ago
Rogue One was a good movie. I liked the end climax, hated all the rebels, hated all the fanservice being shoveled down my throat, Jyn wasn't very likable, Darth Vader felt awkward, CGI Tarkin was probably the best CGI I've ever seen but it was still CGI - they got the voice perfect though, I hated the plot holes, especially the pilot and communications tower at the end, and I hated how the bad guy in the white was shot by stupid rebel dude and not Jyn (or not having Jyn get shot).

I hated how many unecessary people were in it and how much of the movie was completely confusing or unecessary. The writing was bad the script was bad I hope the people who made it feel bad the music was meh at best but the battle scenes and Darth Vader at the end really brought it home to make it a good movie overall.

This quality is fine with me, I understand there will be good and bad star wars movies - Rogue one was in the middle. I'd rather watch it several times over than watch any of the prequel movies once.

I like star wars. I have a star wars lanyard that I wear everyday and I love it. I've read some star wars books and I love the movie and the star wars universe lots and lots. Star wars is definitely top 3 favorite of mine in terms of story entertainment. I'll always like star wars and while I'm not a massive nerd about it and it doesn't consume my life, Rogue One was a good movie. If they released a movie like Rogue One (equal in quality) every two years I'd go watch it and think they were good movies. Force Awakens was a great movie - really hit it home for me.

I like star wars, as I've mentioned before, but I don't like people nitpicking and being douches to others because they don't have the same opinion of it all.

6/8. I'd watch it if it happened to be conveniently on TV.

7 years ago

Best Star Wars movie since The Empire Strikes Back.

Only thing I wish they had changed is, instead of being killed by explosions (as most of them did), having them be killed directly by Vader at the end. Would have made it way more impactful.

7 years ago

Here, these are the real answers that normal people want to know about Star Wars:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hLo7iEkVZw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oDP9nmKk-c

7 years ago

Alright, I finally saw the movie, now Mizal can stop bitching about my movie viewing habits. Which I didn't even spoil myself on that much anyway, save for the ending (Which I was misinformed on anyway) and Vader's scene. And I certainly wasn't really bothering to read (let alone retaining) any of the story shit that you all were bitching at each other about in Steve's thread and was most mostly just laughing at you guys calling each other names.

Anyway, it was better than I thought. The characters were pretty basic, I didn't really care about any of them, but I didn't really hate any of them that much either. They pretty much served their purpose.

However, I thought the worst character in the movie was the one everyone seems to be raving over and that's the blind Asian dude. Too much of a fucking cliche stock character. I could accept the others since they at least made sense within the plot.

That guy was basically just there because some idiot thought it would be "cool" to have a blind "sensei" which he didn't even qualify for that. He was a wannabe which made him even worse. They could have gotten rid of that character and my enjoyment of the movie probably would have increased by 10-20%. (His gatling laser buddy okay though.)

I mostly liked all the killing.

So yeah, better than Force Awakens and the prequels, but that’s not saying much and it's probably because they all died in the end.

7 years ago

See, it's only a movie watching habit if you watch the movie. Watching clips on youtube isn't anything.