Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Dear White People

7 years ago

This isn't actually me writing a message to white people in letter format. It's about the movie. A lot of people have been talking about it and getting outraged, so I actually took the time to watch it, and honestly I can't tell what I'm supposed to think at the end of it. I can't tell whether they were supposed to have both sides make good points, but honestly I ended up supporting the white frat house that threw the black-face themed party.

The black house just seemed to constantly bitch and whine about nonexistent racism, and the frats actually made good points about how attempts to counter racism hurt white people and left them forgotten. Then there was also a gay guy who kissed some dude during a fight to piss him off, which seems like something we should hate him for because it's sexual assault, but I think he was meant to be good, so whatever. Honestly, I find the entire idea of "black culture" or having to say the n-word instead of nigger in context or worst of all "Reverse-racism" or just black people not being racist ridiculous.

Anyhow, now a bunch of people are cancelling their Netflix accounts because of it, so I thought it'd be interesting to see if any of you have seen it and if so what your opinions were on it or better yet the messages about racism in general that it talks about.

Dear White People

7 years ago

Are people just now getting around to watching it? I mean it has the dude from Everyone Hates Chris so im kinda surprised. 

The female lead in that movie that was on and off again with her nerdy sex buddy was a total bitch and her excuses for how things worked was annoying as hell. I mean i get where they were coming from and was glad they went to that black-face party to do what they did considering her group was some black panther shit. I liked how they were fighting the inner system of racism that was going in that college but the people fighting it went about it the wrong way.

I would have actually preferred if they focused more on the web show girl and the afro kid instead of fuck buddy girl.

It's a really good movie though, deserves a re-watch every now and then.

Dear White People

7 years ago

I only saw the trailer to it and I think that was a year ago.

It looked like the millennial version of "Do the Right Thing" and since I saw that already I didn't feel the need to see this one.

Dear White People

7 years ago

I thought it was okay, but I am not sure if it's something that I would watch for a second viewing. 

Dear White People

7 years ago

Apparently, it was just supposed to be a funny look at how race is treated, but extremists were triggered, so now everyone's screaming and Trump is somehow involved.