Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Memories Of Dreaming

6 years ago

Since I currently have access to a computer at my grandfather's house, I figured I'd visit the forums to talk about this: When it comes to waking up from a dream, I often find that the details I wish to remember the most, are the ones that fade away the quickest. Every once in a while, they do stick.

For me, these details often happen to surround the women in my dreams & the figures in my nightmares/night-terrors.

For Example:

• One of last night's dreams was of a high school (View High School if memory serves me right) in the fictional (so far as I know) town of D. Roosevelt, Kansas. There was a girl there named Shelby with blonde curly hair that fell to her shoulders. We were in some sort of giant pool with everyone else in the middle of the school grounds (giant pool...?) I remember having to use the restroom and when I left it to go find Shelby, I noticed that the entire school population had got on buses and were leaving. At the same time, another group was replacing them. After that I remember getting lost trying to find my way out of the school. After I found my way out, the last thing I remember is walking down a small town road towards the setting sun (so cliche...). With my voice narrating: "Me and Shelby stayed connected (mentally) for several days."
  • As for my typical nightmares & night-terrors, they usually entail myself abandoned or alone in a heavily haunted area, with a shadowy figure coming after me (though when I was little it was someone in a scream costume.)

So my question is, what typically stands out to you in your dreams?

Memories Of Dreaming

6 years ago

Small details, usually, but if something happens in my dream about a specific person that makes me have a certain feeling I almost always remember it. For example, I was talking to this girl at the time, and it was this strange dream of homeless people living in my backyard, and they threw a party, and the girl I was talking to was suddenly hooking up with tons of other guys. I don't remember much else, but I remembered that feeling of that girl hooking up with other people, which allowed me to remember that.

I also remember this one dream about a vacation resort. I went there with my family, and I tied myself up to this giant glass... thing? And suddenly, the biggest tsunami wave I've ever seen washed over me (and everybody else), and it was the most fun i've had in a dream. It kept happening, over and over, and when it was over I was quite sad. I guess the fun feeling make me remember that one.

So, I guess feelings make me remember.

Memories Of Dreaming

6 years ago

I'd say feeling probably does play a big part in mine. Especially seeing as when it's stuff I want to remember.

P.S. never had a Tsunami in my dream. But, I've had plenty of planes bombing me.

Memories Of Dreaming

6 years ago

Usually I remember the whole dream or none of it at all. Though, when I do wake up with fragments, I'm usually able to salvage what happened back to almost the whole thing by remembering images/gifs of events and concepts in the dream.

Memories Of Dreaming

6 years ago
I write down any dreams that I find interesting, which apparently helps you to remember more, because they're sometimes useful for ideas for stories. Also, I'd really like to lucid dream but kind of cba to do the whole reality checking stuff.

Things that I notice are my own thoughts: sometimes I consider the consequences of doing something or I'll weigh up two options, which is weird seeing as most of the time I just do stuff without questioning why the hell there's a load of super fast, unkillable zombies following etc.

Also, the scenery changes place a lot- I tend to walk through doors or passageways from half remembered buildings and end up in forests or stuff like that. I was climbing through some sort of maintenance shaft once and ended up in a map from Perfect Dark.

Memories Of Dreaming

6 years ago

Something that irritates me about changing scenery, is that it usually happens when I'm unaware of it. Like if I reopen a door and stuff like that. I find myself typically freaking out and trying to find the people I was just with.

Memories Of Dreaming

6 years ago

I also have the wake up with fragments that fade away, However I have a couple of recurring dreams that I remember every detail of. Sometimes if a dream leaves enough of an impact I can still recall fragments of what happened.

Memories Of Dreaming

6 years ago

I also either remember a dream or I don't at all. Sometimes I'll start with a fragment, but once I focus on it, I'm able to backtrack what happened before and remember what came after.

I don't really remember positive dreams unless they are exceedingly bizarre beyond the realm of believability. Like the time I dreamt that holding milk gave me reality altering powers. Most of what I remember are nightmares that are so close to reality, I wake up and still panic. When I was in college, I would frequently get nightmares of projects or exams being due days sooner than they actually were and I'd freak out because I hadn't prepared at all. Just enough grounding in reality to make them believable. I hate my brain sometimes.