Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Incompetence

6 years ago

The computers were getting old and slow, so I asked for new ones. Even gave specifics as to what type of computers the class would need, the price for it in bulk, etc.

They got Macs...which actually cost more than the ones I wanted (also they had a discount when bought in bulk), has less memory space: 16 GB is the limit of this mac..my phone has more space, and makes me have to rework part of the lesson due to the fact that these have different commands for certain things.

*sigh* I specifically said "no apple products". They had one job. 

Also, the projector still has not been fixed :^)

Incompetence

6 years ago

I feel your pain. They probably got it as a donation or got some sort of special deal. Or maybe they just ignored your requests because they don't know anything about anything and assume a computer is a computer. When I was in high school, our digital imaging lab was filled with old pcs barely functioning on Windows 98. I ended up being tech support for the entire class. When the school finally updated the macs to the ones the teacher requested, their IT apparently couldn't be arsed to do anything except connect them. So the teacher ended up giving me admin level access to test the computers and continue proper tech support.

Good luck, I hope you can make do with what you have now. 

On a side note, 16 GB? Did they have to go back in time to buy these computers?

Incompetence

6 years ago

I'm fairly sure they just felt computers are just computers.

However, when it's a class that revolves heavily around computers, it'd be a very good idea to give the teacher exactly the sort of computer they ask for...

Well, at the very least they have very big screens. On the other hand, for some reason Firefox and Chrome are not useable and the computers get overheated *very* quickly. You can hear the sound of the computer trying to cooldown the overheated motherboard about 20minutes into the class -.-

And I bet. The computers are honestly, quite trash. 

Incompetence

6 years ago

They don't even *make* hard drives with 16 GB any more around here. Most USB flash drives have between 16 and 32 GB of data. Your school likely bought some hand me down computers, probably from another school that actually upgraded their systems.

Incompetence

6 years ago

Haha. I know. It's ridiculous...

Even my phone has around 256GB.

Incompetence

6 years ago

... I didn't even know you were a teacher, Professor Seto.