Non-threaded

Forums » The Parlor Room » Read Thread

Questions about a storygame? Thoughts on Eternal? Any other IF you're playing out there?

The Other World: Going down fighting?

9 years ago

The fighting system of The Other World is hardly perfect, as it was a big experiment, caused me some huge headaches when scripted, and I had to cut a lot of ideas for time's sake. I intend to improve it asap, but it will simply have to wait. That said, if you're having trouble with fights in T.O.W, here are my tips, from smallest to biggest:

1: Karma's a bitch. You can be a jerk in this game, but it'll probably hurt you.  

2: If you don't want to fight, DON'T! Not every option leads to fighting. Two of the guards can be taken out by stone-throwing while behind them and one of them is severely weakened by it.

3: There is an alternate weapon you can get. It's called the "dragon sickle." You obtain it by choosing to pocket some grain, giving it away to the sick slave, using the cloth he gives you to swaddle the dead baby, laying the toy horse on Hiru's grave as an offering, and then throwing the necklace at the vile-kin guard. Though do, infact, pick up the stones. After that, go into the alleyway to receive your reward.

4: Look at the oven in your house. Eating and drinking restores health. Now you know. Also, the water-skin can be filled up on your journey, so ... really. Get it. >_>

5: If you're having just way too much trouble with the 'wandering' fights? They happen by chance. Yes, random encounters, just like final fantasy, or pokemon, exc. You're essentially rolling a die every time you walk forward. Out of healing items and low on health? Cheat. Go back two screens and try your luck again.

9 years ago

Option 3 is news to me but I went along with all the rest, especially Option 5 as I seemed to have consistently awful luck :)

9 years ago

Speaking of The Other World, on your profile it still says that The Other World is a very active project, but it's already published.

Just wanted to point that out.

EDIT: Now I feel like an idiot because it's unfinished, which is most likely why it still says very active project.

9 years ago

Yes, that would be the reason. :P