Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

"From The Seas We Rose" Progress

7 years ago

I will be sporadically posting here some excerpts from my storygame in the works, "From The Seas We Rose". For starters, it is a Game of Thrones Fan Fiction, based on the universe created by George R.R Martin. My stroygame tells the tale of a small, fictional noble house of the Riverlands, House Purell through the eyes of Josephine Rivers, the tomboyish bastard daughter of lady Nerissa Purell and an unknown father. It will stay almost entirely true to canon while also adapting some events to include House Purell and other fictional houses and characters I have created for this story. Well, without further delay, here is the first page of From The Seas We Rose! (I had to read it up many times and remove large chunks of text which made it much, much longer, but please do tell me if you believe something here is unnecessary and basically any criticism and suggestions you may have. Be blunt; I'm not easily offended)

Chapter 1: What Is Dead Is Already Dead

You awaken to the sounds of war drums echoing their militaristic tunes all across your tent. Elyssa's naked body is still intertwined with yours and you can feel the warmth of her body against yours. You don't want to get up. You'd like to spend the rest of the day here with her, savoring every moment of her presence. The touch of her fingers. The softness of her snowy white skin and the delicious smell of her brown hair. You know you can't though. Your father has marched a great deal of House Purell's men here, to the port city of Saltcrest to help defend it and fortunately or unfortunately you are in charge of a great part of that force as his offspring. Cursing under your breath, you slowly shuffle away from Elyssa's embrace and sit on the edge of the bed. While you are gathering your thoughts, you hear someone entering the tent and a familiar voice soon follows.

"My Lady, sorry to disturb you but your father has called for... Oh! I... I am quite sorry! I thought you were alone. I didn't..."

"It's quite alright Andere. And I've told you countless times, I'm not your Lady. I'm not even a Purell."                                          

"My lady, I'm so sorry. I... I should leave."

"Why? Am I that bad looking without my clothes on?" you chuckle.

"Of... Of course not my Lady! I simply meant that... By the Gods, I'm making a fool out myself!"

You can't help but laugh. "That you are."

Andere is supposed to be your handmaiden, though considering your duties, she serves a role more like that of a squire. You were actually surprised when your family assigned you one, considering your un-ladyness and particularly your upbringing wasn't that of a Purell, but of a Rivers; a bastard. Still, you have established a very good relationship with her and she probably appreciates being in your service, unconventional as it may be as opposed to serving some stuck up highborn lady. That said, Andere is looking even more red than her own hair and is muttering almost incomprehensibly, stumbling over her own words at the awkwardness of walking into you nude and sharing your bed with another woman, no less. Predictably, the whole situation is amusing and hilarious to you but still, you figure you should try calming her down so she can help you get ready for today's events.

"Look, it’s just me and another girl without clothes. How many times haven't you've seen me like this, anyway?"

"It's not you, my Lady, it's..."

"Her?" you interrupt. "She's not even awake! And for fuck's sake, I'm not your lady. Though I definitely wouldn't mind being your lady for a while." you wink at her. 

Your comment makes her smile and she turns a different shade of red, but to her credit she quickly composes herself. You take note of her smile and make a mental note to discuss it further later, but for now you have to get ready right now if your father is already calling for you. It is not the best of ideas to keep him waiting.

"Look, let's just pretend this is an everyday morning and help me get ready, alright?"

She sighs "Alright my la... Josephine." She says with a smile.

You smile back and she immediately begins the process of dressing you up. She starts with padded overalls and trousers and quickly moves on to the armored plates. They are relatively light compared to the heavy armor the mounted knights of the Vale wear and they barely restrict your movement. You fight amongst the men on the ground, after all. Your family was always weary of your growing interest in the use of swords and the stories of great battles, which Maester Harrold was always happy to share with you. Despite your mother and sister attempting to mold you into the perfect lady, in the end they simply gave up, coming to the conclusion that as a bastard you probably would never be married off to some lordling, and thus it meant little if you refused to learn the "arts" of being a Lady.

Your father and older brother began teaching you and you actually became quite good at it, to the point that you were allowed to ride alongside them whenever the Tullys rallied their bannermen or whenever your lands and allies needed defending, like they do today. Still, leading men wasn't easy for you at the beginning. Most of the men initially didn't respect you due to you being both a bastard and especially a woman. You had to bash more than one skull in and smack down more than one insubordinate soldier, but after a couple of skirmishes and brawls, the men came to acknowledge you as their leader, and even to respect you eventually. In fact, you being a bastard and not really a highborn probably helped in the end since they saw you as "one of their own". 

You are so caught in your thoughts you don't even realize that Andere has all but finished putting your armor on. Finally, she throws the traditional garment of every Purell over your shoulder; a small cape made of the hides of many sharks all sewn together, perfectly representing both the Purell sigil, a grey shark over a black and blue background and also the ancient tradition of shark hunting which has been carried out by your house since its inception. Clad in your House's colors, you grab your longsword from its resting place and make your way out of the tent.

Outside the drums continue to sound and the entire war camp is in constant movement as men run around grabbing their weapons and some of them mounting their horses. Right across from yours is the War Tent, were your father and his closest allies and advisors are no doubt conferring and discussing the plans for today. To your left, you can see Saltcrest, the seat of House Bryant although it isn't looking too well. Many houses and ships are on fire and several ironborn ships now rest at its ports. 

The ironborn have been a constant pain in your House's ass for centuries due to your very close proximity to Ironman's Bay and their idiotic idea that everything outside of their islands is theirs for the taking. Some could say that your Houses are at war, though there's never been an official declaration and both your family and the Greyjoys of the Iron Islands know that neither have enough men and resources to lead a full scale invasion into the other's lands, so the ironborn instead raid the smaller towns in the coast under your rule and sometimes engage your small fleet in sea-based skirmishes, from which they always come out victorious due to both their superior ships and sailing abilities. Thankfully, ironborn raids are often short lived due to the small numbers of men in their raiding parties and the superior equipment and discipline of the Rivermen.

Slicking your dirty blonde hair back, you enter the war tent quietly in an attempt not to disturb your father's profanity-ridden rant which if you didn't know any better, you'd swear even the ironborn outside could hear. Actually, as a matter of fact, he's ranting about you.

"- and where in Seven Hells is my daughter?! Fucking around with some tavern wench, no doubt, when I need her HERE!"

"Close. Stone mason's daughter." you say with a grin as you join the men discussing around the table. Your comment causes a fair amount of laughs among the men and a knowing smile from Dan, your eldest brother. However Eddard, your younger one, isn't as amused and gives you a disapproving stare. Your own father sighs and finally continues.

"Well, now that "lady" Rivers is here, we can finally get on with this."

7 years ago

I think the Big Man in the Train Hat would love this.

I'm sure he loved the fic I sent him where the White Walkers were all dinosaurs whose victims also rose from the dead and turned into dinosaurs.

Nothing fills George with more joy, heartwarmth, and schoolgirl-like giddiness than sitting back and reading the works of his beloved fans.

On another note, with "From The Seas We Rose" and the first chapter's name being a few words short of the classic quote*, you'd just as well make house Purell secretly half-bred descendants of the Deep Ones. I mean, there's no rabid fanbase here, and if you're paying your respects to GRRM you already lost him at "Fan Fiction". No need to stick rigidly to the lore. Pick a point in the series you'd like to be at, branch off from there, and throw in The Mythos for Outer Gods' sake! I wanna see some medieval badasses investigating fish monsters and icebergs from the rusted copper realms beyond infinity!

*Well, I guess "What is dead can't die" is an easier conclusion to reach at that point rather than "That is not dead which can eternal lie, etc." but the point still stands. I mean, the two phrases mean practically the same shit. The Iron folk at least have to be Cthulhu worshippers! You have no idea how dissappointed I was when it turned out that "The Drowned God" was a fucking tree, and his story was that he was basically Viking Christ. I mean, awesome as that is, it's not Cthulhu.

7 years ago

Lol, while I'm sure that would be fun I wanted to explore an alternate take than what we see in GRRMs novels or the TV series, on how a minor house almost unimportant on the scheme of things would be affected by the events that have shaped Westeros (War of the 5 Kings, Red Wedding, Battle of the Bastards, etc.) but now that you mention it, one of my original ideas was to expand on the houses and characters we are introduced to in canon. Believe it or not, one of these expansions was on the Drowned God, the ironborn's deity since I always like to think of it as a Cthulhu/Kraken thing which ancient ironborn discovered when it began laying waste to their ships and towns and then began to worship him, thus leading to their unnatural obsession with water and raiding and stuff. May go ahead with such ideas now :)

From The Seas We Rose are the Purell words, based on the ancient myth that their ancestors walked out of the seas and settled on Ironman's Bay.

7 years ago

Pff, if your origin story is humanoids walking out of the sea to live like people, your bloodline is based on freaky-deeky Innsmouth fish sex. Those are the rules of Fantasyland! No denying it! Dagon waits in the blood of the Purells, and the pressures of distant wars will allow at least one unfortunate soul to uncover the truth!

7 years ago

Hey, I've never said no to ideas. ;)

7 years ago

Even if you're not going in that direction, just know that the option is there.

Beckoning you from the darkest corners.

Calling your name in languages beyond human understanding.

Slapping its tentacles around and leaving stains on the wall of your house.

7 years ago

You've been blessed with salt,  steel, stone and an awesome voice. Great stuff. 

7 years ago

Thanks! As it stands, would you say the first page succeeded in drawing your attention and getting you interested in reading the rest of the story?

7 years ago

For me, the first page was definitely very interesting. When your story comes out, I'd like to give it a read.

7 years ago

Thanks man!

7 years ago

Already at 6 pages, but decided to go back and change some stuff, mainly regarding the origins of the protagonist. This, in turn, changes some fairly minor stuff such as the age difference between her and her half-siblings (before, Dan was described as the oldest. Now, he is one year younger than Josephine) and little esle. I also added a new, "optional" choice at the beginning which leads into a page with additional info about the characters, hosues and such that the player will be dealing with at this stage. It IS intended to be an info dump, but please let me know if I overdid it and basically any comments you may have. Here:

The War Council (Additional Info)

Before you and all standing around an improvised table made using a large log is your father's War Council, a collection of powerful and influential lords, knights, commanders and allies that over the years have earned your father's trust, gratitude, or at least haven't managed to completely piss him off. Most of them are vassals of House Purell such as the Bryants and the Hardwoods, though others are equal allies of your family, either through ancient treaty or through marriage as is the case of House Spearbright, the maiden house of your mother, now Nerissa Purell.

At the head of the Council is Lord Garret Purell of Highrise, head of House Purell and the man you call father even if he really isn't. Even now you don't know the full story, but apparently, when your mother was promised to him, she had already given birth to a child from a man who forced himself on her which through intelligence, wit and the right friendships she managed to keep hidden for a couple months. Fearing the dishonor such an act would bring her and her family she begged to her new husband to claim the infant girl was his own, conceived before their union was made official. This would not remove your bastard status as you were conceived outside of marriage, but it would split the blame evenly between both families, thus ensuring that neither would decide to call off the marriage. Your father must have really loved his bride, because not only did he promise to do so, he also swore that he would love you as if you were his own even if you did not share his blood. And now, almost twenty years later, he hasn't gone back on his promise.

At either sides of your father stand your brothers, Dan and Eddard, named after your father's friend and Warden of the North, Eddard Stark, with whom he fought during King Robert's rebellion against the Targaryen rule. Dan is the oldest of the Purell children and only one year younger than yourself, making him heir of Highrise and future head of House Purell. He is everything a lord would want as his heir; tall, handsome, charismatic, fearsome in battle, wise when making decisions and utterly devoted to his family. You and Dan have always been close and he probably sees you as another brother and treats you as such, as opposed to the attentions and cares he gives to your younger sister Nadria, for example. His strong relationship with you is only strengthened by the strained relationship you both have with your younger brother. Eddard, or Ned as he is often called is quite the contrary of Dan; He is reckless, rebellious, disappointing with both blade and bow and worst of all, he is always trying to "prove" himself which generally involves a lot of unpleasantness, particularly towards you. You've never quite understood why he hates you so much, but he does despite the fact that you've been nothing but loyal and helpful to him. One particular memory you always remember pretty much sums him up; You chased away some kids who gave him a hard time because of his small frame and never received a thank you. Instead, some days later he showed up with the same kids and tried to turn their aggressions towards you. The kids, of course, didn't respect him at all and simply went back to insulting him, prompting you to rescue him again without receiving one word of gratitude once more. One would think your father would have intervened on such issues, but he has always firmly believed that his children should fight and win their own battles.

Outside of his own children, the man your father trusts the most is probably Ser Ronwald Foster, Master at Arms of Highrise and a respected knight sworn to the Purells. A commoner, he was a childhood friend of your father and fought alongside him during Robert's Rebellion valiantly, to the point where the small numbers of Purell cavalry that he adeptly commanded came to be feared by the Targaryen soldiers. Due to his exemplary service, he was knighted by your grandfather, Casemir Purell who was lord of Highrise at the time. Shortly after the war was won and Robert Baratheon crowned King, Casemir died of Greyscale and the lordship fell to your father, to whom Ronwald wasted no time in swearing fealty to. Since then, he has been your father's advisor, confidant, and close friend to the point that your father has stated than in the unlikely yet very possible tragedy that none of his heirs would be available to receive his lordship when he passed away, Ser Ronwald would be his choice of heir. When you first began showing an interest for the arts of warfare, Ser Ronwald was all for teaching you and he was much of the reason your family finally allowed you to learn how to fight. There is no man more loyal to the Purells than him.

Next to him is Ronwald's son, James. A formidable fighter in his own right, he has always been a close friend of yours and of Dan, and is one of the few people who are cordial towards Ned. Appointed as Captain of the Guards by your father, he has always served your house loyally and has always been extremely devoted to you. In truth, he has harbored feelings for you, and even if you can't return them, you have always called him your closest friend.

Nearest to you is Lord Desmond Bryant. The Bryants are loyal vassals of your house and have been so for centuries since Lord Lars Bryant bent the knee to your grandfather's grandfather. They seat on the walled town of Saltcrest, and used to command a fairly good sized fleet of ships until two days ago, when it was all but destroyed by the ironborn that now lay siege to their home. Lord Desmond was known as a fierce fighter back in his day, but old age has caught up to him and he now commands his small forces from safety. You have often heard your father praise his honor and wisdom, though you know the man very little.

Next to him is Lord Silas "Tree Bark" Hardwood. Living up to both his nickname and his family's name, he has a reputation for being tough as wood and having sustained injuries that would have killed lesser men. None of these have held him back, though, and he leads his men from the front like every Lord Hardwood has done before him. In fact, for Hardwoods, a man who is still of proper age and doesn't fight among his men or at least is present to lead them from behind is considered a coward and dishonorable. The Hardwoods were ancient enemies of the Purells, and a long, bloody war was fought between your houses for some reason no one even remembers anymore, shortly before the crowning of the Mad King. A young Casemir Purell valiantly led the Purell men to victory, defeating the Hardwoods who, respecting honor and strength above all, were gracious in their defeat and bent the knee to your grandfather, becoming the most recent of your vassals. They respect your father since he used to lead his men from the front, like them, and understand that he can no longer do so because of his injuries. The same is true for Lord Desmond. The Tree Bark has a special admiration for both you and Dan, and has already sworn that when Dan becomes lord, he would follow him down through the Seven Hells and back. He, however, hasn't a shred of respect for Ned, whom he has openly called a coward for refusing to keep on learning how to fight and hiding behind his men despite being in his prime. Despite your brother's complaints, your father has always told him that if he is unwilling to fight, he must deal with the consequences that brings, the Tree Bark's disrespect included. 

Your mother's twin brother, Lord Francis Spearbright stands with his eldest son and heir, Jowell. The late Lord Howard, your mother's father, was always cold towards you and rarely spoke to your mother after she gave birth to you. However, he was killed when defending his lands from ironborn, and thus his sons and grandsons bear a deeper hatred for them than any other house in the Riverlands. Fortunately, both Lord Francis and Jowell have always been friendly towards you, and Francis is extremely close to his twin sister, and thus to your House as a whole.

Also present is Lord Jaan Rüdiger, head of the feared Rüdigers and vassal to your house. The Rüdigers swore fealty to your house in order to drive out the invading Hardwoods, who also bent the knee to your house later. Jaan is a fearsome, calculating man who commands the hardened, ruthless Rüdiger troops, the only ones not to fall to the violent Hardwood expansion, a testament to their strength. As a side effect of said events, the Rüdigers have a very shaky relationship with the Hardwoods, although both Jaan and the Tree Bark at least respect each other. This ancient feud can sometimes turn simple word exchanges into messy altercations, though thankfully it's been a while since Rüdiger and Hardwood forces have come to blows with each other.

Last but not least, are the Buckshorns, the Purell's oldest allies led by the young but intelligent Lord Ebbert Buckshorn. Ebbert is only a kid, but is already shaping up to be a fine lord. His mother, Jemima Buckshorn, rules as Lady Regent until he comes of age, though for these kind of situations, the young lord's cousin Dylan Buckshorn represents his kin and leads the Buckshorn men into battle. With the pass of the centuries, the exact terms and circumstances of the original pact of friendship between your houses have been lost to time, yet it is commonly known that your houses banded together to defeat a common enemy, remaining close allies ever since.

Each Lord brings with him some trusted advisors who you don't know, and don't really want to know. What you know of each of these men you learned more out of necessity than curiosity. Still, your father always told you that after a sharp blade always came the sharpness of the mind, though you still don't know how storing all this stuff in your brain helps you fight or such.

Maybe you'll find out some day.