Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

Scripting: more work, or less?

6 years ago

I'm putting this question out here to anybody that has experience with small scripting and variables vs. the classic editor.

To make a coherent, long, arching story, would it simply be easier to use variables to remember choices, or would it be easier to just use the classic editor? The advanced editor has me worried simply because of the permanent nature of it. Thanks for anybody that answers!

6 years ago
Advanced Editor is better, even if you don't use any of the features.

6 years ago

Thanks Berka!

6 years ago

FFS don't use the classic editor. Even if you aren't scripting you're at a disadvantage. The classic editor is for 70 y/os whose first time on the internet  who couldn't intuit the most basic structure of their story without being made to manually click through their story every time. I swear, take the advanced option. Items, basic variable use, dice, and score are the most easily understandable things in the known world and being able to sort through your pages in a list hub/edit more than one at once for reference is a fucking godsend. Don't shit yourself, it's not gonna break anything, you're not gonna lose anything, there won't be anything more than miracles happening: just make the switch and thank me later.

6 years ago

Well awesome sauce, I'll switch it over. Thanks for replying.

6 years ago
I thought that message that made the Advanced Editor sound like some terrifying and sinister AI boogeyman was removed? Advanced is just the default now.

There's no reason not to use it and just access to better organization and the $DEST script alone makes it worthwhile even if you use nothing else.

Anyway good choice, now turn off RTS while you're at it and you'll have completed the task of pulling on your big boy pants today.