Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

December Contest - Puzzle, Mystery, or Riddle Game

6 years ago

I thought of just writing "It's a mystery storygame, so I'm not going to reveal anything," but that would get old quick, especially if I have to say the same thing every single time I update.

I actually entered the contest to force myself to finish a mystery storygame I'd already started a while ago. It's going to be a pretty long game, so I'd better start now. 

The story centers on exploration of a dark cyber-universe that was hastily designed as an escape from vital functions that were draining the world's resources. Depending on what pathway you choose for him, the main character will explore various parts of this nightmarish techno-underworld. However, his main goal is escape. 

As it stands, the storygame does not seem much like a mystery to begin with, but as the multiple storylines develop, the waters get murkier: something's not right. At the start, the story is more closely related to the 'puzzle' part of the prompt I chose because it's all about finding out how to escape in various situations (It's titled "Escape Key").

This week, I plan on doing some more brainstorming on how to fix/continue what I've written so far.

For now, here's a sample from the end of the first page:

Earth. Sounds nice, doesn't it? Reminds you of perhaps too much sunlight soaking your skin like a faucet, of rough clay in between your fingers, of actually waking up from your dreams. People don't dream much anymore. We live in a neverending dream, beyond the sun. As sparse, grayish wraiths glide past me in the flickering light of the escalator, I know one thing that kindles deep within my essence, branded there like the light that entered my eyes from that star but would never leave.

I want out.

6 years ago
The concept sounds really cool, good luck with it and I hope you have the time to do it justice.

You mentioned you'd already started it though, is this something you've already done a lot of writing on? There is that 'no recycled stories' rule to think about, even if I'm not sure how strict it is.

6 years ago

Considering the fact that I've never used/published the story, I don't think finishing it counts as re-using it. I would estimate that I'm not even halfway done. 

Thanks!

6 years ago
Dark, sci-fi, mystery? What could go wrong? :)

Good luck with it!

6 years ago
Damn, you're good at writing puzzles. I've done everything to find the hidden progress updates from less than 9 days ago. I even checked the point history of random people, but still nothing. Any hints? :)