Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

RPG-Like Storygames

3 years ago

What's the general consensus about storygames that heavily incorporate RPG-systems around here? Where the storygame is more game than story?

RPG-Like Storygames

3 years ago
That they're too much effort for most authors to bother with. BerkaZerka is really the only one who makes anything like that.

I've always thought some kind of resource management game might be fun, but the problem with anything combat focused is that there's really only so thrilling you can make clicking a link unless it's got some great writing attached. Making numbers go up or down in itself can't carry a game.

RPG-Like Storygames

3 years ago

Ah, I see. That makes sense, as I doubt anyone would like to spam click "attack" fifty times in a row. Now, specific systems aside, would it be offputting if a game had no major overarching storyline, but instead relied on the player creating his own story using the game systems provided?

For example, I was thinking about making a game where the player starts off as a random noble and let loose in a big fantasy world. Their actions could be as ambitious as conquesting for emperorship, or as little as living their days as a nameless farmer. Would that be a worthwhile investment to make such a storygame, or would I be better off with focusing on a deeper, more rigid storyline?

RPG-Like Storygames

3 years ago

Frankly, it would be offputting. There's already a tremendous volume of games with RPG mechanics that don't have great plots, but also come with graphics and audio, which you'd have to beat in order to make the game anything more than a weak simulation of a pokemon or FF game. There's also no support for it in CYS by default, so you'd be stuck making all the combat logic yourself. That's not to say it can't be done; games like Dungeon Stompage! have succeeded pretty well on the site. That game still has some semblance of a plot, though, and many RPGs fall into the trap of handing you a character without a compelling story, using graphics/audio to try and compensate.

Still, investing the same attention to a story alone would make a far more appealing game and give you more time to expand or refine it. It'll be easier to engage with readers since your particular diction and narrative style will naturally make your game feel different. I would opt to at least try a good storygame here first even if you want to make an RPG. What you learn can be applied from the gitgo in future storygames so you don't get stuck reworking a mediocre plot while mired in RPG technicals at the same time.

RPG-Like Storygames

3 years ago

This is really good advice. I have yet to ever have complete a story, and this is a pretty good reminder to me to start small.

RPG-Like Storygames

3 years ago
Certain mediums are better for certain types of storytelling. One could realize something like the original Bard's Tale game in CYS, but why would one go to this length when there are platforms like say RPG maker that are geared toward this type of expereince. CYS works well for heavily story-focused content.

RPG-Like Storygames

3 years ago
"Making numbers go up or down in itself can't carry a game."

Paradox games say hi.