Non-threaded

Forums » Bugs & Problems » Read Thread

Post reports about problems or bugs in here.
This bug was closed 2/23/2008: workaround found?

Advanced Editor Bug

17 years ago

Don't know where this belongs- feel free to move it

It used to be, when I was writing in the advanced editor, if I created a new page or opened an existing page from the list, a new window would open.  I could work on the page, then save and close, and still have my original window open to choose another page to work on.   Now,  the page I'm working on takes my current browser window, meaning that in order to save my work, I have to hit the "close and save changes" button, which closes the only open window to CYS that I have, which means I have to re-log on to the site for every page I write.

Does anyone else have this problem?  How do you get around it?

Advanced Editor Bug

17 years ago

ill keep this in the lounge for now. atleast until someone else can support this bug. at which point ill move it to the bugs section. ill check out my games and see if this happens to me too.

nate

Advanced Editor Bug

17 years ago

this isnt happening to me. have you changed browsers? upgraded protection software? etc.?

nate

Advanced Editor Bug

17 years ago
I don't think so.  I'm using IE. 

Advanced Editor Bug

17 years ago

hmmm, well like i said, i will keep this up so that others can see it and see what they say. but ill warn you, someone may move this to bugs section before i do lol.

nate

Advanced Editor Bug

17 years ago

I dont have it

Lets move it to B&P to get alex's attention for you.

Chcek all your pop up blockers and stuff

Advanced Editor Bug

17 years ago

This has happened to me once before, and from what I can remember, it is in fact a pop-up blocker thing.

Unfortunatley, I don't remember how to reproduce it ... but I'm almost certain that was it. Are you sureyou disabled IE's pop-up blocker and any toolbars or programs that might block popups?

Advanced Editor Bug

17 years ago

Pop-up blocker is definitely disabled, security is set to accept all cookies and treat CYS as a trusted site.  No other anit-viral software is running.

This used to happen before, but I could get around it by opening a lot of browser windows.  Eventually, after I had about 6 or 7 windows open but minimized, it would start opening a new window instead of replacing the current one.

Advanced Editor Bug

17 years ago
update:  I'm able to get around it again-- right now I have five windows open, all logged on to CYS.

Advanced Editor Bug

17 years ago

have you tried logging on to Myadventuregame.com and trying that? just a thought. not sure if there is any logic behind trying it, but who knows. lol

nate

Advanced Editor Bug

17 years ago
Yeah, actually, I tried that, too.  Same thing happens.  Good idea, though.

Advanced Editor Bug

17 years ago
Well, it's happening again . . . I have all the security turned off, five windows open- all logged onto cys, and yet the new window of the advanced editor is replacing the current window instead of creating its own.

Advanced Editor Bug

16 years ago

I actually had found a way to fix this bug-- Using Ctrl+N to open a new window meant that, from the new window, I could select pages to edit, and the window for page editing would pop-up instead of replacing the current window I had open.

Suddenly, as of about 11:00 am EST, the new window that pops up remains completely blank.  If I use my original primary window, the one I pressed Ctrl+N from in the beginning, attempting to open a page edit window results in the page editor replacing the current page (list of pages in the story)  which means that once I finish editing, closing the window takes me off the site and offline.

From the secondary window,  the new one that appears when I press Ctrl+N, I can't read published stories or edit pages.  The tertiary window that pops up remains completely blank inside.  Even if I return to the primary window, as long as the secondary window remains open, I can't read published stories.  All popup windows stay blank.

I have no virus protection at all, and no firewall up.

Oh yeah, still Internet Explorer.

Advanced Editor Bug

16 years ago

all right- after an hour and a half, it's working for now. . .

must write quickly. . .

Advanced Editor Bug

16 years ago

I've had those problems before. You need to log out, empty your internet history/cookies etc, close internet explorer completely, then start it up again and try. If that doesn't get rid of blank windows, you need a computer reboot. Try those two things a few times, and it should start working again fine. There's no reason to turn off the internet pop-up blocker or your firewall. You should be able to have both running, and still use this website, just set them to ignore pages from this web site, rather than disabling them completely.

For example, if you are using internet explorer's pop up blocker, bring up the menu for it, and select "always allow pop-ups from..." and add this web site to the list, then it will block other pop-ups from outside of the site, but allow them on this web site. Turning off your firewall completely is usually not a good idea in this day of a billion viruses and hacking attempts. I've had many firewall settings, using both Windows Firewall, and at the moment with Norton's Firewall, and also I've used Trend Micro, and none of them affected ChooseYourStory in any way whatsoever.