Non-threaded

Forums » Creative Corner » Read Thread

Take part in collaborative works, share your short stories, poems, original artwork and more.

A Few Preliminary Sketches For My Story

6 years ago

Need to get round to painting them, but here are some sketches done in ink (the pretentious way of saying 'I scribbled them in a biro that cost 5p') for my story 'The Swashbuckling Adventures of Abacondrian Crumb', though the title is subject to change every 4-5 days. 

6 years ago
Pretty decent illustrations!

6 years ago
Thank you! All I need now is something other than a potato to take photos of them.

6 years ago

That's pretty good. I am impressed.

6 years ago
Ty G. Will probably take me another couple of years to write, draw, paint, and script the rest.

6 years ago
Those are pretty good!

Axiom was supposed to make title art for one of my stories a couple of weeks ago but then she wove an elaborate web of lies about her mom being in the hospital or something so she wouldn't have to.

6 years ago

Well, now that the operation is finished you're supposed to say her dad.

6 years ago

Thanks! I don't think I've seen Axiom about. What kind of despicable person puts their own mother over making art for someone over the Internet? Lamest excuse I've ever heard...

6 years ago
How many illustrations are you planning for the story?

6 years ago

Double half as many.

I'm not sure to be honest. Maybe 100-150 if I can draw that many in one or two years, though I might only paint the main ones because it takes ages and I have to go over them in pen again to hide my filthy lack of skill with watercolour. Edit: I'm trying to write 1-3 thousands words a day as well though so I'll see. I might upload some from here time to time if people are interested. 

6 years ago
Damn, that sounds like a major commitment. Hope you have better luck with your epic than most of us do.

6 years ago

Progress.

6 years ago
The colored version improves it a lot, wow.

So what would it take to make you the site's art bitch? (Or just mine is fine too.)

6 years ago

Any measly form of appreciation I severely lacked growing up would be great.
(Once I'm finished with this project, which I've become obsessed with and so may take less time than expected, I'd be happy to make art for people or the site if they want)

EDIT: I will also accept a fee of $0.50 or more. Drop it off at the usual spot.

6 years ago
How are you at drawing people?

6 years ago
I'm okay. It depends what medium you'd want them in. I'd be good with pencil, biro (with watercolour or without), and acrylic. I despise using just watercolours on their own, have never tried oil, and I'm pretty poor with pastels and oil pastels. Anything else I'm probably bad at.

More Pictures For My Story

6 years ago
I'm late for Inktober, which I hadn't even heard of until that post about it, but trying to bash out one a day. Some more progress:

More Pictures For My Story

6 years ago

Damn! These are really good! Your line work is amazing. I almost like the black and white ones more because you can really see all the lines going every which way. That's just a matter of preference, though. 

Progress on Projects

6 years ago
Since motivation threads seem to be all the rage these days, I'm going to be a sheep and make this my own. I'll still post drawings every now and then, but right now I'm focusing on writing.

Still trying to get Frameshift out of the way, except actually making progress now. Still some major bugs, a few typos (pretty sure there's a way to kill the main antagonist twice), but I'll get around to it. Original plan was to have four outcomes for each fight- one with Frameshift (if you have enough of a hidden variable) and three non-power ones. Depending on other hidden variables, affected by prior choices and a little luck, player will either get a good, medium, or bad outcome to the fight. For bad outcomes, either means death or something that affects the plot later on. Will take some time and the on page variable text is mind numbing, but hopefully it will enhance the butterfly effect I was going for and make the story less linear.

Unsure how much I'll change from my recent contest entry, Robin, because evil pathway got way out of hand. Originally planned two main plots: good and evil, but who cares about being good Robin Hood anyway and I want to get back to my main story.

As for my main story, I'm going to start drawing and painting pictures for each of the items for the variable item system. There are around 25 items so far, but I estimate this will grow to around 150-200 in total. Drawing the pictures for these alone might take longer than a year. This story will take a huge amount of time.

6 years ago
Pretty slow progress at the moment. Written four outcomes to two of the main fights, can't remember how many there actually are but probably about 4 more to go. The on page variable script is starting to get insane on this thing.

Once the script comes together it'll be nice to see how this plays out (probably have to spend a while tweaking how hidden variables aggregate so people can actually get to certain options), because it will develop the butterfly effect I've been going for a lot more and give more weight to choices, as well as impacting the outcome of the story.

72 variables and 109,000 words currently.

5 years ago
Haven't really bothered with Frameshift in the past couple of months because I'm sick of it, though left off very close to finishing. I've been writing my main story a lot recently. Finished drawing and editing almost all of the item pictures and the variable item system works, which is nice. It's on 88,000 words and I still have an incredible amount to script and write. Here are a few of them anyway:

Done about 20, just gotta do about another 180 roughly.

5 years ago
Nice, though I can't tell if the bottom one is a sea turtle or a super-funky burger... ?

5 years ago
Haha it's a super funky burger. Actually, if you keep it in your inventory for long enough, it gets even funkier to the point of being corrosive. Can't really see the sea turtle!

5 years ago
The turtle's head is the pink thing that looks like a wrinkly dick except it has a little face. Gonna carry that burger around forever.

The onion and the bottle are really nice, couldn't tell they were drawings til I zoomed in.

5 years ago

This is some really good stuff! 

TSAOAC update

3 years ago
This died so long ago I forgot I killed it. I have been scripting a lot recently and have been working on a horrifically complex fishing system in a fairly niche part of my main WIP (TSAOAC). There are 5 different types of bait. Skill and luck attributes affect the likelihood of catching either: nothing, common, uncommon fish, rare, extremely rare, or unique fish. Skill takes priority over luck. This required some disgusting statistics and I compiled a table to keep track of things. Here's a portion of that table below with %chance of a catch in the respective categories on the right: So far there are about 65 different things you can catch and various perks you can get from fishing. I've just about finished the script for one of the 5 bait options and ironed out bugs, so there's still a long way to go as different baits will have unique fish of all classes and different likelihoods of each class. Tbh, I don't know why the fuck I'm putting in this much time into a fishing system that's not that easy to get to anyway, I guess I always just really like fishing systems in games like Dark Cloud.

TSAOAC update

3 years ago
I love fishing minigames, I approve this autistic sidequest you've gone on.