WatchNon-threaded

Forums » Creative Corner » Read Thread

Share your short stories, poems, collaborative works, original artwork and more.

Tribal Survival - Game Thread

one month ago
The rest of the day after everyone left the relic on the coast was spent preparing makeshift camps, and settling in for the night. In addition, your villagers managed to create a map from the location of the relic, back to where you decided to make camp. It's not much info, but its a start.

Today marks the first true day of survival. Whether the villagers decide to work together, or strike each other down one by one is up to their respective village heads, whom they determined overnight. You're not sure the names of anyone, but sure enough five people, one to represent each village, have shown up today.

The relic meanwhile, remains as silent as it was when you left it. Icarus does not appear to be making contact with you today.

@fresh_out_the_oven
@PerforatedPenguin
@Petros
@Yummyfood
@WizzyCat

--Day 1 Begins--

one month ago
Uros pulls on his chubby cheeks, grinning at the 4 others. A pair of sharp eyes hidden in his round jolly face darts from face to face.

@fresh_out_the_oven
@Petros
@Yummyfood
@WizzyCat

"You all, what are your names?"

one month ago

Jim.

Because I'm that epic.

one month ago

Pinguis Mediocris of The Sagitta Pabulum looks around suspiciously at his fellow leaders. He strokes his salt-and-pepper beard thoughtfully. He knows that in a month, anything can change. Uros seems peaceable enough, but this Jim fellow is a mystery. Mysteries are potentially hazardous in this world and should be treated with extreme caution. He decides to answer the question, though only because a name could not be used against him in the long run.

"I am Pinguis Mediocris of The Sagitta Pabulum. I hope to leave this world without bloodshed, and I hope for all our sakes that you feel the same." His chubby cheeks jiggle slightly as he speaks. He wants desperately to go back to his village but knows that intel is needed.

one month ago

Jim looks at all these chubby people in amusement. He himself is rather thin, and while he's not entirely proud of it, at least it's not a problem. He's smart enough to know that Pinguis' claims of being the peace-loving type could be entirely false, but decides to trust him... for now. 
"Personally I have no qualms with bashing you chaps heads in, except that your villagers might retaliate and there may be some point where I'd rather have you alive," he says with a cheerful smile.

one month ago
A man with a long, unwashed mane of hair interspersed with small bones and beads smiles an incredibly wide and obnoxious smile. His smile consists of six yellowed teeth that almost seem white in contrast with his skin, colored and textured like old leather.

“I’m Ashko of the O’oee people. I hope the spirits are kind to all of you.”

one month ago
After several hours, which some may say felt like days, of awkwardly staring at one another in complete silence, some of the villagers exchanged small talk to pass the time. Not much was learned on this day, but one of the five did nearly burn their eyes out by staring blankly at the sun for the entire duration without so much as a sound, so there was that.

The rest of the day is uneventful, and the night even less so.

The next morning the five appear once more. The relic today, as yesterday, is silent.

--Day 2 Begins--

one month ago

Pinguis looks at his four counterparts. The one called Jim, despite the implied threat of yesterday, has not eliminated anyone yet, so he takes that as a good sign. The other two, Uros and Ashko, didn't seem interested at all in violence, though they could just be charismatic. The silent stranger from yesterday is still an undetermined risk. He decides that he will keep attending these meetings until any aggression arose, in which case he would stay at his camp to guarantee that he isn't collateral damage.

"So..." He states somewhat awkwardly, "How did everyone's first day go?"

one month ago

"No one from my village has died, yet." Jim looks at the relic, his eyebrows furrowed. "I sure wish that thing would talk, though. What if they've forgotten us? Why do we even trust them?" He lifts his chin and makes eye contact with each leader gathered around the relic, a challenge in his eyes. "Maybe we should focus more on building some kind of society. I say we trust each other a little more, all of us. This would be easier if I knew a thing or two about where we are." After a moment, he nods to himself and begins to walk off and find a spot sitting against a tree. Before he was completely out of earshot, he said, "Come talk to me personally if you're willing to let us help each other." 

one month ago

lol moved this message down if someone could delete this.

one month ago
Ashko looks even more disheveled as he did the day before and is clearly quite tired.

“Do any of you realize how fast rabbits are? Chased them suckers all day and barely got a meal. I think I may need to rethink my strategy.”

one month ago
Uros, as jolly as ever, chuckles and snacks on a few berries. He says nothing, though he seems to be confident in his situation.

one month ago

Pingius gathers Ashko and Uros in a sort of huddle. He doesn't actually want anyone too close to him, but close enough to be heard while talking softly.

"What do you two think of Jim? He basically threatened that he would kill us if he felt like it yesterday. Now he seems to be doing some kind of kumbaya routine."

one month ago
Uros laughs lightly, and shakes his head.

"I'd bet that the man is mad, but in these times perhaps it's the madmen that can survive."

He tilts his head at the other two, round cheeks curved into a grin.

one month ago
Ashko smiles even wider, as if competing. “A little murder goes a long way in getting your way in diplomacy. Not that I approve of Jim’s approach, I just understand.”

one month ago

And with that, Pingius decides that he will probably not share his location with Ashko. Trade and such could still happen, but at an agreed point like this. He also decides to announce to everyone that H1 is coastline, just to help out a bit. He then leaves towards his villagers, making sure to take a path where people would either lose him or be spotted following him.

one month ago

you gotta be like that ):

one month ago

Just an observation and what the character would more than likely notice.

one month ago

Oh I know, I was kidding. 

But, food for thought:

Maybe Jim is lonely. Maybe poor Jim has ran into some issues already and is in a tough spot. Maybe he doesn't wanna spend all his time expanding his map and would much appreciate it if someone would provide him with help in this area and is willing to basically do anything to be interacted with because basically I'd much rather have a devious side plot going on than be a complete loner.

But yes I might kill people. But not friendly people!!!

e: I can now see how my Jim might be hard to trust. Yeah, he's crazy. But then again so am I XD. The problem here is I wish to make drama (teenage girl speaking) and the best way to do that is to have a partner in crime. So while I might be a very treacherous character who really really really wants to kidnap and possibly wound other village's villagers (it's not winning if everyone else wins too!!), I also... want... friends...

This is complicated. How to be a trustworthy bloodthirsty person...

^^see, he's even talking about himself in third person, to himself, by himself, or maybe it's to the tree

one month ago
Well, the man is mad, there's no doubt in that anymore.

one month ago

Glad that's established.

28 days ago
Conversation dies down as the group decides to head back to their homes for the night, which thankfully is uneventful.

The next morning the group arrives at the meeting zone. The relic is still silent, however there also appears to be a massive feast before them! Placed on a large stone in front of the relic, are various meats and fruits!

There seems to be exactly 500 units of food present. There's no telling who left this food, or why, but there's no one aside from the five of you around at the moment...

--Day 3 Begins--

28 days ago

Ummm what I want all the food. Since no one else is around to claim it can I just, you know, take it?

I mean what, no...

The thought briefly crosses Jim's mind but he dismisses it. Let them have their share.

27 days ago

Pingius looks suspiciously at the food before him. As much as he would like to trust this gift, it is just too odd.

27 days ago
Uros takes a large plump apple and weighs it in his hand. He sniffs it “cautiously”, and takes a large bite.

“It’s good, no poison,” he says, reaching for another.

26 days ago

"No fast acting poison, anyway..." mutters Jim, slightly upset at himself for not even considering that it could be poisoned.

26 days ago
Ashko smiles and scratches his head. “I’m sure we can all agree to divide this bounty five equal ways, right friends?”

26 days ago
Uros takes a step forward and carves out 100 units of the juiciest, largest fruits out of the pile.

"Excuse my greed," he smiles, embarrassed. "The apples are very good."

26 days ago

Jim takes his one hundred units and eyes the others warily.

26 days ago
Ashko takes 100 units, then as if he made a mistake, puts 1 back.

“A gift to the spirits never hurts,” he shrugged.

25 days ago

Pinguis looks at the guy who hasn't said anything, wondering if he will say anything or take the food, before grabbing his 100 units. He makes sure to grab anything with potentially useful bones or seeds.

25 days ago

"If the silent guy over there doesn't get his food, I say we split the last 100 units between the four of us equally."

25 days ago
“@WizzyCat ,” Uros says, “tapping shoulder of the silent stranger. “Have you any say about this decision?”

25 days ago

He's gonna go blind from staring at the sun so long.

25 days ago

"Name's Whiz, but you can call me Big," the man appears to snap out of a delirious state of daydreaming. "And I need that food, dammit!"

24 days ago

"He speaks!" Jim takes a startled step backwards. He'd almost taken for granted that "Big" was either deaf or mute or both.

24 days ago
The group, with little convincing or caution of any sort, divides the unknown food amongst themselves easily without conflict. They then head to their camps for the night.

The next morning the group arrives at the meeting zone. The one morsel of food left behind is no where to be seen, although the cause of its disappearance is unknown.

The relic, briefly, appears to make some noise to the excitement of everyone, but then promptly dies back down without any contact from Icarus.

--Day 4 Begins--

24 days ago
Uros squints at the now silent relic.

"Hello?" he calls, waving his hand around any strange bumps or holes on the device.

After waiting a few more moments for any response, he crosses his legs and sits down. Looking towards the four others, he raises an eyebrow.

"Anything fortunate happen yesterday?"

24 days ago

Pingius shrugs. "None of us are dead. That's about it."

22 days ago
The day ends without much happening, and the night is the same.

Today, the relic actually turns on. There's some static, before a familiar voice is heard.

"Hello? Is anyone there?"

It's Icarus.

"Are you alright still?"

--Day 5 Begins--

22 days ago

Jim rushes to the relic, ecstatic. "Yes! Yes, we're alright, we're here, we're alive!"

22 days ago
"Ah, that's good to hear friend!" Icarus replies, a sense of relief in his voice. "The radiation has finally died down for the moment, so I thought I might check in."

There's a slight pause until he speaks again.

"I meant to ask before, but how many of you are there?"

22 days ago

"Five of us are here currently, and we each have our own groups. I believe we all started with the same amount of people, five, but I can't guarantee that everybody else has managed to keep their villagers alive. Everyone in my village is nice and accounted for," he replies. After a moment of thought, he frowns.

"Why do you ask? Is there not enough room on your ship?" His tone grows increasingly frantic.

22 days ago
Ashko grins at the talking relic. “All survivors here too. As long as nobody died, should be twenty-five. We’ve had good luck, so far thank the spirits.”

22 days ago
"Yes, 5 of us representatives for the 20 others," Uros chimes in. "I wish for all the best, but I won't guarantee 25 when you arrive. Food's going to run a bit low soon."

22 days ago

"Yes, send more food." Jim has a slightly childish, hopeful look in his eyes. "Much food."

Side note: wait, were there implications of cannibalism in your words there Uros? HmMmMmm

22 days ago
Uros raises his hands, "you said it, not me."

"I don't think any of us will resort to cannibalism," he mutters. "If we play this out smartly, at least."

22 days ago

Pingius looks at the relic. He tries to concentrate on observing the relic and the other four leaders, but his arm is in too much pain. "Is there a chance that medication could be sent down?"

22 days ago
"Uh, no," Icarus begins, "I'm in a ship, very far away in space. I'm afraid I cannot send you anything."

There's then another brief pause.

"Twenty-five people should be... fine, probably. This is a cargo ship, so it is meant to carry a fair bit... Yes, I'm sure we can work something out when I get there. I probably can offload some of that once I reach Knossos, and as far as that goes, hmmm..." He begins to mumble, clearly referencing something that none of you can see.

22 days ago

Big, who continues to remain silent, looks nervous and tenses up when he hears the word cannibalism.

19 days ago
Icarus stays on the line a bit longer, before realizing no one has anything else to add.

"Well, I should be another 3 weeks yet, if all goes well. I might be able to cut some time with a, er, shortcut of sorts, but we'll see about that when the time comes. For now good luck to all of you! I can detect radiation approaching, so signing off. I'll be in contact when I can!"

With that, the transmission abruptly cuts off. The group decides to end in there, and head home for the night.

The next morning, they all arrive again. The relic is, unsurprisingly, not making a sound.

--Day 6 Begins--

19 days ago

"Well, at least we know that Icarus hasn't forgotten us," Jim says in an attempt to make conversation.

18 days ago
Ashko swivels his head, his matted hair swinging wildly. “I have a suggestion. To prevent possible conflict from food shortages in the future, what if we shared a fe nonviolent good solutions? I would hate for us to have to kill each other.”

18 days ago

"I have a solution: do your foraging, go fishing, hunt. Then you won't run out of food."

18 days ago
Uros pats his rather round belly and grins, "we're in this together, no?"

"You have food for us, yes?"

18 days ago

"No extra food here," Big states.

18 days ago

"Sadly I have no food to share, though I wish we were so fortunate." Pinguis says. 

18 days ago
Ashko grins extra wide at this.

“But friends, this isn’t about sharing food, I’m talking about sharing ideas to get food. That way, all of us are better off and there is no food violence. As a show of good faith, I will share a secret with all of you. Today, I am testing a fish trap made of reeds woven over a wooden frame. I will let you all know the results.”

Ashko spreads his arms wide in a magnanimous gesture.

18 days ago

"Oh. I mostly just use spears, but it's not the greatest method unless there's big game in the area. Had sheep recently."

16 days ago
After sharing some information with each other, the group heads home for the day.

The next morning, they all arrive again. The relic is quiet today, but ominously there appears to be a single piece of bread on the stone slab which previously hosted a large feast. No other changes appear to have been made to the area.

--Day 7 Begins--

15 days ago

"I don't really need a single loaf, I'm not that hard up." Jim grins with a slight pride. "What about the rest of you?"

After a second of thought, he adds, "Maybe Ashko should get it, since he left the one unit during the feast. Maybe this is his repayment."

15 days ago
Uros takes a quick glance over the slice of bread, before nodding.

"On a side note," he says, looking around furtively. "Any sightings of those strange iron men?"

15 days ago

Pinguis looks longingly at the bread. His brain and his stomach begin debating on whether morals or hunger are higher on the list of priorities right now. He ultimately decides that he is not the kind of person to be controlled by his appetite. His arm was a little better, but the new pain in his leg is about equal. He decides that he needs to distract himself.

"We have not seen any of the iron men." He states, answering the question. "I think that it won't be long before someone or something finds us though."

15 days ago
Ashko eyes the bread warily. “We haven’t seen the men either. All has been peaceful. As for the bread, if this truly is a reward from the spirits, I would certainly share it with all of you. Like some sort of ritual, I guess.”

Suddenly Ashko smiles, as if satisfied with his own explanation.

11 days ago
While the mystery bread prompts some questions, collectively nothing is done to it, and the group decides to leave it as is.

The next morning the bread remains, almost taunting them, but strangely Pinguis is absent. After waiting for a little while, it becomes apparent that they aren't showing today. The relic remains quiet.

--Day 8 Begins--

10 days ago

"Well, shall we share the bread then? Assuming nothing happened to it overnight to make it inedible."

9 days ago

"The bread is bad omen, Big Whiz will not touch," Big says resolutely.

7 days ago
"Very strange," Uros mutters. "I'm not sure about splitting this, there's something about it that unnerves me."

7 days ago
Ashko suddenly stands up, and with tears in his eyes, urinates on the bread. “Forget about the bread!” he cries in between sobs.

“Our tribe member, Nausk is missing. If you have information, I need it. If not, I should be out there looking for him, not here talking about bread!”

7 days ago

"It would seem that Pinguis is also missing. None of my tribe members have disappeared, though. Who was it who was saying something about the metal men yesterday?"

6 days ago
"It was I," Uros solemnly stands, casting a strange glance towards the soaked bread. "I had an apprehensive feeling that day, seeing that we haven't had any sightings of those ...things recently."

"I haven't heard of any sightings of this Nausk, but my tribe members are exploring the area. You'll be the first to know if we find anything," he adds, hoping to console Ashko.

5 days ago
The mysterious disappearance of Nausk and Pinguis remain unresolved as the group decides to head their separate ways for the night.

The next morning, any concerns about the state of the relic are immediately put to the side, as instead a large and seemingly crazed woman stands atop the large stone slab. She is heard far before she is seen, as she continuously screams into the device, in between loud sobs.

As you all approach, what you initially assumed to be pleas for rescue turn out to be some sort of religious praise, as the woman is treating the relic as the entry point to some sort of unknown deity.

"AND ALL OF YOU!"

She screams, as you finally approach.

"YOU FEASTED UPON THE DIVINE FEAST DID YOU NOT? IT WAS MEANT FOR THOSE IN THE GREAT BEYOND; THE VOICES THAT SPEAK TO ME THROUGH OUR GREAT CHANNEL," she proclaims, raising the relic far above herself.

"YOU HAD NO RIGHT! WHAT SAY YOU?!" She screams, pointing what appears to be a metal staff in her other hand towards the group.

Although she appears quite unkempt, you all note that she seems to be quite bulky. The relic, to your relief, does not appear to be active, so Icarus is blissfully unaware of this woman. For the moment at least.

--Day 9 Begins--

5 days ago

"I would suggest not feasting upon it," says Big Whiz.

4 days ago
Uros puts some distance between him and the old woman, before carefully saying, "I don't know what you are talking about, you old hag. What is this feast that you speak of?"

4 days ago
"LIES!" She shouts, slamming her staff against the stone slab, the sound echoing for some distance.

"THE FRUITS OF MY LABOUR AND THE MEAT FROM MY GREATEST HUNT!" She then pauses.

"YOU MUST REPAY WHAT YOU STOLE. ALL OF IT. NOT A MORSEL SHALL BE MISSED!"

4 days ago

Jim sidles closer to Uros, whispering under his breath in hopes the crazy lady won't hear. "Maybe we should just... get rid of her?"

4 days ago
Ashko smiles as he addresses the woman. “We meant no disrespect. In fact, we believed the food to be a gift from the Great Ones. I will personally restore all the food you lost. I will even give you extra if you have any information on a member of my tribe that went missing a short time ago.”

4 days ago

"By feast, I think she meant the 500 units of food. Well, 499 since you put the one back. Do you have 500 units of spare food?!"

4 days ago
Ashko turns and winks at Jim so the woman can’t see. “Not all at once. I can give one hundred and fifty now, and pay it back as quickly as I can. One can see, of course, by the shape of her beautiful skull, that this woman is intelligent and understands that the best investments have waiting periods. I desire peace above all.”

4 days ago
The woman scoffs at Ashko.

"A gift? A GIFT? WHY WOULD YOU BELIEVE YOURSELVES WORTHY OF NOTICE, LET ALONE GIFTS, FROM THOSE IN THE GREAT BEYOND?!"

She then seems to calm down briefly, and as if only now realizing she still has it, carefully places the relic back to where it was on the stone slab, then hops down in front of the group. Her arm then raises, as she points her metal staff at Ashko.

"Every day they are not praised is a day closer to the end of us all. We live by their mercy and nothing else."

She then returns the staff to her side.

"Return that which you have stolen. Take no more than two moons. Any longer, and it is you that will be given as gifts."

The woman then waits for your response.

4 days ago
Uros turns to Ashko, "Are you sure that we're going to do anything with this ...lady?"

He pauses for a moment. "But if it means that we all survive, I can chip in with a bit of excess food that I have."

4 days ago
Ashko smiles. “Do not worry. By hook or by crook, the feast will be here.”

He turns to Uros and the rest of the leaders. “I will need your help, though we can discuss the specifics after our honored guest leaves. We needn’t bore her with the details.”

3 days ago
The woman looks Ashko up and down, then scans the remaining three present. She the nods and promptly walks off towards the coast.

3 days ago
Gesturing to the others to stay silent, Uros eyes the woman suspiciously, then gingerly trails her at a distance.

3 days ago
Uros is able to trail the woman all the way to the coast, where he sees her push a canoe which had been left on the shore into the water. She then paddles away from the shore out to sea.

2 days ago

"I still think we should've done away with her," Jim says, pouting a little as he watches her leave.

yesterday

Whiz grunts affirmingly.

14 hours ago
The woman gone, the rest of the group is unable to decide if they want to simply end her, or actually make an attempt to come up with the massive amount of food that she's demanding (somewhat rightfully so).

Regardless, that's a problem for another day, as the group split away for the night.

The next day the four arrive at the meeting zone to another surprise - Somehow Pinguis has returned. He stands attentive on the apparently ever so popular stone slab, spear in his hand at the ready, although his condition is rather poor.

"Everyone!" He begins, "it is clear that Icarus has forsaken us! The relic must be appeased in order for our salvation. A sacrifice must be made!"

The four of you awkwardly glance at one another, partially because you're not sure what he's talking about, but also because you don't want that sacrifice to be you.

"Rest easy, fellow villagers! Myself and my clan will sacrifice ourselves for you. WITNESS ME, OH GREAT RELIC. WITH OUR SACRIFICE, SAVE THE REST OF OUR PEOPLE!"

Before anyone is able to stop this clearly deranged Pinguis, he swiftly spins his spear in his hand, turns the pointy end to his neck, and stabs right through. There's some sickening gurgles and some of his coughed up blood almost reaches you, then he falls forward, impaling himself even further as his now lifeless body crashes onto the stone slab.

The woman meanwhile, does not appear like she is around today.

--Day 10 Begins--

12 hours ago
"Oh my goodness."

Uros, turning slightly as to not see the bloodshed, casts a sympathetic glance at the others.

9 hours ago
“Alright, the spirits have given a blessing and a curse here,” Ashko said, eying the corpse with a strange look smoldering in his eye. “Our friend has gone mad and killed himself which is tragic, but his sacrifice will truly not be in vain. If we take his body and process the meat, that results in more food for the feast to placate the strange woman.”

“On that note, I have a plan to kill her without incurring her tribe’s wrath. I make a batch of poison and hold it in my mouth while we get the preliminaries done. One of you convinces her that we have a custom of worship which requires all the practitioners to drink from a communal bowl and pour the remainder before the artifact. Make sure my turn is before hers, and rather than drink from the bowl, I will backwash poison into it. Next, if she intends to leave the food as a feast for the artifact again, we simply let her leave. If she intends to take the food, we attempt to stall her until she dies. Whenever her tribesmen inquire, we can simply say that the spirits struck her dead for attempting to attack us, as we are the chosen ones.”

“Of course, this plan will require us to furnish as close to the amount of food that was originally here as possible. I am personally willing to process Pingius into food and provide a total of 250 units of food. Will the rest of you go along with me on this plan?”