Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

Copyright

9 years ago

I have a quick question about copyright. What rights does the author have pertaining to her/his work posted on this website?

Copyright

9 years ago

FIRST! But I honestly don't know.

Copyright

9 years ago

This has been discussed on the site, but long story short, Alexp says that the author owns full copyright on anything you write, while the copyright seems to actually state that the site owns it.

Copyright

9 years ago

What's up with that?

Copyright

9 years ago

That means Alex owns our souls. Your soul will be devoured as you offered it on a silver plate to him. 

Copyright

9 years ago

Well, that makes about...four people with claims to my soul.

Copyright

9 years ago

Alexp said that all it means is that you license anything your put on the site (posts, stories, etc) to halogen studios, which only allows them to share it with the rest of the internet.

To quote,

"You own the copyright to all of the (original) writing you post here. Let me rephrase: anything you post here (be it stories, messages, comments, etc) do not become our property.

By posting your material on this website, you licence it to us so that we have the legal right to share it with the rest of the Internet. We do not own it, but are allowed to use it. How is this different? If we owned it, you would hold no rights to it; however, since you are the owner, you retain all rights and can do whatever you want with your work. We could not stop you if you wanted to publish the same work you posted here in a book, nor would we be entitled to any royalties from that.

To ensure that it is "on record" that you own the copyright, you can register your work with the Library of Congress. A bit overkill if you'd ask me, but that's how people do it.

It is your responsibility to ensure that your work stays safe. The database holding your writing (and a lot of other stuff) is backed up on a nightly basis to a server on the other side of the country. However, anything could happen: I could get hit by a bus, there could be a nuclear holocaust, etc. Although there is no mechanism to export your storygames to a single file, you could always print off, save to Word, or otherwise save pages from your stories."
-http://chooseyourstory.com/forums/the-lounge/message/2772

Copyright

9 years ago

To me, it sounds like the ToS is long due for some changes to make it very clear who owns what and the difference between licensing and owning copyright. The raw text in the Terms of Service and Alexp's post have been contradicting each other for far too long.